Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #211
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's pretty much what mine does when it goes to sleep. The blank screen for two or three seconds and then the cover and banner.

As to downloading five kepubs, I think that is so the home screen is full with only downloaded books. I haven't worked why it picks those five.
Near as I can tell, my Kobo first displays the last 5 books in alphabetical order by title in internal storage. If less than 5 books, it displays whatever number you have from 0 (empty library message) to 4 thumbnails.

After a factory reset and processing, it shows the last 5 books by alphabetical order whether they are on the internal or external storage. For me at this time, it shows 2 test epub 3 files in Japanese (one vertical, one horizontal) renamed to .kepub.epub as the first two files and then 3 books with English titles (The Zap Gun, Yellow Eyes, Year of the Jackpot).

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #212
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
That's pretty much what mine does when it goes to sleep. The blank screen for two or three seconds and then the cover and banner.

As to downloading five kepubs, I think that is so the home screen is full with only downloaded books. I haven't worked why it picks those five.
Mine goes blank screen for about 2 second, then into sleep mode, which is indicated in the top banner, evidently like all of you.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #213
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Well, I received replies from 3 different Kobo sources.

I sent another request for support to Kobo Customer Care, just to have Glo #3 on the books. Sameer wanted me to send him the books on the device, so I've also sent him a .zip file of the device's contents, or at least what I can see from Windows. He promised to have someone contact me.

A few days later, Danny Staffieri emailed me. I'm going to go on the assumption that Danny is a male, but if I'm wrong, Sorry Danny. He didn't indicate whether he was Sameer's contact or not, but I will assume that's the case.

He wanted my contact info so that I could return the latest Glo for analysis. Great idea.

A few hours later, I got an email from Kobo Customer Care, also asking for my contact information. So now I don't know if all parties are working in tandem, or the off-shore Kobo Customer Care has taken it upon themselves to replace it again.

Emailed Sameer and cc'd Danny, asking for clarification of who I should return this to, and to ensure they're both on the same page, but have so far not had a response.

I also mentioned that I would be amenable to getting a full credit for this Glo, and applying it towards the purchase of an Arc. At least with Android I know I have a choice of readers.

I will update the thread when I hear more.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #214
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Near as I can tell, my Kobo first displays the last 5 books in alphabetical order by title in internal storage. If less than 5 books, it displays whatever number you have from 0 (empty library message) to 4 thumbnails.

After a factory reset and processing, it shows the last 5 books by alphabetical order whether they are on the internal or external storage. For me at this time, it shows 2 test epub 3 files in Japanese (one vertical, one horizontal) renamed to .kepub.epub as the first two files and then 3 books with English titles (The Zap Gun, Yellow Eyes, Year of the Jackpot).
But, after a factory reset, there aren't any sideloaded books, so it can's show them. Any books shown come from Kobo in some way. The books Mrs_Often and I were talking about are kepubs from our Kobo library. With the archiving function in 2.4.0, it doesn't automatically download all the kepubs, only five which will then appear on the home page. What Mrs_Often was wondering was how does it choose which to download. When I last did this, I noticed as well and wondered. There wasn't an obvious link and I didn't look into it more.

But, I am interested in the books you are seeing. A while ago I had a quick look at the order the sideloaded books were processed in. As far as I could see, it was alphabetical order based on the file path. The file names I use are the default calibre save template which is "{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}". That would put something from "Wells, HG" would be likely to appear on the home screen after a logout. Or if added in a large batch of books. Do your file names agree with this or do I need some more testing?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #215
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm 21 full days in since charging, 40.5 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and at 39%...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #216
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
What Mrs_Often was wondering was how does it choose which to download. When I last did this, I noticed as well and wondered. There wasn't an obvious link and I didn't look into it more.
I think they might be the five most recent purchases/downloads/reads... I remember two of them being the most recent purchase, and one being the kepub I most recently started reading (I never read the others)... I can't remember what the other two books were. But, basically, it seems like the five most recent "activities." Which would make sense really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm 21 full days in since charging, 40.5 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and at 39%...
I have a new plan. When my Glo gets exchanged, I will receive yours instead of a new one

(Yes, I know, that's only the result of a plan, but hey, if I tell you my plan, you'll find a way to prevent it!)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #217
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalinor View Post
You said you were not logged into Facebook or even on wifi, but that does not mean that the device OS is not waking up to try and transmit data. For those of you who are more technical and having this issue, try keeping the device connected to wifi and set up a network monitor to see how often the device wakes up from sleep to try and connect to outside servers.
Thanks for the tip. Sounds interesting. However, why would this only affect some of us, and not everyone?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #218
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I have a new plan. When my Glo gets exchanged, I will receive yours instead of a new one

(Yes, I know, that's only the result of a plan, but hey, if I tell you my plan, you'll find a way to prevent it!)
Uh, oh, glad I checked the forum. Going to put my Glo back in the vault again. No wait, I'll take it with me. Or maybe I'll hide it in the... Oh, damn, I'm typing out loud again...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #219
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I accidentally left my Glo on overnight with the light on. I usually read before going to bed, but last night I read a little in bed. When I finished, I put the Glo face done on the bedside table. When I picked it up this morning, it hadn't gone to sleep. And something was selected on the screen. What I think happened is that I put it down on some paper that had the corner turned up. And that blocked the IR beams and kept the Glo awake.

The battery level was at 84% after this. I don't know what it started at, but I had it connected earlier in the evening, so it was close to full. The non-sleep was probably about nine hours. And the light was at the minimum.

That isn't a very scientific test. I am going to repeat this tonight but with the options turned to "Never" and nothing touching the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #220
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Uh, oh, glad I checked the forum. Going to put my Glo back in the vault again. No wait, I'll take it with me. Or maybe I'll hide it in the... Oh, damn, I'm typing out loud again...

Quote:
I accidentally left my Glo on overnight with the light on. I usually read before going to bed, but last night I read a little in bed. When I finished, I put the Glo face done on the bedside table. When I picked it up this morning, it hadn't gone to sleep. And something was selected on the screen. What I think happened is that I put it down on some paper that had the corner turned up. And that blocked the IR beams and kept the Glo awake.

The battery level was at 84% after this. I don't know what it started at, but I had it connected earlier in the evening, so it was close to full. The non-sleep was probably about nine hours. And the light was at the minimum.

That isn't a very scientific test. I am going to repeat this tonight but with the options turned to "Never" and nothing touching the screen.

Interesting! And battery drain almost coincides with regular bad battery sleep. Typically from 100% to anywhere between 80 and 90%, within 24 hours. So maybe your screen touching paper caused some more drain than 'normal' for bad battery behaviour.

Will be interested in your more scientific test results!

As for my hopeful test with completely 'new' internal µSD: rather disappointing first 24h. 100% around 9am on day one, 87% around 9am on day 2. Constant sleep, no usage. So. The problem doesn't seem to be in the factory firmware...

Which leaves personal settings and hardware, as books have been eliminated (unless books on device that aren't being read also count).
Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #221
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Which leaves personal settings and hardware, as books have been eliminated (unless books on device that aren't being read also count).
Do you have an exercise books or coffee table books on the Glo?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #222
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Do you have an exercise books or coffee table books on the Glo?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #223
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
But, I am interested in the books you are seeing. A while ago I had a quick look at the order the sideloaded books were processed in. As far as I could see, it was alphabetical order based on the file path. The file names I use are the default calibre save template which is "{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}". That would put something from "Wells, HG" would be likely to appear on the home screen after a logout. Or if added in a large batch of books. Do your file names agree with this or do I need some more testing?
To chip in my tuppence, as I've just been dealing with moving sets of EPUBs onto my new Glo/2.4.0 - after a fresh load, that section of the Recent Reads order is in straight Z-A order by raw book title, regardless of directory, filename, or opf:file-as metadata. (I say Z-A order because, of course, the Most Recent files are the ones last processed, so the Zs appear at the top of that list.)

Caveat: This is manually loading books onto the internal memory, not using Calibre or other software.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #224
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Just spent ages typing a really good post, only for the Preview page not to come up when I renewed my login, so I'll type this one quickly to beat the time-out.

Based on what Thalinor said, is it possible that the Glo(e)s with bad battery life are reaching for a wifi signal but can't find one? Could those with a problem and those without post how strong the signal is where the Glo is kept most often, please? Just because you think wifi is off, it may not be - software switches can be overridden by applications. Continuously looking for a wifi signal that isn't there will flatten a battery really quickly.

Last edited by Peakcrew; 03-16-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #225
Mrs_Often
Wizard

My Wifi signal is very very very strong all over my house, except in the attic, but the Glo is never in the attic...