Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
matthewcplourde
Enthusiast
matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What genre is this?

"Evolution" by Stephen Baxter

It was one of my favs from college, so I'm targetting it for d/l once it hits the iPad (it's on the kindle)...

Anthropologic Fantasy/Sci-Fi?

Whatever it is, I like it and recommend it... fascinating read. Any recommendations to books like it out there?
matthewcplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcplourde View Post
"Evolution" by Stephen Baxter

It was one of my favs from college, so I'm targetting it for d/l once it hits the iPad (it's on the kindle)...

Anthropologic Fantasy/Sci-Fi?

Whatever it is, I like it and recommend it... fascinating read. Any recommendations to books like it out there?
I am pretty sure its Science Fiction, not Fantasy. Baxter's ideas usually are rooted in science somewhere.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
When the synopsis said "mega Michener like" I was hooked.

I love Micheners's style of writing.

Thanks for the heads up..
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Matthew. Like Grandma, I'll go for a mega-Michener. Must take a look. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
Given the scope of the book, I'd say it starts out as "Historical Fiction" and ends as "Science Fiction". I found it a thoroughly enjoyable read.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Obviously science fiction. But thanks for mentioning it-- I read it a while back and thought of it once in a while, but never could remember the name, and google key word searches never helped me.

As for the book, I thought the story up to the presentish was very good, but the projections of future evolution pretty lame.

Last edited by ardeegee; 09-23-2010 at 12:26 AM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your new company, Matthew. Like Grandma, I'll go for a mega-Michener. Must take a look. Best wishes. Neil

I'm with Neil and DG.

If I was given a choice of books to take on a desert island, included would always be 'The Source' by Michener.

*Sigh* Now to see if Evolution is available in ebook, and available in Oz.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post

I'm with Neil and DG.

If I was given a choice of books to take on a desert island, included would always be 'The Source' by Michener.

*Sigh* Now to see if Evolution is available in ebook, and available in Oz.

Cheers
Awesome book........have you read "The Covenent"? or "Centennial"??
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #9
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Awesome book........have you read "The Covenent"? or "Centennial"??
I've read them years ago as pbooks and loved them. In the move gave boxes of books to Animal Welfare.

Have been trying to clear the decks, even though we moved into a bigger house. I've always seemed to work a**ways round.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote