Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #106
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
i just got the new fw 2.5.0 and i don't have the light issue people have described...mine is set to the lowest setting and the button still turns on and off without any problems...i haven't checked at night, so i don't know if it's lower than before or not.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #107
Tiburscyo
Tiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@Tiburyscyo: What is actually happening? How doesn't the dictionary work? Does the word get selected but no dictionary window is displayed? Or something else? Do the books have the language set correctly? And do you have a matching dictionary installed? Removing and reinstalling the dictionaries might be a good idea.
I believe to be a problem of the 2.5.0 firmware version. Worked normally before, in 2.4. I already have installed/uninstalled the dictionaries. The books are the same.

I don't have the Kobo Glo right now on the hands, but when I select the word, there is a usual pop-up with definition, but this time saying "there is no dictionary definition for the word XXXX"

I'm in Brazil and using PT-BR. This night I will try change the main language or books in other languages​​.
Tiburscyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #108
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Custom dictionaries seem to be broken in 2.5. I had previously replaced the default English dictionary file dicthtml.zip with my own. Now my custom dictionary does not work, but if I put the original one back it is OK.

My custom dictionary worked in 2.4, so something has changed. Drat.

This is not a bug because custom dictionaries are not officially supported. But I would not be without mine, and if I can't get it to work I am going to rethink my loyalty to Kobo. Was thinking of getting an Aura, but only if custom dictionaries work on it too.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #109
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Does KOBO force firmware update through Wifi?
Did here, I had the temerity to Sync, so it downloaded software as well. Unfortunately it also turned my Glo into a brick. Its frozen solid with "Downloading software" at 100%. Won't turn off, won't turn on. What a pain, only bought the blasted thing a week ago.

Anyone got a quick solution?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #110
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Did here, I had the temerity to Sync, so it downloaded software as well. Unfortunately it also turned my Glo into a brick. Its frozen solid with "Downloading software" at 100%. Won't turn off, won't turn on. What a pain, only bought the blasted thing a week ago.

Anyone got a quick solution?
HOLD your power button ON for 20-30 seconds. If the light is still on, you can let go when it goes out. Restart and if you do another sync it will then move to installing the update.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #111
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Custom dictionaries seem to be broken in 2.5. I had previously replaced the default English dictionary file dicthtml.zip with my own. Now my custom dictionary does not work, but if I put the original one back it is OK.

My custom dictionary worked in 2.4, so something has changed. Drat.

This is not a bug because custom dictionaries are not officially supported. But I would not be without mine, and if I can't get it to work I am going to rethink my loyalty to Kobo. Was thinking of getting an Aura, but only if custom dictionaries work on it too.
Bad news. If that is how it is, I will not update to 2.5.

ShellShock,
If I remember correctly, after the update to 2.4., I had to change the anchor-tags in my Japanese dictionary from <a name="xxx"/> to <a name="xxx" />. (space before "/") Maybe it is similar with the other dictionaries now. In case you give it a try, it would be nice if you could tell us the result.

Last edited by tshering; 04-18-2013 at 04:03 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #112
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
HOLD your power button ON for 20-30 seconds. If the light is still on, you can let go when it goes out. Restart and if you do another sync it will then move to installing the update.
Thanks, the power button was not working at all. I went to Kobo to find that I could do a reset, which seems to have worked, and the software did not update. Think I will leave it be, for now.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #113
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
davidfor thank you for your prompt work on the Calibre driver. It and all the features are very much appreciated, enhancing the way I get to do one of my favourite daily activities: read a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Fascinating - I powered the Glo off, removed the SD card, inserted the SD card, and powered the Glo on ... and the books are now no longer protected by Adobe DRM .... wild!
I had the same problem yesterday. I was on the train to Leeds, a nice comfy seat by the window with no-none with annoying elbows next to me. I turned my Glo on, only to be confronted by the ER.. DRM! message.

I tried telling my Glo that there wasn't any DRM, but it did not listen.

I was seriously irritated. Four chapters from the flipping end of a good book too. I tried to pull out my smartphone and read something else I had on that, but a) I wanted to finish the book I was reading, b) stupid little LCD screen c) why wouldn't my lovely Glo let me read my book?

I had to stare out of the window instead. Stupid cows. Stupid sheep. Stupid lovely picturesque Pennine English countryside. Want book!

It was only after Huddersfield (nearly where I wanted to be, folks) that I thought to eject the SD card all my books live on. As if by magic, I could open my books again.

Didn't finish my book on that journey

Learn from my mistake folks. Do not press OK on that "I'm going to update -- proceed?" message the same morning you want to read your Kobo on a train. Just wait. Or er, try taking the SD card out and back in BEFORE you sit there for most of your journey cursing your own stupidity.

[edit]: No light button issues here for me, sorry. Working just as it always has, and I read on lowest light setting. I'm certain it is working as normal as the train went through tunnels on the way back and I'd have noticed when it went darker.

Last edited by Liesse; 04-18-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Feedaback on light button thingy
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #114
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Thanks, the power button was not working at all. I went to Kobo to find that I could do a reset, which seems to have worked, and the software did not update. Think I will leave it be, for now.
I had to try twice to get the update since the first time the Mini remained frozen. After that, I logged out and on my account which prompted the update. Worked fine after that
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #115
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I also had the freeze at 100% loaded on my Glo. Did a pinhole reset and it restarted with 2.4.0 still running. Then, I connected USB to Kobo Desktop, which synced to 3.2.0, but it didn't do anything to the Kobo other than sync annotations, rewards etc. Ejected and powered off/on and the Glo did its update using the firmware I had previously downloaded (that had resulted in the freeze). All is good now at 2.5.0. I don't know what would have happened had I cycled power right after it restarted with 2.4.0
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #116
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Bad news. If that is how it is, I will not update to 2.5.

ShellShock,
If I remember correctly, after the update to 2.4., I had to change the anchor-tags in my Japanese dictionary from <a name="xxx"/> to <a name="xxx" />. (space before "/") Maybe it is similar with the other dictionaries now. In case you give it a try, it would be nice if you could tell us the result.
2.4 was OK for me, no need to change the dictionary, it just worked. I am going to try to get it to work with 2.5.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #117
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
KOBO DEVELOPERS: REAL Code Monkeys make entries in the change log... C'mon, just tell us what's been fixed you Kookie Kobo Koders and we'd know if the light was dimmer!
+1
Instead, we need to peruse reams of daily postings to see what appears to have been fixed. And at the same time, learning what isn't fixed and what's busted that wasn't before.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #118
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
i just got the new fw 2.5.0 and i don't have the light issue people have described...mine is set to the lowest setting and the button still turns on and off without any problems...i haven't checked at night, so i don't know if it's lower than before or not.
Could you check the version information? Kobo have been known to replace the firmware during a roll-out because of a problem like this. The full version I have is: 2.5.0 (c988b71a4d.4/12/13).

And, I have just had confirmation from a Kobo person that the light level is lower.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #119
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Could you check the version information? Kobo have been known to replace the firmware during a roll-out because of a problem like this. The full version I have is: 2.5.0 (c988b71a4d.4/12/13).

And, I have just had confirmation from a Kobo person that the light level is lower.

Sure mine is 2.5.0 (c988b71a4d, 12/04/2013) ....just typed without comparing...now compared, seems mine is the same as yours.

I tried several things with the light and all worked as should...both with the light on minimum and otherwise.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #120
Tiburscyo
Tiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I went back to firmware version 2.4.0 manually, like other thread in this forum. Now the dictionary functions normally. It seems to be a problem only with the dictionary PT-BR. The English dictionary appears normally.

Anyway, thanks for attention and support guys
Tiburscyo is offline   Reply With Quote