Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Nexus 7 Question

I've got an older Nexus 7, I've had it about a year. It's always worked like a dream, until the past few weeks. Now I'm noticing little glitchy things that might be nothing, and might even be app related.

Things like:

the android buttons on the bottom of the screen not disappearing while reading in Moon + Pro. turning the tablet off and on fixed this problem.

getting the "loading" circle for several seconds when turning pages in Aldiko reader. Again, powering it off and on fixed the problem.

Screen flickering when reading on any of the "daytime" themes in Moon +, which I never noticed before. It doesn't do it on any of the darker themes.

ebooks skipping whole chunks of a book. This is usually fixed by closing and restarting the app, and only happens in Moon + pro. For instance, I was at 30 minutes reading time left in a book, but there was a noticeable jump in the story. Reset the app, story picked back up and at 1:45 read time left.

Do you think these little things could be fixed by resetting it to factory defaults and starting again? It's never been done since I got it, and I really only read and web surf on it, so I won't lose a lot. I just know I've had to restart it a lot in the past couple of weeks, after hardly ever having to restart it in a year.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Are you running 4.3? Previous versions had a bug that would cause the EMMC to fill up and not recycle blocks properly, leading to the device slowing down.

If you're not on 4.3, then I suggest you upgrade and see how it behaves - keep it mind that the device will need a while to reclaim unused EMMC blocks after the upgrade, if that's the problem.

If you're already on 4.3 and still have these glitches, then I'd do as you said and try a factory reset.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Yep, it's at 4.3. I guess I'll mess with it tomorrow, almost bed *reading* time.

ETA: Is there a way to save the books on my reading apps so I can get them back fairly easily? I tend to add them in batches, then remove as I read them.

Last edited by diremommy; 11-10-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Try just wiping the cache first just start your Nexus, keep holding the power button though and hit volume down when you see the Google logo. You should get a menu which you can browse by using the volume keys for up and down and the power button to select if you go into recovery options you can wipe the cache then reboot.

Could also just be a Moon+ problem my Nexus 7 never got along with that app.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
diremommy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Try just wiping the cache first just start your Nexus, keep holding the power button though and hit volume down when you see the Google logo. You should get a menu which you can browse by using the volume keys for up and down and the power button to select if you go into recovery options you can wipe the cache then reboot.

Could also just be a Moon+ problem my Nexus 7 never got along with that app.
I keep trying this, and it just keeps bringing up the red exclamation mark and "no command." I get the boot menu, press recovery options, and either get the no command, or it goes right back to the Google logo.

ETA: Never mind, I finally got it, we'll see if I keep having issues.

Last edited by diremommy; 11-10-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
the android buttons on the bottom of the screen not disappearing while reading in Moon + Pro. turning the tablet off and on fixed this problem.

For me, it's not necessary to restart the entire Nexus 7 whenever this happens. So far, quitting Moon+ from the multitasking list, and restarting Moon+, has always restored the proper functionality for me. Can't wait for Android 4.4 which should allow us to hide those 3 Android buttons in Moon+ by default. (This currently only works if you flip pages using the volume button.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
diremommy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
For me, it's not necessary to restart the entire Nexus 7 whenever this happens. So far, quitting Moon+ from the multitasking list, and restarting Moon+, has always restored the proper functionality for me. Can't wait for Android 4.4 which should allow us to hide those 3 Android buttons in Moon+ by default. (This currently only works if you flip pages using the volume button.)
Thanks. I did figure out that just backing out of the book I'm reading and then opening it up again fixed the problem with the buttons.

Still ended up doing a factory reset on the tablet though, because it glitched in a major way the other night. Page turns causing the screen to spin up, and basically the whole screen was acting funny, not just when in Moon +. I did a reset and it seems to all be working fine now.