Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Want2BKindle2usr
Want2BKindle2usr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
has anyone tried the audio reader functionality?

It says that it can read ANY book. Wondering if anyone has tried it out and has any feedback on it. I noticed that they classify this feature as 'experimental'.

Can't wait to hear it!
Want2BKindle2usr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
kirwoodd
kirwoodd doesn't litterkirwoodd doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
Its no audio book, but it sounds better than I thought that it would. After about 15 seconds I had listened to about 10 seconds more than I care to in my entire life. I feel likes its pretty useless.

But that's just one guys opinion.
kirwoodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirwoodd View Post
Its no audio book, but it sounds better than I thought that it would.
That describes my reaction, as well. It's not bad for text to speech, and I can see using it when I have eye fatigue after long days at work.
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
sorahl
sorahl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
it's a feature i will use less than infrequently. as I suspected it's like the electronic voices you can produce on your computer and how often do you use those?? it is NOT an audiobook killer, contrary to the Authors Guilds doom and gloom pronouncement
sorahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I hear it does make a few mistakes for example, instead of Heimlich maneuver it says Heineken remover, or instead of chest of drawers it will say Chester's drawers
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
stymiest
stymiest began at the beginning.

Overall I think it's pretty good considering that it's being synthesized by a handheld eBook reader. I would suggest that you switch to the female voice, IMO I think it's a little easier to understand and the pronunciation seems better.
stymiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I can't imagine what it would make of some of the made-up words and names, even languages in a lot of the science fiction I read. :-)
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirwoodd View Post
Its no audio book, but it sounds better than I thought that it would. After about 15 seconds I had listened to about 10 seconds more than I care to in my entire life. I feel likes its pretty useless.

But that's just one guys opinion.
That.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For Obama instead of saying "oh-bah-ma" (rhymes with Bahama) the voice says "oh-ba-ma" (rhymes with Alabama).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
bobotter
bobotter began at the beginning.

It's not perfect, but it works better than I expected. If I was ever in a situation where my hands were not free I could see using it.
bobotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
The text-to-speech feature has been getting my dyslexic co-workers/friends to "out" themselves. They've heard I have the unit and have been coming round to get a listen.

I've personally fed it a wide range of texts from the Bible ESV to Use of Weapons to SOA for the Next Millennium and it's chewed through it all with equal aplomb.

I've also fed it Bluebeard's Wife but found it doesn't really put in the right "breathless quality" in all the right places so some genres do work better than others.

And there is indeed no magic dust inserted by Amazon into the titles. It quite happily reads titles from Fictionwise.

And no, I don't think the male voice sounds like Tom Cruise. And yes, I do think it would be cool if it could flip between male and female voices based on cues in the text.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #12
Argent009
www.kindle2hacks.com
Argent009 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-501/Kindle 2
Frankly I think the feature is utterly worthless. There are so many much better text to speech engines out there that they could have used that it boggles the mind why they'd wind up with something that makes Microsoft Sam sound advanced by comparison. I would not have minded if this feature had not been available and maybe they lowered the price a bit or instead, given us a useful feature like folders, or MP3 player controls or something.
Argent009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
kuniko
kuniko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
It is definitely not a substitute for a good audio book...it reads much too fast and in a complete monotone, and that's even if you can get past the robotic voice (which isn't as bad in it's tone as others I've heard even if the delivery is still robotic).

It didn't transport me into the book at all, not like a good audio vocalist can. I would delete the application if I could so as to have more room for books.
kuniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I played around with it for a few minutes, but it's pretty much just a novelty
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I can see how it might come in handy on a long drive, but I wouldn't put "Mouse On a Motorcycle" on it and sit it next to my grandson for his bedtime story...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, read out loud