Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
xoom v iPad 2 specs matter?

interesting article from Gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/#
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
My view on specs

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=59
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
A lot of users don't care about the RAM, the processor speed or even the screen, for many Apple users is it all about the image and prestige - the functionality is often a secondary consideration. This means that whatever the Xoom or its counterparts are capable of they will generally lose out to the 'consumer' market pull of Apple.

Personally, I take function over looks.......maybe thats because I'm so damned ugly myself lol!
I think you're conflating 'function' and 'specs'.

I would suggest that the majority of those who choose Apple products do so specifically because they care more about functionality (quality of OS, interface and build materials) than pure numbers.

To suggest most people choose them because they're buying into a 'lifestyle brand' is pretty patronising. Sure, there are some people who want that, and they're always good to make fun of.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
I think you're conflating 'function' and 'specs'.

I would suggest that the majority of those who choose Apple products do so specifically because they care more about functionality (quality of OS, interface and build materials) than pure numbers.

To suggest most people choose them because they're buying into a 'lifestyle brand' is pretty patronising. Sure, there are some people who want that, and they're always good to make fun of.

it may be patronising but this also a strong element of truth to it as well. how many people would buy a tablet if it didn't have that apple logo on the back. It may not be true for everyone, but it is true for a good bulk of apple consumers.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
well yeah, i love my mac because it looks so sleek, and makes me feel important
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
it may be patronising but this also a strong element of truth to it as well. how many people would buy a tablet if it didn't have that apple logo on the back. It may not be true for everyone, but it is true for a good bulk of apple consumers.
I bought the iPad for a very specific purpose: I was sick and needed something to browse web etc without sitting up. So it was just the perfect thing that came at perfect time for me.

People I know got their iPads for their kids. Or maybe they got it for themselves but the kids just took over. I have a two yo nephew. If he gets his hand on a laptop, he pries out the keys for fun. But he takes to the iPad like a duck to water. He figures out to turn it on, slide to unlock, launch app, flip pages to get to the app he wants, play angry bird (granted he never clears the levels, he just enjoys watching stuff crash and break). Kid and educational apps abound in the app store, most costing a few bucks.

I don't know why the bulk of people bought it. Maybe they're suckers. Or maybe they figured out a use for it. The fact that it was the only game in town was probably a key factor.

It's funny how when the iPad came out, people said what the heck was this thing good for. Why would anyone want a crippled net book. The price did surprise people. They'd been thinking 800-1000$ range. But plenty of people were skeptical, genuinely or cynically Remember Steve Ballmer said it wouldn't sell more than 100,000 or some such. Now it's like, when are you shipping your tablet.

I'm not going to upgrade to the iPad 2 (would have if they'd had a retina display, but that was a remote possibility all along). My next tablet may be honeycomb, if I can find all the apps I've accumulated on android. I hate the 16:9 AR though. It's not good for anything except watching movies. And I don't watch movies on my iPad. That's what the TV is for.

I'm sure apple tablet market share will drop to 30% in a few years. There's a lot to hate about apple and their closed ecosystem. But I'm glad there is a company like apple out there. A company willing to stick its neck out, create a new thing. They don't just say, whats out there that's good, that people want. They say, let's build this, they will come.

A company that cares about aesthetics and design. I'm not fashion conscious (I'm a slob), but I'm glad there are people who care about making things beautiful. Look at the kindle 1. I think "aggressively ugly" covers it. Steve Jobs wouldn't let that thing get past draft phase. Why do windows laptop come with stupid ugly stickers on them? It's embarrassing. You know why so many movies use apple product in them? Apple often doesn't pay for it. But if I were making a movie, I sure as hell wouldn't put something in that's ugly and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Crazy fascist apple will just freaking switch platform on its users. Sorry, but we think this is the direction we need to go. I pity their poor users, but otoh, I appreciate the ballsiness. I'm glad someone out there is willing to say this legacy crap is crap, we're getting rid of it. Take flash, for ex. Jobs is right. It sucks, it should die. The only reason the android crowd don't want to join Jobs is they need to have an advantage over apple, not because they believe a proprietary resource-hogging crash-happy legacy solution is the way to go. It's a merciless job, and I'm glad apple is there to do it.

Apple: evil, but good!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
interesting article from Gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/#
at least its much more balanced than this laughable piece from Engadget on the same topic http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/e...l-just-living/

which is surprising- Gizmodo less bamboozled by Apple's marketing speak than Engadget.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ecosystem matters more to me, as long as performance is similar enough. Ecosystem means OS upgrades, available programs (apps), and popularity (popular devices get more accessories). Apple's ecosystem kicks all others to the curb these days. Android still has a chance to improve but, for example, OS upgrades are a sore spot (not every device gets every update). Win mobile 7 has a shot too, as a new kid, but got a serious black eye on their first update roll-out "bricking" some phone.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Ecosystem matters more to me, as long as performance is similar enough. Ecosystem means OS upgrades, available programs (apps), and popularity (popular devices get more accessories). Apple's ecosystem kicks all others to the curb these days. Android still has a chance to improve but, for example, OS upgrades are a sore spot (not every device gets every update). Win mobile 7 has a shot too, as a new kid, but got a serious black eye on their first update roll-out "bricking" some phone.

I disagree, though I do know what you are saying. Apple's ecosystem is not only one its biggest attractions but also one of its biggest detractors as well.

That is the #1 reason I won't get an apple product. I llike the open ecosystem for example
My Droid supports DLNA meaning your can share your media (video's, pictures etc) with mulitple devices despite brand, I have a moto phone, an HP Laptop, a Samsung HDTV and a panasonic Blu ray and I can share with all these devices. with apple you need iTunes adn apple devices

I like to download movies from wherevery, Amazon,digital copies etc, and keep it for whatever device i want to share it on. Again Apple video downloads on Apple products

I have an iTunes account and Amazon adn Walmart Mp3 account. I use WMP as default downloader and have MediaMonkey for scanning WMP and I use it for all music management.

IOW's its the freedom to go and buy music, videos, apps etc where YOU want and store them where YOU want to.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
at least its much more balanced than this laughable piece from Engadget on the same topic http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/e...l-just-living/

which is surprising- Gizmodo less bamboozled by Apple's marketing speak than Engadget.
Well this is Josh from Engadget we are talking about. They could have brought out just a regular paper tablet and he would have gushed like a giddy little school girl.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
well yeah, i love my mac because it looks so sleek, and makes me feel important
drop an 'r' and typo the 'a' with an 'e' and you've described Apple perfectly, well at least a certain segment of the users.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't care, as long as Apple loses.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Yes specs matter: but different specs matter to different people.

For some it's the price, others the screen, others the number of apps - and those are just examples.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Yes specs matter: but different specs matter to different people.

For some it's the price, others the screen, others the number of apps - and those are just examples.
It's also hard to meaningfully compare specs in completely different devices running different operating systems - I'm not sure whether 1GB of ram in a Xoom would actually lead to better performance than 512 MB of ram in an iPad 2, since the devices themselves have different CPUs and different OSes.

But the only spec I care about is magnets. I'm not buying a tablet until they make one with strong magnets on the back so I can stick it to my refrigerator door.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Unfortunately I can't access the Giz article. That's OK, I'm not fond of them anyway.

FWIW some specs matter, most don't. Plenty of portable digital audio players preceeded, and then out-spec'ed, the iPod. The iPod still romped all over everyone anyway. Same with the iPhone.

So many of the specs will be so similar, that it really might come down to marketing, price, and whether people really do care about an open platform vs a closed and filtered one.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote