Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Old Hanlin firmware

Hey guys,

I discovered a "feature" of the Jinke-website. If you download firmware, you visit the following URL: http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...ownloadres.asp. I discovered that for each firmware, the URL changes to something in the form of http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=134

Changing the res_id-number will lead to a different firmware version each time. I just entered some random numbers and visited the URL, and was able to download the versions 1.23U-20080305D and 1.25-20080318, two versions which are not even mentioned on the Update page!

I thought this might be of interest to some of you..

Regards,

AlfonsVH

P.S.: there might be some other interesting stuff to find there... and I'm not only talking about firmware.

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 08-23-2008 at 05:56 PM.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Thanks!
Sad that it is impossible to download http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=142
(I get file with zero size).
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbich View Post
Thanks!
Sad that it is impossible to download http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=142
(I get file with zero size).
No problem. Some files indeed seem to be impossible to download, but most numbers do work. I didn't have much to do on Saturday, so I tried out a lot of numbers and made a list of the files they lead to; you can download the list from http://avhproductions.be/files/hlserver.txt ; be sure to take a look!

By the way, does anyone know if it's somehow useful (and safe) to upgrade the boot loader? Instructions can be found at http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=124 and the necessary files can be downloaded at http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=119 , http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=121 and http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=122

I didn't have the guts to try it, and I don't know if it'd make any difference...

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 08-26-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
By the way, does anyone know if it's somehow useful (and safe) to upgrade the boot loader? Instructions can be found at http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=124 and the necessary files can be downloaded at http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=119 , http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=121 and http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...mal&res_id=122

I didn't have the guts to try it yet, and I don't know if it'd make any difference...
I'd try to upgrade if I see any way to roll-back to original version. Either way, warranty service is not so far from me, possibly worth trying
Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
I'd try to upgrade if I see any way to roll-back to original version. Either way, warranty service is not so far from me, possibly worth trying
Please let me know if you decide to try it out!
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
I wouldn't recommend it - there is no practical value of changing bootloader, but a high risk of device fubar.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
I wouldn't recommend it - there is no practical value of changing bootloader, but a high risk of device fubar.
I'll leave it be, then..

I seem to have bricked my BeBook nonetheless: I tried to update to another firmware, and now I have to press the Power button for 5 or more seconds before the device boots. (does boot in the BeBook firmware, so seemingly the firmware update I tried out didn't even take place)
If I press the + button while booting (to perform firmware update), nothing happens, so I can't install any other firmwares anymore... any ideas on how to fix this? (I just emailed BeBook about this, but they didn't reply yet)

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 08-26-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #8
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
I'll leave it be, then..

I seem to have bricked my BeBook nonetheless: I tried to update to another firmware, and now I have to press the Power button for 5 or more seconds before the device boots. (does boot in the BeBook firmware, so seemingly the firmware update I tried out didn't even take place)
If I press the + button while booting (to perform firmware update), nothing happens, so I can't install any other firmwares anymore... any ideas on how to fix this? (I just emailed BeBook about this, but they didn't reply yet)
Maybe unnessacary but still.. did you try a reset (hole on the back?)
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Maybe unnessacary but still.. did you try a reset (hole on the back?)
Thanks for the tip but, yes, I did.. I tried about everything I could think of, as well as everything the people from BeBook, Hanlin and lBook could think of

The people from BeBook are currently trying to locate the vivi-file to re-install bootloader v1.0.5, but so far I'm quite unlucky.

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 09-01-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
torbich
Zealot

It seems that Jinke tried to close the possibility to download files via downloadres.asp?username=normal&res_id=119 etc., but it resulted in impossibility to download any firmware update
Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
AlfonsVH
Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
It seems that Jinke tried to close the possibility to download files via downloadres.asp?username=normal&res_id=119 etc., but it resulted in impossibility to download any firmware update
Seems to be the case indeed, pity.

...I probably shouldn't have started this thread in the first place

I guess a mod should best unsticky this thread? Thanks.

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 09-04-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
The people from BeBook are currently trying to locate the vivi-file to re-install bootloader v1.0.5, but so far I'm quite unlucky.
After waiting for Jin Ke to try and locate the bootloader, the (very responsive) people from BeBook have decided to replace my BeBook for free; so the service / warranty is very good!