Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 05-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
REB1200 smoked when charger used

I use as GEB1150 for most my reading but found a great deal on a REB1200 and it was my birthday- thought I'd try one out. The 1200 has no charge so I purchased a new adepter, using one of the recommendations from REB1200 for Dummies. I got an AC to DC Unregulated Wall Transformer from Jameco (#206958PS). I started charging the reader and within seconds I could smell that burning odor one does not want to ever smell around electronics. It was only plugged in for mere seconds but obviously something is very wrong.

Anything I might be able to do to further check out the unit? The specs are different between the 1150 charger I use and the 1200 I just bought so I can't try using a different charger. I didn't hear any popping and have no idea if it's already too late to try something else or not. Heck, I can't even find an ON button on this thing to try turning it on to verify there is no charge. Would trying a new battery be worth the effort?

Thanks and any suggestions would be appreciated. Meanwhile, back to my trusty 1150...

Last edited by Katelyn; 05-10-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn
I use as GEB1150 for most my reading but found a great deal on a REB1200 and it was my birthday- thought I'd try one out. The 1200 has no charge so I purchased a new adepter, using one of the recommendations from REB1200 for Dummies. I got an AC to DC Unregulated Wall Transformer from Jameco (#206958PS). I started charging the reader and within seconds I could smell that burning odor one does not want to ever smell around electronics. It was only plugged in for mere seconds but obviously something is very wrong.

Anything I might be able to do to further check out the unit? The specs are different between the 1150 charger I use and the 1200 I just bought so I can't try using a different charger. I didn't hear any popping and have no idea if it's already too late to try something else or not. Heck, I can't even find an ON button on this thing to try turning it on to verify there is no charge. Would trying a new battery be worth the effort?

Thanks and any suggestions would be appreciated. Meanwhile, back to my trusty 1150...
Heh, I did think that was too good a deal

To turn the unit ON, just hold the "Menu" button in the top-left corner for 1-2 seconds. After that, you can check for the charge the same way you do for the 1150. Also, it may help to try out replacing the battery if it doesn't turn on. If it doesn't work, you might want to ask for a refund from the person you brought it from (unless the auction was as-is, of course).
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert