Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
That is why I listed The Empire of Man.
Apache
Another absolutely excellent collaborative work of his is "The Road to Damascus", which he wrote together with Linda Evans. It's a book in the "Bolo" universe. I really don't understand how an author can write such great books when he's working with another author, when his solo work does absolutely nothing for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #17
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ringo's collaborations (especially the "Empire of Man" series) are good, but his standalone books are simply dreadful, IMHO. Unpleasant xenophobic ultra right-wing political propaganda.
I actually rather liked his Troy Rising series (Live Free or Die, Citadel, The Hot Gate) though your criticism partially holds true for those as well.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Another absolutely excellent collaborative work of his is "The Road to Damascus", which he wrote together with Linda Evans. It's a book in the "Bolo" universe. I really don't understand how an author can write such great books when he's working with another author, when his solo work does absolutely nothing for me.
His solo work reflects himself, I suppose, and his collaborative work reflects the story. It seems like he needs a co-author to rein in his excesses.

I agree that the "Ghost" series is basically a rape fantasy. It had some interesting plot lines but wherever he should have zigged, he zagged instead into male fantasy.

I read the first book in the "Troy Rising" series, but I tired quickly of his political preaching and never bothered with the subsequent books. I don't mind if authors hold a different political position than my own, I just dislike being hammered over the head with it.

Last edited by Xanthe; 01-21-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I read the first book in the "Troy Rising" series, but I tired quickly of his political preaching and never bothered with the subsequent books.
That's my problem with his books - the endless political preaching. He's welcome to hold whatever views he wants personally, but leave it out of the books, please.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #20
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I haven't gotten "into" any of the newer works they've published, but I'm a huge fan of some older authors they carry -- especially Keith Laumer, A. Bertram Chandler, Fred Pohl, Poul Anderson, Brian W. Aldiss, Fritz Leiber, etc. In many cases they've made affordable bundles of their works.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
H
I read the first book in the "Troy Rising" series, but I tired quickly of his political preaching and never bothered with the subsequent books. I don't mind if authors hold a different political position than my own, I just dislike being hammered over the head with it.
Quote:
That's my problem with his books - the endless political preaching. He's welcome to hold whatever views he wants personally, but leave it out of the books, please.
Yes. Leave the hammer at home, and write a good story.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #22
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I had a look at the hammer's slammers series, which looks really cool. Lois Mcmaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga also looks really good too. I like the of Zahn's cobra books, and Raj Whitehall by David Drake and S.M. Stirling looks epic. I found David Weber really boring, and hated John Ringo, along the lines of everyone else's protests, added to the fact that the actual writing itself stinks. Any other suggestion? I do like military sf, and fantasy. I do not like Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion books, as I just could not get into them. I do like other epic/military fantasy though.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I had a look at the hammer's slammers series, which looks really cool. Lois Mcmaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga also looks really good too. I like the of Zahn's cobra books, and Raj Whitehall by David Drake and S.M. Stirling looks epic. I found David Weber really boring, and hated John Ringo, along the lines of everyone else's protests, added to the fact that the actual writing itself stinks. Any other suggestion? I do like military sf, and fantasy. I do not like Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion books, as I just could not get into them. I do like other epic/military fantasy though.
Well earlier Jerry Pournelle was recommended; specifically you want to look at his Codominium books.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Stirling is another author who seems to be better with a co-author. There are a few of his solo books that I like, but others just don't do anything for me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well earlier Jerry Pournelle was recommended; specifically you want to look at his Codominium books.

--
Bill
Amen on that. Pournelle is one of my favored authors. His Codominium books have a very different feel than those he co-authored with Larry Niven. His Tran series is pretty interesting as well.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #26
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
If you like mil-fic/sci-fi, you might like Jerry Pournelle's "King David's Spaceship"; "March To The Sea" is like that in many ways.

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-575-king...spaceship.aspx

Baen has several Pournelle omnibuses:

CoDominium Future History Bundle (9 books for $36.00):
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-574-codo...ry-bundle.aspx

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-322-the-prince.aspx
4 books - a sweet deal for $5.00
"Publisher's Note: The Prince was previously published in four parts as Falkenberg's Legion and Prince of Mercenaries by Jerry Pournelle, and Go Tell the Spartans and Prince of Sparta by Jerry Pournelle and S.M. Stirling. This is the first complete edition."

Some of Stirling's best books are not published by Baen - the "Island In The Sea Of Time" series (published by Roc), "The Peshawar Lancers" and "Shikari In Galveston" (in "Worlds That Weren't")

Also, have you looked at the Lord Kalvan books. I haven't seen the original H.Beam Piper novel in ebook, but the Roland Green and John F. Carr successors are available at amazon.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

The original Lord Kalvin book is not available in ebook.

Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time (which I like a lot) is available at Amazon.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time (which I like a lot) is available at Amazon.
A great series. I keep hoping he will write a sequel to The Peshwar Lancers.
Apace
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #29
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
There certainly seemed to be lots of material for a series. Perhaps he got too busy with the Emberverse. Pity, it was an excellent book. "Shikari In Galveston" (in "Worlds That Weren't") is set in the same universe.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #30
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
The Peshawar Lancers aren't available as ebooks in Britain, so I may have to make a quick trip to the good ol' USA to pick it up, as it looks really good. Thanks for the recommendations, and please keep them coming.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote