Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
tidy still helping me - sigh...

I really appreciate having Sigil for epub creation, and would find life without it much more difficult when trying to create epub. Thanks Valloric, for a fine job, but please do something about tidy or its equivalent.

The last version of Sigil is greatly improved in that tidy is restricted so it doens't cause so many glaring errors when the careless user makes a mistake. However, it or something is still at work doing its helpful best to create more work for the user.

I noticed in marking italics with <i> I forgot to end an italic section with the </i>. OK, I expected that correcting that mistake would be the end of the problem of the entire text being in italics until the end of the .xhtml containing file. WRONG. Sigil had helped me by adding <i> at the beginning of every paragraph with a </i> at the end of every paragraph. Thus to correct my error, it was necessary to remove all those extra <i> and </i>

Why does Sigil insist on helping me so abundantly with my html code? I realize I often make mistakes, but with most html editors such as UltraEdit the program doesn't help me with my errors except by not having the proper colors in the text after an error. Is it possible to COMPLETELY turn off error checking and substitute something such as a notice of an error, or a color change, or even letting the epub author find the error on his/her own?
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I noticed in marking italics with <i> I forgot to end an italic section with the </i>. OK, I expected that correcting that mistake would be the end of the problem of the entire text being in italics until the end of the .xhtml containing file. WRONG. Sigil had helped me by adding <i> at the beginning of every paragraph with a </i> at the end of every paragraph. Thus to correct my error, it was necessary to remove all those extra <i> and </i>
That Tidy "feature" is very nasty, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
Is it possible to COMPLETELY turn off error checking and substitute something such as a notice of an error, or a color change, or even letting the epub author find the error on his/her own?
This is the general idea and something I'm working towards, yes. FlightCrew has to be integrated first so that I have something that can actually notice, locate and describe the errors. That can then be used to inform the user of errors when switching from CV to BV; the user could then either fix the errors by hand or let the "simplified" Tidy do its thing (the code has to become valid XML before leaving CV).

OPF and NCX editing is more important so it will come sooner, but that too depends on FC getting into the Sigil core.

We're slowly getting there.

I keep telling people that Sigil's obvious shortcomings are not there because I'm too stupid to notice them, but because I just don't have the time to iron them all out as fast as both you and I want me to . Hell, university work has been so tight lately it has almost been a full month since my last commit in the repo. That's the longest dev pause I've had since I started this project.

I think I'll have a few days for Sigil a week from now, but we'll see.

Last edited by Valloric; 12-19-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Valloric,
Thanks for the fast reply - I realize you are working under many restrictions as to your time, and that you will eventually take care of the few remaining problems with Sigil. I apologize for grousing about an already really fine program.

It worries me a bit, though, when you say that it will be necessary to have valid xml before leaving code view. What happens if we try to close Sigil with non-valid code? I would hope that there would be an intermediary save option that allows going back to the partially corrected epub.

Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote