Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
MobiDeDRM removes part of the book??

I (finally) successfully got my PID and can convert an azw to a mobi with the DRM stripped.
(I hate DRM on principle, don't really need to remove it - bought the book for my Kindle, can read it fine - I just want to be able to..)

Sadly it seems the DRM is not the only thing getting stripped - about 10 sentences of the first chapter are missing.
I haven't checked the rest yet since I haven't read the book yet and don't want to know how it ends.

(Also the bookmarks/links are broken, but that's not that big a deal)

I used mobidedrm.py since mobidedrm005.py got me a "invalid PID" error, while I'm pretty sure the PID I got from another python script is valid?
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you had the wrong PID, the mobidedrm script would tell you. So I think that part is ok.

The latest version is 0.12 (or 0.13). I suggest looking in the latest comments to the Dark Reverser's weblog. It is also included in the "tools_v..." ZIP bundles referenced there, which adds easier to use point and click interfaces that invoke the original scripts for you.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
highwaykind
Connoisseur

I think with a wrong PID the conversion with the older mobidedrm script wouldn't have worked either?

I found the Dark Reverser's weblog, and some kind soul already sent me to a zip bundle with tools which I downloaded - but that doesn't seem to work at all (no error messages, but no output either - no readme.txt either so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not with the commands).

Edit: googled on mobidedrm 0.12 and copy/saved that

D:\Downloads\MobiDeDRM>mobidedrm012.py prime.azw numbers.mobi PID#
MobiDeDrm v0.13. Copyright 2008-2010 The Dark Reverser.
MOBI header length = 232
MOBI header version = 6
Extra Data Flags = 2
Decrypting. Please wait... done

Output is perfect this time!!

Last edited by highwaykind; 04-03-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Problem solved - thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Do you have by chance python 64 bit instead of 32 bit installed? I have found that the 64 bit version of Python 2.6.X does not seem to work well with many of the tools needed to work with these types of books. Please try removing completely the 64 bit version of python and replacing it with a 32 bit version of python 2.6.x and see if that helps.

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
highwaykind
Connoisseur

I'm pretty sure I've got the 32 bit version (I never download anything for 64). But it's already working with the latest mobidedrm