Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
journey711
Enthusiast
journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kindle 2, Sony PRS350
Downloading issue help!

So I have had my 5" EZreader for about 6 weeks or so.. I use it for library books. So far no problems...until today. I downloaded The Passage. I also have this book audible on mp3. So I decided since it was so long and I don't drive much anymore (work out of home now) I would get the books together and I could read/listen wherever I am. Anyway, after the download I was trying to find the correct page and everything got stuck. So I re-booted and for awhile the computer did not even see the sd card or the reader at all. After resting for awhile, everything is back to normal except that I cannot get the book to come up on the reader. I went in and deleted it from the reader and sd card and re-downloaded. I can see it when I go through the computer, but still cannot pull book up on reader.
Help???
journey711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
My obvious guess is to ask if you used ADE to drag and drop the book onto the reader?

Since you have been using it for 6 weeks, I doubt that that is the answer, but doesn't hurt to mention it.

Also, is the battery fully charged? Sometimes the funniest things happen when the battery LOOKS charged, but isn't. System freeze is one of them.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
journey711
Enthusiast
journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Yes, and Yes This is my 5th or 6th book to download from the library. All the others have been no problem.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I agree with egeezer, sounds like a battery drain. MP3's and TTS drain the battery much faster than just reading ebooks.

As has been stated, the first several, repeat several, times you charge the battery, do it for a full 12 hours regardless of when the icon says its charged. And begin to charge when it shows two bars.

If you have been reading 6 weeks on you first charge, WOW. I assume you've charged it since you got it.

Charge, charge and charge again, when it gets to 2 bars, and leave it for 12 hours or more each. The "gas" gauge for the battery needs to get itself calibrated.

PS, you might want to start a log of when you charge and the bars left. I also indicate whether I'd been reading a lot, or using TTS.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To add to the others:
It is easy to damage the file system on the SD Card by disconnecting just a little too soon or just things that go *bump*.

Connect the device to your computer and run a "Check disk for errors" on the drive for the SDcard, tick Fix errors (DO Not have Calibre or another book manager running when you do this, the device will be busy and want to schedule)

I used the drive "Properties" to label my SD Card and the device Storage to make it easy to spot (PEz and Books1) in file browsers
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
...Charge, charge and charge again, when it gets to 2 bars, and leave it for 12 hours or more each. The "gas" gauge for the battery needs to get itself calibrated...
Thanks for the reminder AJ. Now that I think of it, my own "memory-effect" problem was with my new replacement unit when it showed 2 bars. I remembered it had to be fully charged a couple times, but had forgotten about the "recharge before one bar" part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I used the drive "Properties" to label my SD Card and the device Storage to make it easy to spot (PEz and Books1) in file browsers
Talk about a bulb coming on. It was so bright, I think it bubbled the paint on the walls. In all the discussions about ADE and determining which is the unit, and which is the SD Card, no one ever suggested just simply renaming one or the other or both.

Should be embarrassed for not having thot of it myself, actually.

How refreshing to now open ADE (or file browser) and not have to guess (used "EZPro" and "eBooks", btw). Made my day. Gave Journey karma for initiating the thread that got your casual response. lol.

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-28-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: 'Cuz I never say it the way I want it the first draft.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
To add to the others:
It is easy to damage the file system on the SD Card by disconnecting just a little too soon or just things that go *bump*.

Connect the device to your computer and run a "Check disk for errors" on the drive for the SDcard, tick Fix errors (DO Not have Calibre or another book manager running when you do this, the device will be busy and want to schedule)

After having pulled my SD card too soon one time I always go through this procedure: When the computer tells me the "writing" is finished, I go to another simple application, like my calendar, make a simple change, like a space in an item, then "save". This clears the buffer from the SD card. Then I pull my SD card from my slot.

About 99% of the time, I just transfer my books onto my SD card by moving the SD card, not hooking up the PP to my computer. Only when I want to put something on my internal memory do I hook up the PP.

Yes, I have all my SD cards labeled as to what they are. It never dawned on my to mention this, also. But it definitely helps in the directory listing when my ebook SD card is labeled.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
journey711
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I am still struggling with this. I have contacted customer service. I did the disk error check. All is okay.
I have a couple of books on here that have been here for awhile. They will open. I downloaded another library book besides the original problem one and it will not open either. However, if I go through the computer to the reader disk and open it there, all is well but I have to read it on the computer. Am I making any sense???? Whatever I did, I seemed to have done it big.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

I assume you have everything backed up on the computer, and of course, the library books would be available for re-downloading from your library.

This is a process I used when I got my replacement and couldn't load new library books, but could read old ADE books already on the disk. I know its not quite the same problem you are having, but what the heck.

1. Drag the "Digital Editions" folder from the SD AND from the Reader memory into a folder on your computer. (put one in a folder called "SD Card", the other in a folder called "Memory" just to keep straight where each came from).

1a. If you *move* them, then they no longer exist on your reader or SD card. That's what you want. So if you copy them, then go back and delete them.

2. Disconnect the reader from the computer using the normal safety steps to avoid screwing things up.

3. Close ADE, if it is open (not sure this matters, but can't hurt.)

4. Reconnect the reader and open ADE.

5. Drag your ADE books back to wherever you had them.

6. If it works, you can delete the folders you dragged to the computer cuz you shouldn't need them again. If it doesn't work, providing everything still works the same wrong way, you probably can still delete the folders from the computer.

I went thru these steps because my new reader could read all the books already on the SD card, but ADE wouldn't let me drop new books onto the card until I "authorized" the new reader. But perhaps you system has gotten confused in a different way, and starting over might kick something loose.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
You said in the first post that you had to reboot it. Did you remember to reset the clock? That would keep the library books from loading, but not books you have paid for or downloaded for free.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
journey711
Enthusiast

Thanks eGeezer. I tried your suggestion....no success. I did change the clock. Customer service has given me a couple of things to try as well, but I haven't heard back from them after telling them nothing was working. I can't imagine what I could have done that has blown this thing up this way. I guess I will be in the market for a new ereader just for library books.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey711 View Post
Thanks eGeezer. I tried your suggestion....no success. I did change the clock. Customer service has given me a couple of things to try as well, but I haven't heard back from them after telling them nothing was working. I can't imagine what I could have done that has blown this thing up this way. I guess I will be in the market for a new ereader just for library books.
Journey
You are not putting hundreds of books into the single root folder by any chance?
You must use sub-folders for larger counts of files(includes those normally hidden).
Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
journey711
Enthusiast

Not hundreds of books. I use this reader for library books mostly. Some freebies, but total of books on here (besides the free ones it came with) is not usually more that 10 - 15.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey711 View Post
Not hundreds of books. I use this reader for library books mostly. Some freebies, but total of books on here (besides the free ones it came with) is not usually more that 10 - 15.
Was just checking that all the stones had been turned over

If that few files, causes a problem, then something is really broke bad.

The books you are having issues not seeing. They have DRM?
Could your reader be authorized to a different account than the PC that checked them out of the Library was?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Going back to the beginning, your description is exactly that of someone who dragged and dropped ADE drm books without using ADE to do it. But it also sounds like that Sony problem I don't know much about where Sony can't handle mixing adobe epubs and adobe pdfs. They can only have one or the other, but not both at the same time on the reader.

Is there a chance that up til now you have been downloading adobe epubs and just happened to now download some adobe pdfs? I know I'm reaching, again, but this is very confounding.

Do you have another SD card you can wipe and and start over?

As with theducks suggestion, even tho you are only dealing with 10-15 books, are they in the "Digital Editions" folder? I assumed that is where they appear, since that is where mine go when transferring within ADE.