Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Could be the ideal book reader, except...

I would love to get this reader, but I think it's missing one major feature. I'd love for it to have wireless. That way, one could get RSS, hit the Calibre server, etc.

I had a Nook on order, but canceled it because I'm chicken...I'm an early adopter, but want to be beyond, what appears to be a beta released product.

Anyone have any knowledge of future Sony plans? I know there are some others with wireless. I do like the build quality of Sony products.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The 900 does have wireless... the catch is that like the B&N/Amazon 3G, it only goes to their store.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Im looking forward hopefully to being able to get daily RSS updates....anyone hear of any plans for this?

Other than that, the wireless works great for downloading books and Newspapers.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Thanks...I'm talking about Wi-Fi, in addition to their 3G/EDGE service.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Thanks...I'm talking about Wi-Fi, in addition to their 3G/EDGE service.
That's what I thought. Would be a great feature.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
dieterpops
Addict

Another suggestion for Sony to ramp up the adoption curve would be to eliminate the hard case and the charger...by doing this, they can reduce the price.

Even though you "get more" with the 900, it's human nature to say it's $140 more than the Kindle or Nook.

I think Sony can use a little 'marketing 101' sometimes.

Last edited by dieterpops; 01-25-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, okay, I can see that. I've yet to see many readers put the WiFi to good use though.

A built-in RSS reader would be nice, although formatting of articles would be an issue I'd bet (see Calibre's handling of RSS feeds for example, without a proper recipe, a feed's articles can look like total garbage). There just isn't a standard way to get at the information and reflow it correctly for 600px wide readers. I usually wind up spending a couple hours on every recipe I create for my tool, just to make sure the content looks right once it reaches the reader.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
WiFi would be nice if I could transfer e-books from my desktop PC without a cable or load public library books that way. Oh I know, not such a huge deal but a nice luxury.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
A built-in RSS reader would be nice, although formatting of articles would be an issue I'd bet (see Calibre's handling of RSS feeds for example, without a proper recipe, a feed's articles can look like total garbage). There just isn't a standard way to get at the information and reflow it correctly for 600px wide readers. I usually wind up spending a couple hours on every recipe I create for my tool, just to make sure the content looks right once it reaches the reader.
Another way for them to do it would be to let you subscribe to a feed via the Sony software and let it do the formatting and then it could deliver them to you daily with your other periodical subscriptions. That way Sony could ensure correct formatting. I'd even be willing to pay a small price for the convenience of that method.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Hard Case = BEST FEATURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Another suggestion for Sony to ramp up the adoption curve would be to eliminate the hard case and the charger...by doing this, they can reduce the price.

Even though you "get more" with the 900, it's human nature to say it's $140 more than the Kindle or Nook.

I think Sony can use a little 'marketing 101' sometimes.
The Hard Case is the best feature of the PRS 900. It protects the unit when away from the house. No other eReader offers this.

Just turn it on before leaving the house and leave it on until you return. All features are then available except for turning it on which is unecessary using this procedure.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I'm not sure how much use I'll make of the hard case, because it makes the reader larger than I would like. I also think that it was a bad idea making it so that you have to take the cover off in order to put it into the case - because this is a bore and the cover attachment is fragile.

I'd prefer a slip case to protect from scratches/minor spills etc. My current solution is to use an A5 padded envelope. This cost me nothing, can be easily replaced, and does the job.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
The 900 does have wireless... the catch is that like the B&N/Amazon 3G, it only goes to their store.
Both Sony and B&N need to add a paid e-mail delivery service, like Amazon. This would be easy to setup, and would certainly generate enough revenue to pay for itself. It need not necessarily include a conversion service, but it could do so using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Both Sony and B&N need to add a paid e-mail delivery service, like Amazon. This would be easy to setup, and would certainly generate enough revenue to pay for itself. It need not necessarily include a conversion service, but it could do so using Calibre.
And here I think we have the winner. I've made the same request of Sony to add this sort of 'pay a few cents for wireless delivery of an ePub/PDF via e-mail' functionality.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like Ben's idea of a padded envelope. Perhaps there is neoprene netbook sleeve that is sized right. I agree on preferring to keep the hard cover attached at all times and using a travel sleeve for added protection on the go. That's how I handled my 505.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I like Ben's idea of a padded envelope. Perhaps there is neoprene netbook sleeve that is sized right. I agree on preferring to keep the hard cover attached at all times and using a travel sleeve for added protection on the go. That's how I handled my 505.
This may be of interest for netbook cases (various sizes):

http://www.artscow.com/ under photo bags and cases
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote