Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
JTAL604622
Enthusiast
JTAL604622 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900
Smile Portable apps Calibre

I was wondering if anyone uses the portable apps Calibre...?

Its version i think 6.6, anyhow I love it and want to update it to the new version and am wondering how to do it.

Why you ask...I work as a IT Tech and spend long hours at work 6 days a week and work on my library when im not busy and then can work on it on my couch without having several libraries or versions. It works well on my 8gig thumbdrive never had a problem yet..

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathon
JTAL604622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAL604622 View Post
I was wondering if anyone uses the portable apps Calibre...?

Its version i think 6.6, anyhow I love it and want to update it to the new version and am wondering how to do it.
Usual procedure to update from this old version is to uninstall, delete C:\Program Files\calibre and install the new version. I'm not sure what, if anything portable apps installs, but if it runs without any impact on the host, then you shouldn't need to uninstall. I suspect the applicable files in C:\Program Files\calibre that would normally be deleted are on the thumb drive. I'd check nonetheless. Once it's uninstalled, you should be able to install and run it via a batch file. See here for how to set pointers:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=4
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Portable Calibre installation is targetted at providing a completely bootable environment. However if all you want is to carry around your Calibre Binaries and Calibre library on a thumb drive and all the machines you intend to use are running the same OS then this is comparitively easy.

The Windows batch file I use for this purpose is attached - hopefully it is relatively self-explanatory. If on another OS then the syntax will need adapting to that OS.

This batch file shows all the tricks that are used to control the placements of files used by Calibre. I use it primarily to run Calibre with good performance of a NAS - but it also works fine off a USB drive. I also have it set up to allow Calibre to be run from source (if present). You can comment out those lines if you want, but their presence does no damage and it is a useful reminder on how to do that.

The batch file makes no assumptions about Calibre being on the host machines search path, or anything in the host machines registry. This makes it very appropriate for using in environments where one cannot install software on the host. The only requirement that the batch file has on the host is that appropriate versions of system software (such as MSVC libraries) are installed.

To update to a new Calibre release all you have to do is install (or copy) the new release into the calibre binaries folder on the USB stick. Do not forget if you are running from source you also need to update the source as if source is present it over-rides the binaries.

Hope this helps?
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun (network).bat (3.0 KB, 389 views)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote