Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
heartspun
heartspun began at the beginning.

Device: Nook?
Will B&N and Fictionwise ever merge libraries?

I have been purchasing Secure eReader (.pdb) books at Fictionwise to read on my iPhone, and because I'd really like to be able to use these books on a dedicated eReader, I'm considering buying the Nook when it comes out.

My question is, will I always have to side-load these books I have already purchased from Fictionwise, or do you think it's possible that B&N and Fictionwise might merge their stores eventually (since Fictionwise is owned by B&N)? Or provide some other way for me to import these books into the Nook library so that they can be synced between devices the way I assume Nook will allow you to sync via the B&N eReader iPhone app?

I sure wish B&N would consolidate all this stuff. It's getting confusing for me to have two eReader apps, two bookshelves, etc. If Kindle would read my already-purchased .pdb files, I'd just get that.
heartspun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I certainly hope so. My guess is that unless B&N spins them off, they will eventually absorb Fictionwise and eReader. Perhaps the websites will remain as front-end stores but hopefully all the libraries will be merged. As for our accounts, I'm not holding my breath that they survive a transition. All my eReader books are archived on my computer and backed up to two hard drives (along with the rest of my stuff), awaiting the ebook apocalypse.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I'm guessing that they will, at least, make the "bookshelves" mutually accessible. That guess is based on three things:
1) eReader already has access to the Fictionwise bookshelf, at least I know the Blackberry version does. I can download any of my multi-format FW purchases OTA to my phone.
2) B&N already claims interoperability with eReader (for lending and synching).
3) It would just be silly not to, especially if they want to convert existing FW customers to their own device.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I'm guessing that they will, at least, make the "bookshelves" mutually accessible. That guess is based on three things:
1) eReader already has access to the Fictionwise bookshelf, at least I know the Blackberry version does. I can download any of my multi-format FW purchases OTA to my phone.
2) B&N already claims interoperability with eReader (for lending and synching).
3) It would just be silly not to, especially if they want to convert existing FW customers to their own device.
Actually, on point 2 you're mistaken. They support eReader format, but not eReader.com. You can't sync or lend eReader.com books, those must be sideloaded to the device, and any annotations or bookmarks you make will not by synced back to your B&N library for viewing on other devices. It's the same with books from Fictionwise.

I've seen other companies merge and migrate accounts before, I remember when Yahoo did it with Flickr. It would most certainly be possible for them to import accounts from Fictionwise and eReader, however at this point not all the books at those sites are available at B&N. I think they'd have to merge libraries before they can begin merging accounts. It may take a while before all that gets started, if ever.
(I will say that I hope they merge the libraries sooner than later. There are a couple of books on my "to-read" list which are available at eReader but not B&N, and I'd rather buy them from the nook when I get it than have to sideload them.)
Old 11-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Actually, on point 2 you're mistaken. They support eReader format, but not eReader.com. You can't sync or lend eReader.com books, those must be sideloaded to the device, and any annotations or bookmarks you make will not by synced back to your B&N library for viewing on other devices. It's the same with books from Fictionwise.
Actually, I was referring to eReader the program (stupid marketing people!). When B&N refers to the "Ability to read your eBooks on multiple devices: iPhone™, iPod touch®, BlackBerry®, PC, Mac OS®***" and that "*** Devices other than nook™ require download of free B&N eReader software", I'm assuming it's not going to be a new version of the eReader program. Since my currently installation of the eReader program can access, and do OTA downloads from, my Fictionwise bookshelf, adding access to the nook bookshelf/account strikes me as a no-brainer.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Actually, I was referring to eReader the program (stupid marketing people!). When B&N refers to the "Ability to read your eBooks on multiple devices: iPhone™, iPod touch®, BlackBerry®, PC, Mac OS®***" and that "*** Devices other than nook™ require download of free B&N eReader software", I'm assuming it's not going to be a new version of the eReader program. Since my currently installation of the eReader program can access, and do OTA downloads from, my Fictionwise bookshelf, adding access to the nook bookshelf/account strikes me as a no-brainer.
Well, right now the B&N eReader is needed to access your B&N bookshelf, the regular eReader program won't do it so to access everything you need two installs of basically the same program.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well, right now the B&N eReader is needed to access your B&N bookshelf, the regular eReader program won't do it so to access everything you need two installs of basically the same program.
Yes, there are two separate pieces of software that are nearly identical, one for eReader.com and Fictionwise, and a separate one for B&N. The B&N one has a couple of extra features, like the ability to look up a selected word on wikipedia, but otherwise the software is essentially identical. I have both on my iPhone. You can't access a B&N accoung with the eReader.com program, and you can't access your eReader or Fictionwise accounts with the B&N one. It's maddening.