Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Is the new 'agency' system going to change your buying habits?

I read the latest from the MacMillan people on the switch to the 'agency' model and they specifically address retailer discounts: they will not be allowed. MacMillan will set the price and everyone will abide by it. I have seen some speculating here and elsewhere on what this means for places like Fictionwise which offer club discounts etc. I am wondering if anyone is thinking this will change their buying habits.

For me, I think it will mean that I will patronize Fictionwise MUCH less frequently. The eReader format is pokey and really a pain to convert. I have put up with it because sometimes they offer discounts, or micropay rebates, to such an extent that it is worth it to me to get it from them (for example if I have something else I want to get with the micropay). But if that advantage is now going to disappear and the book will cost the same no matter from whom I buy it, then I will buy it somewhere they have the epub, which is MUCH less of a hassle to liberate, and is more future-safe because many devices will read it directly and it converts with much less manual labour into mobipocket for the Kindle.

The big winner for me will probably be Kobo as they sell in Canadian prices. If a new release comes out and I want it, I will probably look there first.

I may still use Fictionwise for the occasional multiformat purchase (although I have pretty much stopped buying random books of those because many of them are terrible). I do enjoy my multiformat magazine subscriptions and would like to keep them. But really the only incentive to deal with the eReader format has been the Fictionwise reward system, so I think they are really going to lose---from the standpoint of *me* as a customer---with this new system.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think retailers will still be free to operate loyalty schemes, which is essentially what the micropay system is. They just can't alter the headline price, which is what you're paying upfront.

Agency pricing is something that I hope will vanish, though - it's not good for the industry.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Like "Click HERE to see the real price.

or

1000 Frequent flier miles with purchase.

or

Buy 25 eBooks and get the award winning Nook for FREE!

Anyone remember S&H Green Stamps?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Assuming more books I want will be priced higher than I'm willing to pay for approximately the next year, starting soon? I'll buy LOTS LESS books...maybe I'll get through some of my TBR pile.

Either that, or it's back to the usenet for bootleg copies (or the library for - gasp! - paper copies) until the prices are reasonable.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Well, there are an awful lot of public domain classics I've never read along with those I've been meaning to re-read. My to-be-read queue has been too full of new authors and books because I've been able to find them at reasonable prices. If that ends I'll catch up on my queue and finally get to the classics. That should keep me busy for a few years. I'll intersperse those with new books from Baen and others who maintain decent prices.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I did not buy many eBooks before, and I will certainly NOT buy more after.

I still want rental.

Public Library, Gutenberg, Smashwords(yes, purchase) - will dominate my eBooks until.

Public Library, paper books borrowed from friends/family, and purchased used paperbacks will dominate my paper books.

Given the lack of rights and DRM, rental is a better fit anyway.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm going to wait and see the prices on the books I want when I want to buy them - and base my purchasing on that rather than the pricing model.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What Lemurion said. Nobody seems to have considered the fact that, if Sargent is speaking straight, a lot of those e-books that are at hardcover price now might just come down to under $10 each as soon as the pricing model goes into effect.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It will be very interesting to watch -- and to see how this "agency model" gets past the "price fixing" laws. I seriously doubt the agency rules will prevent "customer loyalty" programs like micro pay. If anything, more sites will be resorting to such schemes as a way to lower price without "lowering the price".

I was in sympathy with the publishers over Amazon's "sell every NYT Bestseller for a loss" policy. It's one thing for a Wal-Mart or a Costco to buy a million Harry Potter books and sell them as a loss leader. It's another thing to have Amazon set the "value" of all books to $9.99.

I'm glad that Amazon caved because had they not, then ebooks would not be released until later -- like paperbacks. I like reading ebooks over hardbacks and like to have the OPTION to "buy now and pay more" or "wait and pay less".

But I'm not so sure how "every book seller is now an agent" thing is going to go over.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I'm glad that Amazon caved because had they not, then ebooks would not be released until later -- like paperbacks. I like reading ebooks over hardbacks and like to have the OPTION to "buy now and pay more" or "wait and pay less".
Well, I've got news for you - e-versions of some newly-released titles are not being released concurrently at all.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Seli
Connoisseur
Seli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Well, I've got news for you - e-versions of some newly-released titles are not being released concurrently at all.
Which is something that Macmillan says will be solved (for their books at least) upon introduction of the agency model.
Seli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
This is true, but it will only be relevant to the Macmillan situation if this holds for Macmillan books after March 31, when they are planning to implement the new model.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seli View Post
Which is something that Macmillan says will be solved (for their books at least) upon introduction of the agency model.
Not just Macmillan - Simon & Schuster is withholding releases as well.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #14
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
I did not buy many eBooks before, and I will certainly NOT buy more after.

I still want rental.

Public Library, Gutenberg, Smashwords(yes, purchase) - will dominate my eBooks until.

Public Library, paper books borrowed from friends/family, and purchased used paperbacks will dominate my paper books.

Given the lack of rights and DRM, rental is a better fit anyway.
Don't expect any library ebooks for MacMillan titles. Sargent has already said in print that he's against them.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Absolutely. If I am going to have to pay more, than I'm going to be a lot more particular about what I purchase. By extension I will probably focus more on works published by those that comprehend the digital medium.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote