Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Firestorm1
Firestorm1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Loading ebooks on Kobo Mini

I use a Kindle 3 (keyboard) to read ebooks. I've learned most of the tricks of the Kindle, especially when combined with Calibre. Now my wife wants to buy a Kobo Mini while it is on sale. I know I'll be the one to load her ebooks so if there's anyone that can answer a question or two about it before she buys it, I would appreciate the help.
First: I live in an area where it's impossible to to get a Wi Fi connection so can I download ebooks and transfer them to the Kobo Mini from my desktop computer using the supplied USB cord just as I do with my Kindle?
Second: Will I have to use the Kobo Desktop Software to do this?

With the help of Calibre I know I can convert my many Kindle ebooks to EPUB format for the Mini.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Firestorm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm1 View Post
First: I live in an area where it's impossible to to get a Wi Fi connection so can I download ebooks and transfer them to the Kobo Mini from my desktop computer using the supplied USB cord just as I do with my Kindle?
Yes

Quote:
Second: Will I have to use the Kobo Desktop Software to do this
Nope. You don't need to install their software at all.

You'll find lots of tips for using the Kobo(s) with Calibre in the Kobo forum here on MR.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While you don't need the Kobo Desktop Software you will need either it or WiFi to perform the initial setup.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Firestorm1
Firestorm1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks to all! That answers my main questions.
Firestorm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
While you don't need the Kobo Desktop Software you will need either it or WiFi to perform the initial setup.
Do you need one of those if you're only working with sideloaded, non-DRM'd ebooks?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Some people manually edit the database to fool the setup.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Do you need one of those if you're only working with sideloaded, non-DRM'd ebooks?
The Kobo Mini will not work unless it is set up by wifi or desktop or editing the database.

I just registered mine with the desktop app as it seemed easiest/fastest.

After that I sent books to it using calibre with no problems.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote