Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Kindle 3 no longer on Amazon UK

I'm sure that when Amazon first announced the Kindle 4, they said that they would continue to sell the Kindle 3
(also stated here - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ader,3040.html)
but the Kindle 3 on Amazon UK's own site is only available second hand or from other sellers. I would always want a keyboard version since I annotate and search alot and the onscreen keyboard is far too slow to use on the 4 and I don't want Touch Screen. I've also noticed the lower powered specs of the K4, although the unit itself would be perfect for my mother who would find the keyboard a hindrance.

I do hope that the death of Steve Job doesn't change Amazon's consumer-driven policies so that they become yet another Sony or Samsung.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Hmm, reading further down TomsHardware review, I'll have to modify my comment that the Kindle 4 would be better for my mother. The 'Squeeze' page-turn button would be totally useless for her since she has weak thumbs but she managed the 'Press' page turn on my K3 just fine. I'll just have to hope that Amazon will review that in their next version or that we can pick up a 3 for her.
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
I'm sure that when Amazon first announced the Kindle 4, they said that they would continue to sell the Kindle 3
(also stated here - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ader,3040.html)
but the Kindle 3 on Amazon UK's own site is only available second hand or from other sellers.
They are currently showing a refurbished K3 available at £115.99.

Quote:
I do hope that the death of Steve Job doesn't change Amazon's consumer-driven policies so that they become yet another Sony or Samsung.
You've slightly lost me there. What on Earth does the death of Steve Jobs have to do with Amazon?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Maybe I'm confused as to what you are referring to, but the Kindle 3 is now referred to as the Kindle Keyboard and is still available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wirel...=sa_menu_kdp32
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Maybe I'm confused as to what you are referring to, but the Kindle 3 is now referred to as the Kindle Keyboard and is still available:

I think they're referring to the Kindle 3 wifi-only model, which is no longer featured on the Kindle pages, but can be found by a search, currently only showing refurbished models.

My guess would be that they're making a clear distinction between the Kindle 4 (wifi-only, no keyboard) and the Kindle Keyboard 3G (wifi and 3g, with keyboard) for the UK market.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Hmm, reading further down TomsHardware review, I'll have to modify my comment that the Kindle 4 would be better for my mother. The 'Squeeze' page-turn button would be totally useless for her since she has weak thumbs but she managed the 'Press' page turn on my K3 just fine. I'll just have to hope that Amazon will review that in their next version or that we can pick up a 3 for her.
I saw Kinde 3 models and covers on sale brand new from Staples in Cambridge.
Also the last time I was in John Lewis Cambridge they had plenty there.

I suspect that amazon are offloading their stock to various retail outlets.

Kind regards

John
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
evwool
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You've slightly lost me there. What on Earth does the death of Steve Jobs have to do with Amazon?
As its founder and driving force we don't know to what extent he influenced Amazon's unusually 'consumer-centric' manner of operating. Removing older (and possibly superior) technology when something new comes out is something Samsung are very fond of doing. Try finding my excellent Samsung N210 netbook on Samsung UK's website (not the lower-spec N210 'Plus')
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
As its founder and driving force we don't know to what extent he influenced Amazon's unusually 'consumer-centric' manner of operating. Removing older (and possibly superior) technology when something new comes out is something Samsung are very fond of doing. Try finding my excellent Samsung N210 netbook on Samsung UK's website (not the lower-spec N210 'Plus')
You appear to be a little confused. Mr. Jobs was the founder of Apple. Mr. Bezos was (and still is) the founder of Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
evwool
Connoisseur

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the Kindle Keyboard WiFi model rather than the 3G.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
andavane
Zealot

Quote:

Indeed.
I've written to Amazon who have replied:

Quote:
Please note that, currently Kindle Keyboard (Wifi only) is unavailable from Amazon.co.uk. This is due to strong customer demand, the shipment of some versions of Kindle Keyboard may be delayed. Orders are prioritised on a first come, first served basis.

Please be assured that, the Kindle Keyboard (Wifi only) version will be back in stock as soon as possible. Currently we have only Kindle Keyboard (Wifi+3G) version and latest Kindle 4 available from Amazon.co.uk.

Order now by following the appropriate link below:

Kindle: www.amazon.co.uk/kindle
Kindle Keyboard 3G: www.amazon.co.uk/kindlekeyboard3G
Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
Indeed.
I've written to Amazon who have replied:
Interesting.

Amazon seems to have a clear policy in place for the sale of each Kindle model.

They've gone to a lot of effort renaming everything "Kindle Keyboard" so it would be a huge waste for them to drop it now.

The policy of £89 "new" Kindle Wi-Fi and £149 Kindle Keyboard 3G made a lot of sense, but I do think there's still a place for the Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Interesting.

Amazon seems to have a clear policy in place ....The policy of £89 "new" Kindle Wi-Fi and £149 Kindle Keyboard 3G made a lot of sense, but I do think there's still a place for the Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi.
From the same letter:

Quote:
Please note that, currently Kindle Keyboard (Wifi only) is unavailable from Amazon.co.uk. This is due to strong customer demand, the shipment of some versions of Kindle Keyboard may be delayed. Orders are prioritised on a first come, first served basis.

Please be assured that, the Kindle Keyboard (Wifi only) version will be back in stock as soon as possible. Currently we have only Kindle Keyboard (Wifi+3G) version and latest Kindle 4 available from Amazon.co.uk.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
evwool
Connoisseur

I'm very much re-assured that Amazon have taken the trouble to answer this question, and so promptly too.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
I can't begin to imagine where this is going .....

Is there some sort of theory that I am unaware of?

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 10-15-2011 at 02:34 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
hasimirfenring
Malicious Lingerer
hasimirfenring began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I can't begin to imagine where this is going .....

Is there some sort of theory that I am unaware of?
He secretly ran Amazon from his hidden lair?
hasimirfenring is offline   Reply With Quote