Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
-=Pocket Edge ONLY=- Golden Allmine update, please test!

Hi Everyone!

FINAL UPDATE: I haven't had time to play with my PE in the last year, and I know now for sure I won't have time for that in the future. The RC3 version seems to have worked for most of the people, so you can consider it final (I don't have access to those files right now to make a properly named version).

For reference, you can download gapps.zip from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...on#Google_Apps. Check the README file to see which version you need to download.

UPDATE: I left the link to the RC3 only, since that's the best version. You can also download the files from http://edge.ympsa.com/, thanks to MasterTec.

The ZIP file has the update file and instructions. Unzip it first, and read the instructions!

Also, any library backup done before the update (unless you had a working Allmine installation) won't work! I recommend to move the library to the SD card before the upgrade as the best way to keep it.

I've left the rest of the post for historical reasons. :-)

===

I finally had the chance to finish the Golden Allmine update (no add-ons yet), so here it is. I have tried it in my PE, and the Market seems to work.
Remember, don't install this on a full-size eDGe!!

IMPORTANT: You need the same gapps.zip file that is used to install the regular Allmine in together with the update.zip file (check the Allmine thread for links).

There are a couple of things to be mindful of:
  • When I installed it, for some reason the Setup Wizard "force-closed" on me. I was able to continue by playing with the buttons and then it seemed to work. I don't see why that would happen, but that will probably need testing by other people.
  • This update, as a golden one, will erase EVERYTHING in the internal storage (apps, settings, library).
  • There might be issues with the library after installation. I think that problems will happen only if you have your library in the SD card, and haven't installed Allmine before installing this update. But there could be other issues...

Once this gets a good test and we get it to be safe, I will get to making a "pimped out " Allmine update with the suggestions from the "ROM Wishlist" thread.

Have fun!

--- 08/Dec/2011

New version, rc2!

This one has better library handling (it will recognize if there is a library in the SD card and configure the PE to use it directly). I have tried it from MicroSD (USB install is not guaranteed) and I could install the system and use the Market (without resorting to TiBackup or anything else) to install apps.

The text file included in the ZIP file has the instructions for installation.

This one looks quite good on my PE, I hope it works for everybody!

--- 15/Dec/2011

New (and possibly final) version!

This one should fix the cases where the Market still does not work after installation.
If your Market worked with the previous version, you should not need to upgrade to this one.

Donwload from:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uwd865

Last edited by pablob; 06-25-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added note about the library
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Woohoo!

Will try installing after I back up everything on my PE. Thank you!!

Edit 12/6: I'm sorry I haven't done it yet. And I won't get to it today, either. Darn holidays!

Last edited by Filark; 12-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Jeff Butler
Jeff Butler began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
A couple of questions... Do I leave my micoSD card in while installing? I'm really wanting to use the extra space for apps. Or do I insert it after the upgrade process? Do I still pick the "Move Library to SDCard" option?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
use either small usb or micro sd to upgrade but not both.
after upgrade delete update.zip and use as normally.
do not forget to add the gapps.zip (please include the download link pablob on top post) on the same usb or sd card as the update.zip
the inter 2gb+ on the internal edge sd should be enough for 1000s of apps.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Hi Jeff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Butler View Post
A couple of questions... Do I leave my micoSD card in while installing? I'm really wanting to use the extra space for apps. Or do I insert it after the upgrade process? Do I still pick the "Move Library to SDCard" option?
What I usually do is to upgrade directly from the MicroSD card (rather than USB). In this way, I always have it in the PE and never take it out. If you are upgrading from USB, having the SD card in should not affect the upgrade, either.

Once you have upgraded, you probably want your library in the SD card, since in the new system there are only 500 Mb of non-app internal storage.

Be careful! If your library is in the internal storage, it will be erased by the upgrade. You want to backup it first, or move it to the SD card. There are two paths you can follow:

1) Backup up the library, install the upgrade, move the library to the SD card and then restore the backup (this I haven't tried, but I don't see why it wouldn't work).
2) Move the library to the SD card (optionally, install Allmine if you haven't installed it yet to avoid the library breaking), install the upgrade and move the library to the SD card. The system will ask you if you want to use the pre-existent library in the SD card, and you can say yes to that. If the library breaks, you can look on the Allmine thread for the fix.

I hope this clears your questions, but feel free to keep on asking!
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

1. installs fine. no force closes.
2. the google account does not want to log in me both during initial setup or via skip settings / accounts.
3. it does installs via utube my channel an account but market does not work.
4. market is saying an error has occured please try again latter.
5. did the same when trying to install allmine over your rom.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
vicinc
Guru

it is stable all works but can not get market working!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
pablob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
1. installs fine. no force closes.
2. the google account does not want to log in me both during initial setup or via skip settings / accounts.
3. it does installs via utube my channel an account but market does not work.
4. market is saying an error has occured please try again latter.
5. did the same when trying to install allmine over your rom.
Hmprf... Question time:
  • What did you install it over?
  • Do you have the update.log file? If so, please compress it and send it to me.
  • Ditto for the allmine update.log from your attempt to get the Market working.
  • A logcat when trying to run the market might help, although I don't know yet exactly how.

If you want to try again, make sure you finish the e-reader screen calibration before the Android setup wizard. That might make a difference.

In mine I have been able to install Dolphin HD from the Market, which I could not before.

Also, check the first post in this thread, to see if it's applicable (in mine I get "bad security token", but it still works, go figure):

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/7...ase-post-here/

Last edited by pablob; 12-06-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
vicinc
Guru

I will try again. I installed it over previous golden update with manual allmine. so you did the sdk setup first than android setup?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
pablob
Connoisseur

Quote:
I will try again. I installed it over previous golden update with manual allmine. so you did the sdk setup first than android setup?
I did the e-reader screen calibration, and then the Android setup. I don't remember the exact details now, sorry!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
vicinc
Guru

Three things.
1. Being golden it is wiping everything so should not matter on what we install on?
2. On booting after calibration you are presented with 2 options to start with. What do you choose?
a) com.android.sdksetup.DefaultActivity
b)Setup Wizard

3. Does it matter that I am in UK and not USA?

Last edited by vicinc; 12-06-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
vicinc
Guru

Right. Wiped all and installed again. Calibrated the eink but still nothing I am afraid. the google account is not created is saying can not connect to the server.
Unfortunately I travel in Europe after tomorrow and not sure if I take the PE with me or the Nooks (BW+C).
So really do not have time for tests now. Did anybody else tried this rom and the market?
the rest is stable and all good.
/
Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
pablob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Right. Wiped all and installed again. Calibrated the eink but still nothing I am afraid. the google account is not created is saying can not connect to the server.
Unfortunately I travel in Europe after tomorrow and not sure if I take the PE with me or the Nooks (BW+C).
So really do not have time for tests now. Did anybody else tried this rom and the market?
the rest is stable and all good.
/
I'm sorry about that! I have just realized that I cheated: Because I was too lazy to put my WPA key, I restored a TiBackup backup (that I made with the working Allmine) and that probably made it work. So, most likely, the update as it is has a problem with the Market. Would you mind sending the the update.log file, anyway (if you can before you leave, of course)? Thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
pablob
Connoisseur

New version today, which worked quite nicely on my PE. Check the first post for the download link.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
Downloading now...Does the allmine zip need a specific name? Standard from Allmine is Allmine-latest-update.zip
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote