Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just synced my Sony 3.1 on my PC with my PRS 505. That BN sample book displays perfectly on my PRS 505.

Thus, I now know for sure that the BN ePub books will work with the Sony 3.1 software on a PC AND on a registered Sony eReader. Evidently, the books are DRM'ed to the PC - not the company which produces the ePub software or eReader devices.
WRONG! The sample is in ePub without DRM. Reader Library and the Reader will handle it just fine, but if you were to purchase the eBook, you would get B&N's new DRM for ePub which Reader Library and your Reader cannot handle. So do not purchase anything from B&N. You will get burned.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
What utter chaos this is. Multiple forms of DRM for the same format creating confusion over which ebooks can be read on which device. Uncertainty of the format vendors are selling a particular ebook in requiring the consumer to first download it (or a sample of it) and inspect it. The inability to read ebooks in a vendor's format using that same vendor's PC software because they've since switched to a different format. Consumers having to remove DRM (in many places, illegally) and jump through hoops to convert to a format that is decent to read on their devices. Before, there were annoying limitations but it was rather clear what those were. Now there is nothing but confusing chaos. Can this get any worse from here?

Of course, I'm blaming Sony and Adobe for much of this.
Why would you blame Sony Things were clear and working just fine until B&N jumped in and decided to use eReader type DRm on ePub. B&N is the one at fault here. And when you download a sample in ePub, it might not have DRm and thus you won't know what DRM the actual eBook has. You can blame Adobe for taking on board the B&N DRM. And we also have to blame anyone who has purchased a nook or has one on order. These are the people helping B&N screw the rest of us over.
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crovakiet View Post
Ebooks need a standard format. None of this dual, or multi format crap. Betamax vs VHS, HD DVD vs Bluray, it always comes down to a standard and one format has to 'win' otherwise I dont think ebooks will become 'mainstream' (and I am pretty sure all of us want it to go mainstream as it means more advances in the display technology, uniform formatting etc)as it just becomes confusing to the consumers. For Sony as well as others to put support behind epub vs basically amazon is a form of leveraging the format(s) such that it becomes just EPUB vs AZW, and I hope epub wins out so that publishers can finally have a clue and be able to concentrate on using the format to its full potential rather than these half-assed jobs taht so many of us are already complaining about.
We had a solution to the problem. The solution was ePub. Now along comes B&N and they've taken away the solution and muddied the waters big time. So what needs to happen is everyone who just bought a nook need return it. And everyone who has a nook on order needs to cancel the order. And all these people need to tell B&N that the reason for this is because of the new DRM on ePub and that if B&N dumps it and uses the proper ePub DRM, then they will buy a nook. That is how we can get this sorted out. Do so by voting with your wallet. And also even if you are never planning on getting a nook, let B&N know that you wanted one, but you won't get one that handles the new ePub DRM. And you won't get one if the B&N eBook store sells ePub with this new DRM. If the nook was to be a failure because of this new DRM, I do think B&N would drop it right away.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #49
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The best solution for readers in the short term would have been for B&N to use AdobeID DRM. However, it isn't exactly clear how B&N could do this since they already released passworded eReader ebooks. How do you go from unlimited devices to 6 devices? On the other hand, I am sure the real reason B&N did not do this is the marginal cost of DRM. Amazon has no such cost, and if B&N is to compete long term they need their own DRM scheme. I don't know what deal B&N has with Adobe, but I'm sure it benefits both parties.

Overall, I think the Adobe passworded DRM is the best solution available. It causes significant disruption in the short term, but if we are lucky by the end of next year all Adobe-compatible devices will read passworded ePubs. DRM-free is best, but second best is password DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The best solution for readers in the short term would have been for B&N to use AdobeID DRM. However, it isn't exactly clear how B&N could do this since they already released passworded eReader ebooks. How do you go from unlimited devices to 6 devices? On the other hand, I am sure the real reason B&N did not do this is the marginal cost of DRM. Amazon has no such cost, and if B&N is to compete long term they need their own DRM scheme. I don't know what deal B&N has with Adobe, but I'm sure it benefits both parties.

Overall, I think the Adobe passworded DRM is the best solution available. It causes significant disruption in the short term, but if we are lucky by the end of next year all Adobe-compatible devices will read passworded ePubs. DRM-free is best, but second best is password DRM.
The AdobeID DRM is the best DRm for ePub because we can strip it and have the best solution (DRM free ePub). Plus unless every reader updates the ADE to handle this abomination, it will just cause major issues. Are the DRMed ePub sold at Fictionwise using this abomination DRM or the proper DRM? Has anyone bout one to find out what DRM they have?
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #51
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are the DRMed ePub sold at Fictionwise using this abomination DRM or the proper DRM? Has anyone bout one to find out what DRM they have?
FictionWise is using the AdobeID DRM. I bought ePubs from them and from Sony over the weekend.

It isn't clear whether anyone except B&N will use the password DRM for ePub, although passworded PDF is fairly popular. The only reason B&N matters is because they compete best with Amazon on price, and I assume part of the reason they can do this is that they are not paying a lot for DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #52
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I really hate the new format, but I have now discovered Books on Board and for a Canadian with some restricted geography, it's love
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote