Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Samsung showed this prototype 2 years ago

That reinforces my feeling that curving downwards is pointless. A screen like that would really irritate me as items would disappear over the edges, and I can't see what the benefit would be.

Note that it also forces the buttons to be on the top and bottom instead of the sides.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Still hating the word 'phablet.' It offends me visually and aurally. I'm usually not one to condone human-on-text violence, but I hope it get's drunk, chokes on its own vomit and dies soon.

The type of device the word is intended to describe, however, I have no real opinions on.
This!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Samsungs curve actually makes some sense it cut's down glare and reflections also helps protect the screen slightly.
In my mind curving like this apple rumour would have the opposite effect, possibly I'm wrong but my common sense say's it would make the screen a lot more vulnerable and add unnecessary glare.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Samsungs curve actually makes some sense it cut's down glare and reflections also helps protect the screen slightly.
In my mind curving like this apple rumour would have the opposite effect, possibly I'm wrong but my common sense say's it would make the screen a lot more vulnerable and add unnecessary glare.
Thanks for that. A very interesting article from a site that doesn't seem to have an axe to grind other than exploring the best in display technology.

Their discussion of reduced reflections and magnification of the image from the concave screen has moved me from 'not that bothered' to 'I'd like to see one of these in action to find out if it really makes a difference'.

Given these points, I think this makes this rumoured convex screen from Apple even less likely.

Graham
Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Still hating the word 'phablet.' It offends me visually and aurally. I'm usually not one to condone human-on-text violence, but I hope it get's drunk, chokes on its own vomit and dies soon.

The type of device the word is intended to describe, however, I have no real opinions on.
Samsung also don't like the word they think it should be called a phoneblet
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I prefer Tablone.

Actually, I see no real need for a separate name at all. That which can be used to make phone calls IS, in fact, a phone. After all, cell-phones have been performing multiple duties for a long time without the need for any additional distinction other than 'smart.' It's not like anyone is going to buy one only for the 'ablet' portion of the package. Is there a Phesktop in the works? A Lapphone?

With that in mind, I still believe the best name (if there has to be a new one) is "Big Ass Phone."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Could care less. I am one of the neanderthals without a smart phone. I barely use my cell phone, I have a minutes plan and I doubt that I am burning through those, and fail to see the need for a smartphone. I have the internet at work and home. When I am out with my friends or family, I don't feel the need to be online. If I want to check on a score or something, I can ask someone with a smartphone to do it for me or I wait until I get home.

I really don't get the need for a cell phone that is almost as big as an e-reader. Why do I want a phone that is an inch smaller then the Kobo Glo?

Maybe Amazon is on to something, they should offer phone service with the 6 inch PW2. Make it 4G and sell a cell phone plan with it. Now that would be innovative!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
PheInk?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
When I am out with my friends or family, I don't feel the need to be online. If I want to check on a score or something, I can ask someone with a smartphone to do it for me or I wait until I get home.
Well, leaving aside the point that you're admitting that there may be occasions when you need a smartphone but feel that borrowing a friend's is sufficient, the one killer app that smartphones have when you're out and about is mapping.

They are also great aids when you're shopping and want to compare prices, check specifications, find out if you've read something, etc.

Graham
Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #25
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have asked my cousin to check a score for me on one outing. If I had not been out with them, I would have been at home watching the game. If I was out any way, I would wait until I get home to check the score.

I buy my books online at home so no worries there. I tend to look at prices before I head out to go shopping. And I hate shopping enough to not want to go store to store to save a few bucks here or there. Unless I am saving a good amount of money, comparison shopping is not a huge deal, for me.

I get that they are convienent but it is not worth the money for me. I paid $100 for 1,000 minutes. I suspect that will last me an entire year.

Ee lived without the silly things for ages, I think I can live a while longer without one. We use our home phone line more then our cell phone lines (yes, we have a home phone, great when power goes out. You plug in the old school version with a cord and you can still call folks.)

So yup, I am a neanderthal when it comes to cell phones. Don't need to spend the money so once a year I can see if MSU is beating UM in football.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
So yup, I am a neanderthal when it comes to cell phones. Don't need to spend the money so once a year I can see if MSU is beating UM in football.
As I said, the absolute killer app when out and about is Google Maps.

Regarding scores, I'm a big tennis fan. I can actually watch the match using Tennis TV if I'm caught away from home during an important game. I also enjoy cricket; there it is, the live radio commentary conveniently on the phone. Would I buy a smartphone just for the sports access? No. But little by little all these conveniences add up for me.

Maybe not for you, of course.

Graham
Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
For a lot of us, smartphones have become a job requirement. Which was cool at first, not so cool now that 100% availability is an expectation.

But this thread isn't about smartphones, it's about new iPhones. For me, 4.7" hits the mark and 5"+ is just too big but it's a growing market they need a presence in. This would be bigger news if they leaked they weren't increasing the size.

You can bet upon the reveal they'll come up with some story about how they waited to make sure the technology was right and how superior their way of doing it is or some other line of BS.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
donpapachino
donpapachino began at the beginning.

Device: none
that's good, since apple is known for it's 'innovation'.
donpapachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
That reinforces my feeling that curving downwards is pointless. A screen like that would really irritate me as items would disappear over the edges, and I can't see what the benefit would be.

Note that it also forces the buttons to be on the top and bottom instead of the sides.

Graham
When this was demoed, the idea was that you can have a cover on the display and still see notifications and some basic info (like email subject and sender scrolling on the curved part) while the cover is in place.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #30
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
When this was demoed, the idea was that you can have a cover on the display and still see notifications and some basic info (like email subject and sender scrolling on the curved part) while the cover is in place.
That sounds more like an excuse to showcase the technology rather than anything anybody would want.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote