Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Review: Amazon Reader Needs More Juice

Kindle review from AP:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8T27I4G0.html
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I wonder if he charged it fully before using it. How's it lasting for other folks here?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
After 24 hours, mostly in "sleep" state, wireless always on (though whether it will do wireless stuff in sleep mode I still am not sure of), probably 2.5 hours of active use including a couple downloads, a few Wikipedia searches, the battery indicator has now finally moved down a notch (maybe 15-20% or it's "full" range?).

So something was definitely wrong if it needed a charge after 24 hours for that reviewer.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The review did not say he put it in sleep state. The Cybook Gen3 for example will last 5 days when it is on all the time. So it would be interesting to know how long the Kindle will last.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Zoot
Connoisseur

The manual states that the Kindle goes into sleep mode on its own after being idle for 10 minutes.

Z.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aha, so how long does it take to start reading from sleep mode and can you disable the sleep mode?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
The manual states that the Kindle goes into sleep mode on its own after being idle for 10 minutes.

Z.
I've seen it. The manual is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Aha, so how long does it take to start reading from sleep mode and can you disable the sleep mode?
Exiting sleep mode only takes as long as one screen flash. I think the Kindle is still running, just the keys are disabled.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
How hard is switching the battery? It looks to be about as hard as a cordless phone. Might be worth having two batteries? Of course, no external charger available....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Zoot
Connoisseur

You can't disable sleep mode that I know of (not sure why you'd want to). Takes about four seconds to come back from sleep versus 12-14 seconds or so from "power off" or ~30 seconds for a cold boot.

Z.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you pop off the back cover the battery is right there and it looks like it simply plugs in.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
huari
Enthusiast
huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.huari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle me, Sony Reader missus
Gee whiz, sounds like the reviewer didn't turn off WiFi nor does not want to be bother to safe battery life.....

"The modem can be turned off with an external switch, and Amazon said that should allow the device to run for a week between charges. I didn't have the time to test this claim, but in any case, I don't want to be bothered with remembering to turn the modem on when it's time to download the day's newspaper, then turning it off."

I think flicking the switch to turn off the Wifi will go a long way to increase battery life. :-)
huari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huari View Post
Gee whiz, sounds like the reviewer didn't turn off WiFi nor does not want to be bother to safe battery life.....

"The modem can be turned off with an external switch, and Amazon said that should allow the device to run for a week between charges. I didn't have the time to test this claim, but in any case, I don't want to be bothered with remembering to turn the modem on when it's time to download the day's newspaper, then turning it off."

I think flicking the switch to turn off the Wifi will go a long way to increase battery life. :-)
I don't know if I'm imagining things. I'm not an expert on wireless technologies, but the CDMA phones I've had have always lost battery life REALLY fast when I had marginal signal. I've had this experience on GSM as well but it has seemed even worse on my CDMA devices. I've only had two of each, so that's not really a big sample, though.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I don't know if I'm imagining things. I'm not an expert on wireless technologies, but the CDMA phones I've had have always lost battery life REALLY fast when I had marginal signal. I've had this experience on GSM as well but it has seemed even worse on my CDMA devices. I've only had two of each, so that's not really a big sample, though.
I tried to use my GSM phone as a clock in Japan were there is no network and I run out of battery very fast since it tried to locate a network all the time.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I tried to use my GSM phone as a clock in Japan were there is no network and I run out of battery very fast since it tried to locate a network all the time.
Most "smartphones" let you switch the phone circuitry off, so you can still use the other aspects of the device. Necessary if you have a SmartPhone/PDA and you want to use the PDA features on an aircraft, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I charged mine up yesterday after I played around with the wireless and it's still at 100% charged after leaving it on and reading for about 2 hours. (It's Thanksgiving, didn't have much time to read )

BTW, the wireless has been off since I charged it up.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 11-22-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Forgot last sentence.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote