Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
What's Next For Calibre?

Now that 6.0 is out and the weekly releases has restarted, I am curious as to that lies ahead for calibre? What is on the immediate agenda in the coming days, weeks, and months other than bug elimination? What is on the top of the epic TODO list? What exciting things are planned for us lucky users?
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm I try not to keep a list of upcoming features as I typically tend to work on random things in the order that I feel like working on them. But here are various ideas floating around in the calibre dev sphere:

1) Various GUI tweaks to make the calibre interface a little more streamlined and add a browse by covers mode [user_none's baby largely]

2) Meta recipes (i.e. recipes of recipes so you can create your own customized news source with news from different places combined) [GRiker is going to be the point man on this]

3) Access to public domain collections of e-books directly within calibre with a nice search interface etc

4) Support for multiple libraries instead of the current only one.

5) A server backend as a library so that you can store your books in a central place and access them using calibre (or a web interface or an OPDS feed) from anywhere. You can already do this using calibre's content server, but that's a little challenging to setup.

(5) is going to require some thought as it won't be free (bandwidth/hosting costs)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
(5) is going to require some thought as it won't be free (bandwidth/hosting costs)
Just an idea. You could set it up to work with Amazon S3 service (or similar like live mesh or dropbox or something). That way, it is up to the user to pay Amazon for hosting/bandwidth costs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Just an idea. You could set it up to work with Amazon S3 service (or similar like live mesh or dropbox or something). That way, it is up to the user to pay Amazon for hosting/bandwidth costs.

BOb
Hmm interesting, I'll keep that in mind, thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Ralob
Connoisseur

Awesome news Kovid. I can't wait!
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Hmm, the problem with a server hosting a calbre library may bring on concerns about copyright, etc. Even if the library is only open to the user, I could imagine that some DRM/authors could become anxious at the very least in that they may be concerned with access to that served library on how to make sure that only one user can access the served library and that login/pw aren't shared. Then, the calibre team and Kovid may have to waste energy and effort defending or programming more and more based on the legal desires of authors/DRM license holders, and not on improving calibre as they have been doing.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah DRM problems are what has kept me from doing this so far. One possible solution is to limit the number of downloads per book per format to x a day (only download not uploads). That should take care of concerns about using the service to distribute pirated copies and still not restrict typical use cases too much.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
caluser
caluser began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
How about way to manage multiple media cards. I.e if we have multiple SD cards then there should be way to manage books on the sd cards. Right now it is all or nothing.

There is no way to make separate lists of books per SD card. I am using tags for this but this gets onerous and labour intensive after a couple of dozen books. How to figure out incrementally what books are on SD card and which ones are not ? etc
caluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
Ralob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by caluser View Post
How about way to manage multiple media cards. I.e if we have multiple SD cards then there should be way to manage books on the sd cards. Right now it is all or nothing.

There is no way to make separate lists of books per SD card. I am using tags for this but this gets onerous and labour intensive after a couple of dozen books. How to figure out incrementally what books are on SD card and which ones are not ? etc
Open a ticket at the calibre site and I am sure Kovid will look into it if he gets the time.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Any new thoughts on the server edition of calibre? My wife left her Kindle at home the other day and we were out and about and it would have been great to pull out Stanza on the phone and download the book from calibre. I know I can do that now, but then I have to keep that copy of calibre running, which prevents me from updating the library on another computer.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It will be a while, before that's implemented, probably not before early next year.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool. In the meantime I think I will think about implementing a way to automatically import a book that's added to a folder on my server. That should be possible, but I'm worried I won't be able to do it while calibre is running.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Hi Kovid,

The content server is a great current feature of calibre. I think it's one of your most compelling features in fact. The only problem I have with it is that if I use the same folder (on my windows home server) to store the central database and have that folder set up in all implementations of calibre on our home's multiple pcs there is one limitation. That limitation is that if I add books to the central database folders from any other PC (using calibre) the content server will not be updated until I log into calibre on whs and check the database from within the whs installation of calibre. Other than that it's wonderful
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
Could you add copying between memory cards - easy one, with protecting all attributes ?
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
astrodad
Guru

The one feature I wish I had from the content server is to add books through it. I have set up plugins to convert books on the fly when I add them and it would be great to do it all from the browser.