Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
evan2000
evan2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
There is a dictionary word look up??? Please tell me where/how?

-e
I found it !
evan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
evan2000

OK update when OK. But I seem to have lost of my NYT's that I had. I still have today's but I want my past ones back. Is there a way ?
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
refortin
refortin began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Yes, that has always been there. It's all right in the FAQ on the nook website.

Here's the text from the FAQ:
How do I use my nook's built-in dictionary?

When reading, tap Look up word on the color touchscreen. Select the word you want to look up by pressing the up, down, right, and left arrows on the touchscreen to move the selection from word to word. Then tap Look up to display the definition in a dialog panel overlaying the reading content. A definition can be more than one page in length. Move between pages using the Next Page and Previous Page buttons. Tap OK when you have finished reading the definition to return to your reading.
refortin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
It doesn't loose my bookmarks anymore when I connected it to my computer.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
evan2000

Since update... I can't see my New York Times past issues. I see them in the folder on the nook when I connect it via USB
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #21
evan2000

Sorry again. I Now see how they changed it. I like it the old way... But hey. I'm glad for the OS upgrade.

Cheers
Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Note: on rooted nooks you should use the patched update from the nookdevs, the B&N Update will lock your root access. And with the nookLauncher you don't have to bother your eyes with the new ugly home screen icons.

Bye,
Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
staticradar
staticradar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
So are the updates worth getting a nook now or should I wait a little longer? I'm in the market for a new reader and am really considering a nook, but with all the issues I was hearing I held off. I was hoping when they started shipping again a lot of the major issues would be resolved.

I don't really highlight or need the dictionary function, so those would not be issues for me. I love my Sony 505, but is the nook going to be an upgrade or a downgrade at this point?
staticradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #24
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I see no compelling reasons to get a nook unless you need to buy books over the air. While the nook has gotten better with the upgrades it still does not compare with the Sony regarding book organization. If you are like me however and do not like how the 505 displays ePub files you may like the nook. I like the way that the Sony ePub files look on my nook then on my Sony. For me after Sony switched to ePub the nook is a definite upgrade.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #25
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
I liked the Nook also before the update. I think it is the best reader on the market right now. Check it out. They should be in the stores. Great e-ink screen, great product, great reader.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #26
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
With that said, do B/N and Sony files work interchangably yet? Or is it just Sony -> Nook and not Nook -> Sony
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
With that said, do B/N and Sony files work interchangably yet? Or is it just Sony -> Nook and not Nook -> Sony
Sony books will work on the nook, but B&N books will not work on the Sony.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
It'S just Sony to Nook. You cannot read the Nook books on a Sony, since B&N has it's own special DRM code on their books. As far as I know, it is also hard to "free" these books.

So, if you have quite a bunch of Sony epubs, it is no problem at all to read them on your Nook. If you have a bunch of B&N books, there is no way, to read them on a different brand reader.

The only thing I miss on my Nook compared to my PRS700 is the possibility to organize my books, as good as on the Sony. Sony realy has the best system there. On the Nook you can only organize them by author or title since the update. Which is of course a great thing. Before the update you could not organize your personal stuff at all.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:

-e
Already has been there before.
"Look up word": Within an opened book, scroll down in the menu. Then mark the word via cursor buttons: Voila.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Sony books will work on the nook, but B&N books will not work on the Sony.
Hmmmm..... Got mine for 5 days now. Bought 45 books from B&N so far. Only a single one has been ePUB. All the others are PDB, which can't be read on Sony without stripping from DRM.
What's your ratio of ePUB:PDB from B&N?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote