Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Kindle book stores in UK & US

I'm a first time with amazon, so I'm trying to figure it all out.

I checked a few authors in both UK and US store and it appears that in UK they are 1-2 pounds cheaper than in US, which is a little surprising. I thought it will be cheaper in US. Although it's in my favor that UK is cheaper. I read a lot so every pound counts

Still, I checked only a few books between UK, US and a small "original" publisher of the book (different publishers for different books) and I think it's cheaper to buy from the small publisher. Only sometimes book is cheaper in amazon. Maybe some small publishers have bigger prices, I'd need to check way more books to see the pattern.
Also, small publishers offer multiple formats, which I like. Even if I'll read on kindle, I would like to also have pdf, epub (better for calibre) versions of the book so I have a choice to read on other devices without any bother. Conversion usually gives worse result than the original formats provided by the publisher.

So at the moment it seems as I am better of buying from small publishers. That's way I wanted to hear some comments. Like, what are the advantages and disadvantages of buying/not buying books from amazon?
Do they have discounts for very unpopular, unknown books (which I read )? I just want to know if I even need to bother with amazon book store or keep with my tiny publishers

Also I will be in UK, so if I decide to use the amazon book store it will be the UK version.

Thank you for your opinions.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Hi Noughty

the prices on the amazon.co.uk store include VAT; my understanding is that those on the US store have sales tax added at the point of sale, as the tax varies depending which state you are in. So they aren't really that much cheaper, in most cases.

ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
Hi Noughty

the prices on the amazon.co.uk store include VAT; my understanding is that those on the US store have sales tax added at the point of sale, as the tax varies depending which state you are in. So they aren't really that much cheaper, in most cases.

ren
Your logic slightly eludes me. As you very rightly say, UK eBook prices include 20% VAT. So how does that account for the fact that Noughty found that books were cheaper in the UK store?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

ren41, if I understood you correctly, you say that US is cheaper than UK. I wrote that in UK it looks cheaper. And near the price it was written that it includes VAT:

"includes VAT & free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet"

Also found a little article:
http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ki...peech-as-well/
Old 10-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Noughty,

The first thing to note is that if you buy a Kindle from Amazon UK, you'll only be able to buy e-Books from the UK store, not the US store.

Personally, I buy almost all my books from Amazon. They have the largest collection of any store, and "single source" shopping is very convenient.

Many eBooks are indeed cheaper in the UK than the US. It's often because they have different publishers, and British publishers seem to set lower prices. A thing to be thankful for!
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Noughty
Addict

Yes indeed. Unfortunately, I read very rare books from very small publishers and many of them ain't available on amazon (only the more popular ones are there, sometimes even a few books of one author while others ignored), so it still fails as a single source. If it had all the books - it would be a great advantage, the greatest disadvantage would be the lack of formats.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I use the excellent and free "Calibre" program to store and convert my eBooks. Generally speaking, books convert very well between Mobi and ePub, or vice versa. It's pretty rare to encounter problems with conversion.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Noughty
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I use the excellent and free "Calibre" program to store and convert my eBooks. Generally speaking, books convert very well between Mobi and ePub, or vice versa. It's pretty rare to encounter problems with conversion.
I use calibre too. I put a lot of work in managing my library there and I will still use it to manage it. Kindle management sucks (collections are poor substitute for all the info you can add in calibre, all the columns etc).

And while epub,mobi conversions are easy, but I do have a fair amount of pdf and sometimes I will need them for computer use, so then buying I always buy epub, mobi and pdf. With these formats you don't need to worry about anything

Buying from kindle I lose pdf. As you said epub is easily made.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 AM   #9
Noughty
Addict

I'd like to know the differences in UK and US kindle. For example I saw that you cannot play games on Kindle UK. Is there anything else? Since I'm buying from UK, I want to know what I am loosing.

SO far: games and special offers

Also libraries. Can you borrow with kindle in UK?

Last edited by Noughty; 10-05-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are no differences in the actual Kindle itself; the only differences lie in the services that are available in different countries. It's the same Kindle.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
Also libraries. Can you borrow with kindle in UK?
Not a the moment, although the system Amazon has put in place should be easy to modify so that it works with UK libraries that use the Overdrive system. To see if your library uses it, go to:

http://search.overdrive.com/
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Not a the moment, although the system Amazon has put in place should be easy to modify so that it works with UK libraries that use the Overdrive system. To see if your library uses it, go to:

http://search.overdrive.com/
The Kindle library loan system is currently only available in the United States.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #13
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
The first thing to note is that if you buy a Kindle from Amazon UK, you'll only be able to buy e-Books from the UK store, not the US store.
If you bought from Tesco (or another store) in the UK rather than amazon directly, could you register that to either a UK or US account? Likewise if you bought from a store in the US could it be registered with a UK amazon account?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
If you bought from Tesco (or another store) in the UK rather than amazon directly, could you register that to either a UK or US account? Likewise if you bought from a store in the US could it be registered with a UK amazon account?
You can. Mine was purchased from a Dixons in the UK and registered on Amazon.com.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Noughty
Addict

Quote:
There are no differences in the actual Kindle itself; the only differences lie in the services that are available in different countries. It's the same Kindle.
I understand that. I am asking about the services. For example Kindle lending?