Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #61
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
What I don't like about Sony's new line of models is, there is no direct substitute to 505. (hence in some countries it costs more than PRS-600 which should be more expensive to manufacture I guess). The only non touch screen version in the new line is 300, which not only has smaller screen (one could argue, that it's even better for some purposes) but also has no expansion slots/ less number of keys.

And to the "you can see the difference between 505 vs 600 only when comparing them" that's not true in my case. I used to comfortably (!) read from my 505 in a rainy weather using no artificial light. I can't do the same with 600.

One has to not though, that contrast even of the same models differs. It could be that I've got worse than usual 600 and better than usual 505...

PS
Regarding PRS 900, according to:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...=367154#367154

3G module in the reader supports all GSM versions as well as EDGE and not only those (US), claimed to be supported by Sony.
Concerning the GSM modul:
On nook I've been able to exchange the US AT&T SIM card and replace it by my German on. Of course, given the active "hacker scene" on Android, this was relatively easy.
Would be great to do the same for Sony 900. I'd love to shop from Sony, directly on the reader. I don't want to trick them and surf "for free" on Sony 900. I'd just like to use my German SIM with my existing flatrate.
Just exchanging the card doesn't work. On nook, we had to "hack" the OS, to dial my provider instead of AT&T. Something similar obviously would be necessary for Sony 900.
Of course easiest would be, Sony themselves finds an agreement with local providers and provides the local SIMs.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #62
m4st3r10us
Enthusiast
m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-900 (arrived)
Hi.
I have a question about PRS-900.
Has it got a dictionary? Can i consult it while i'm reading a book?
Thanks a lot.
m4st3r10us is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #63
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The PRS-900 does have a built-in dictionary. While reading a book, just double tap the word and the definition will show at the bottom of the screen. Only 2 or 3 lines will show but you can zoom into full dictionary mode if there is more information on that one word. Tapping a particular part of the screen will take you back to the book to continue reading. Selection words can be done either via stylus or fingernail.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #64
m4st3r10us
Enthusiast
m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.m4st3r10us has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
The PRS-900 does have a built-in dictionary. While reading a book, just double tap the word and the definition will show at the bottom of the screen. Only 2 or 3 lines will show but you can zoom into full dictionary mode if there is more information on that one word. Tapping a particular part of the screen will take you back to the book to continue reading. Selection words can be done either via stylus or fingernail.
Thanks a lot.
I'm very impatient to receive my prs-900. This is a good notice for me.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #65
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I heard from others the Sony 900 and 600 have one of the best implementations of a dictionary for in-book use.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #66
m4st3r10us
Enthusiast

Quote:
I heard from others the Sony 900 and 600 have one of the best implementations of a dictionary for in-book use.
Perfect.
I understand is an English dictionary, and i'll can use it with English books to improve my English. With Spanish books i don't need it
Thanks a lot.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #67
drk
drk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Have you guys noticed that the PRS-900, in single page landscape mode (default zoom) wastes precious screen area with grey margins? And that in annotation mode, the annoying grey margins get even bigger?? WHY did you do this to me, SONY??

Is this utterly annoying, or is it just me??

I bought the PRS-900 exclusively for reading/annotating technical PDFs, mainly because of the larger screen. However with all that wastage the landscape mode may become comparable with the PRS-600..

You can still use the new option to eliminate white margins, and the 'zoom in' feature to eliminate the grey margins. However.. you cannot annotate in the zoomed state, and the zoom level itself is lost at every page turn.. sigh..

In summary, reading/annotating technical PDFs with small fonts, math symbols etc. turns out to be impractical on the PRS-900, IMHO.

Really hoping that a miracle firmware update would at least introduce a preserved zoom - not to mention my ultimate dream which is to be able to annotate in the zoomed state..

SONY I PROMISE I WILL BUY A DOZEN PRS-900s, DEPLOY THEM IN MY RESEARCH TEAM, AND ENCOURAGE ITS USE ACROSS THE WHOLE UNIVERSITY IF YOU FIX THESE ISSUES!!!

Last edited by drk; 04-20-2010 at 05:58 PM.
drk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 AM   #68
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drk View Post

You can still use the new option to eliminate white margins

SONY I PROMISE I WILL BUY A DOZEN PRS-900s TO DEPLOY WITHIN MY RESEARCH TEAM, AND ENCOURAGE ITS USE ACROSS THE WHOLE UNIVERSITY IF YOU FIX ANY OF THESE ISSUES!!!

Is eliminate white margins feature being lost at every page change like the zoom feature?

If you are serious about your deployment proposition you have to contact Sony directly, prove to them you are capable of keeping your promise, e.i., you are a member of staff and and have fiscal means to implement it, then Sony might actually think about it. Otherwise, any school kid might type here that he/she will deploy hundreds of the reader all over the country if Sony solves one problem that bothers the kid
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 AM   #69
m4st3r10us
Enthusiast

Hi.
I received my prs-900 this morning. I'm very happy, it's really amazing. Dictionary, font size... a lot of things to enjoy.

The delivery time from USA is very good: 7 days to Spain.
Now, i have to use it.
Thanks for all.

Last edited by m4st3r10us; 04-20-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #70
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
In general, Sony has one of the most "polished" reader platforms in the market. Dictionary, zoom, design, battery duration, startup time, ...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #71
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
I would assume the 900 also comes to europe soon...
I would doubt that Sony plans to sell the 900 in Europe (or at least in Germany). It took Amazon years to get contracts with local carriers and therefore making one of the Kindles main features work here. I cannot see that Sony would have an easier job getting this done.

I think the 3G-connection is one of the 900s main features over the 600. I don't think that Sony will jump through loops just to get 3G working here. And how would they advertise the 900 if it doesn't bring 3G to the table? Something like "you pay additional features you cannot use", or "its main advantage is a slightly larger display so you don't have to do as many page turns as on the 600"?

Sorry, I'm being sarcastic here. No offense to anyone. I just wonder why companies don't sell stuff here with maybe less functionality and let people decide what to buy. I would probably have bought the 900, but I cannot get it in store. Same for the pricing of Irex. The 3G version in the US is cheaper than the non 3G in Europe. How obvious.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #72
drk
drk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Is eliminate white margins feature being lost at every page change like the zoom feature?
The 'eliminate white margins' option is preserved at page turns, but is lost once you add an annotation.

I still cannot believe that Sony produced a $400 dedicated e-book reader which does not keep the zoom level after you turn a page!?

I must say the hardware is great, I like the design, screen quality and battery life.

But in my opinion the firmware is a little annoying and prevents a true paper-like experience. Why not preserve basic layout options such as zoom & margin? Why flash the whole screen when the toolbar pops up (instead of flashing only the area under the toolbar)? Why do I have to tap 3 buttons (and go through FOUR screen refreshes) to go 'back' a hyperlink jump??

I am pretty sure most people will only read e-book formatted documents and periodicals and will not be affected by the issues I am highlighting here. But I find it very frustrating that only TINY changes in the firmware would have made this a great PDF reading/annotating device.

Last edited by drk; 04-20-2010 at 05:59 PM.
drk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #73
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

drk, I absolutely agree with you. The 600 shows the same behaviour and I'm using it mostly for pdfs. And I also think that this would be something a FW-update would solve. But I doubt that we'll ever get one
Old 04-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #74
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I would not hold my breath for F/W update if I were you.
They implemented zoom feature in 700, one year later 600, half year later 900....the same feature. If they wanted to implement the improvement you are talking about, they had plenty of time and opportunity.
I am sorry guys. I am with you. I could not believe my eyes when I read about this shortcoming of zoom in 700. Why have the feature in the first place then, if the whole point of zoom in PDF is to zoom in and then read page after page after page...?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #75
Mike_73
Guru

Yes, I know. Just wishful thinking. Actually, I'm more waiting for additional hacks than for a FW update. I allready have the russian hack for the clock. But unfortunately that's about all there is so far.

Tags
glare, sony 300, sony 505, sony 600, sony 900