Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #136
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycropht View Post
So much disappointment in this thread...

I have a question about this part (broken English by Google Translate):

Look it up

The Sony PRS-T1 you have all the knowledge at hand, and Google Search on Wikipedia, so you're shy to answer a pressing question, then this e-reader you an answer. In the vicinity of a WiFi connection, of course.

Is this done right (ease of selection, speed, good presentation of the results, convenience...) on any of the current e-readers? (Which?)
The Sony 950 has Wikipedia lookup. You highlight the word(s) and in the dictionary popup there is an icon to launch Wikipedia. Then from the Wikipedia page there is a "continue reading" option to take you back to your page in the book. It's quick and easy. I use this feature often.

What is lost in translation is whether there will be a separate Google Search icon. In other words, when you highlight words you can launch a Google webpage directly from the book rather than having to open the browser application separately. The Kindle can do both Wikipedia and Google Search from highlighted words in a book. The Sony 950 just does Wikipedia. The Sony Wikipedia lookup is faster than Kindle (requires fewer clicks / touches), but both methods are easy and work fine.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #137
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Engadget has an interesting observation:
Tho unless I missed something from the new eRedears they're the same as previous models..
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #138
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoe View Post
For those who comment about those who comment on the loss of metal casing:

I dislike it too. It was pretty much the only thing left that distinguished Sony from the rest of the bunch in this generation.
Sony is marketed and sold worldwide. Nook and Kobo aren't. Makes it VERY special to many of us! (But I do agree that loosing the metal casing is a pity.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #139
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
Tho unless I missed something from the new eRedears they're the same as previous models..
This link has a pic of the 650's buttons. The 650's right two buttons are zoom and Options, not back and menu. The T1's three right buttons are the three main Android buttons (sans the search button).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #140
Tomoe
Tomoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Sony is marketed and sold worldwide. Nook and Kobo aren't. Makes it VERY special to many of us! (But I do agree that loosing the metal casing is a pity.)
Of course, but where there's a will, there's a way. I don't live in USA, and Sony isn't sold in my country, so that doesn't mean much to me. My Sonys and my nooks came from US.
Tomoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #141
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStep View Post
Yes, funny those English translations of Dutch idiom . I tried to improve the Google Translate translation a bit. No doubt not faultless (English is not my native language), but still:
Thanks very much for your improved translation for Sony's sales copy in post 116.

The stylish, new design fits the Xperia mobile phone line and helps the device stand out from the pack; in contrast, other readers look "boxy".

At a more popular price, Sony has built on its excellent IR touch Pearl eink screen, added wifi, improved battery life, added live Google and Wikipedia search (which means a web browser of some sort else where do the Google searches go?), and removed 20% of the weight. One expects the UI will have been tweaked a little; but wholesale replacement on top of Android? Errr, no.

In sum, this is pretty much exactly what the Sony exec promised a few weeks ago when he said the line would be refreshed.

The second arrow in its quiver is some sort of colour Android tablet where the Harry Potter content will shine; this may replace a 7" eink model, simplifying the product line.

Toronto plays host to Word on the Street, an annual consumer book fair in which Sony has been a lead participant. This year's event in Sep 25 -- I fully expect the new units will be on display there even if the release date in still then a few weeks off.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 08-28-2011 at 04:25 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #142
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
This link has a pic of the 650's buttons. The 650's right two buttons are zoom and Options, not back and menu. The T1's three right buttons are the three main Android buttons (sans the search button).
Got it, thank you
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #143
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Disappointing. It appears that they're releasing a product that will compete with the other vendors year old products rather then leap frogging ahead.
Technology revs so quickly that to win today you need to skate ahead to where the puck will be, not where its been or even where it is right now.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 08-28-2011 at 05:05 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #144
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Technology revs so quickly that to win today you need to skate ahead to where the puck will be, not where its been or even where it is right now.
Not in all segments...
...but definitely so in ebooks today.
It is a Red Queen's race, where you have to run as fast as you can just to stay where you are, and anything else leaves you as roadkill.
The listed specs merely put Sony roughly on par with Kobo and don't leapfrog any of the existing products. They may have an undocumented feature or three, a Jobs-ian "one more thing" for the intro dog and pony show, but until then disappointment is warranted; neither Kindle nor Nook is going to lose much market share to those specs.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #145
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
I wonder if these new sonys will be more difficult to open to replace the battery. The x50 line and before had the easy to unscrew backs. I will bet these new readers have a harder to open case like the new nook and kobo.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #146
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It might be with the ePub support. The lack of ePub on Kindle is STILL the main reason I avoid Kindle.

As far as the Bose comparison goes we need to remember that for audiophiles (and I speak as someone with a wall full of Linn, Acoustic Research, and Denon kit) the quality of Bose is possibly more perceived than actual. I've never met or spoken or messaged an audio nut who ever bought or even seriously considered Bose, or Bang & Olufsen, etc. They have the rep but only sell to people who buy into that reputation. If Sony go that route, either deliberately or because we plebs think they have then they will end up with a range of kit which is too expensive, not QUITE good enough, but makes people go "Oooh, Nice".

I want good kit, reasonable prices, and ePub. Wifi would be nice if Calibre can support it so I can copy books to the device without worrying about whether the partial recharge the battery will get will shorten the life.

/end rant
The Bose comparison struck me as pretty funny, but not really accurate.

Bose are stylish and pseudo-high end, but audiophiles, as you point out, despise Bose. I liked them because they were the first quality speakers I heard as a kid, but when I could finally afford them and compared the sound directly, I was shocked at how poorly they performed.

Sony has that same "high end" reputation in some arenas, but it is generally deserved. Their software typically sucks, but their hardware -- particularly in terms of TV technology -- can be top notch. Their Readers really have been the pinnacle of quality -- with sucky software -- but the I just don't think the market is bearing the price. So plastic it is.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #147
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very true. Modern high-impact plastics (such as the Kindle uses) are very tough. Go to the Kindle forum and you certainly won't see a flood of reports of broken screens. Of course there have been flimsy plastic readers (the Bookeen CyBook Gen3, for example) but the readers from the big-name manufacturers all seem to be well-made.
I dropped my PRS-500 on the tile floor, and it dented the top-right corner. The screen functioned perfectly for years afterward, as did the Reader's bezel; the dent never interfered with holding or using the device.

If it was "high impact" plastic, I'm curious what would have happened. My Reader denting absorbed the impact. Wouldn't high impact plastic just shatter?

I actually don't like the look of the T1. BUT! I loved the PRS-500's style. When I saw pictures of the PRS-505, I hated it. But when I bought one, I fell in love with the style. The same goes for the PRS-650, pictures and real life were very different experiences.

In terms of look, we definitely need to give the T1 a chance.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #148
Sapphire
Enthusiast
Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sapphire can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony 505 & 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStep View Post
The Sony PRS-T1 is mimicking the looks of its mobile brother, the Xperia, with its curves and high quality chrome finish.
The new reader looks like their Xperia™ X10 smartphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xperia™ X10 smartphone.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	75844  
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #149
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
I dropped my PRS-500 on the tile floor, and it dented the top-right corner. The screen functioned perfectly for years afterward, as did the Reader's bezel; the dent never interfered with holding or using the device.

If it was "high impact" plastic, I'm curious what would have happened. My Reader denting absorbed the impact. Wouldn't high impact plastic just shatter?

I actually don't like the look of the T1. BUT! I loved the PRS-500's style. When I saw pictures of the PRS-505, I hated it. But when I bought one, I fell in love with the style. The same goes for the PRS-650, pictures and real life were very different experiences.
I have dropped my 505 on a few occasions, and there are dings in the corners of the aluminum, but all else is fine. The metal body did its job.

As far as the layout, I love my 505, and my girlfriend has a 300 that I am not as fond of. The 505 was designed to be ambidextrous with controls on either side, where as the 300 just put the stuff in the center. Yeah, still ambidextrous, but holding it with your left or right is just as uncomfortable. I often switch off hands, because of damage in my right (dominant) hand making it difficult to use all the time (I use my right when I can, but sometimes not an option).

I've not had a go at the 350 and 650s. The 600's blah touch screen made me lose interest. I have been hesitant to go with the touch screens due to what would seem like increased difficulty operating one handed. From what I have see, they do offer normal page turn buttons, but only on the left hand side.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #150
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I hope that the ability to read lrf files is intact on the new readers, I've been converting files that I have in Croatian to lrf because it does a good job with the diacritics that I need.

My 505 is built like a tank and withstood several drops. I'm not surprised or super disappointed that the new readers are made entirely of plastic. I would prefer aluminum, but but the lower price makes up for it.

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 08-28-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs