Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
agari
agari began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Frozen initial screen, reflash help?

So, I bought my Cybook Gen3. Used it heavily. But today, it switched on to freeze on the very first screen. The one that says "CYBOOK GEN3" with green light and all. Reset it and switched on again. Starts up and freezes on that screen. Repeated several times.

Took out the SD card, and repeated. Same result.
So now, I'm not sure.

I only bought mine in August from Orell Füssli in Zürich, Switzerland.

Maybe I need to reflash, just exactly how do I do that? Or should I replace the system files somehow? Which firmware would be recommended?
If I have to use the SD card to do that, I probably should buy an SD card reader which sucks.

The Gen3 doesn't load as a USB device, so I suppose using the USB seems out of the question.

The fact that I saved money specifically for this device (yes, this one is a major investment for a heavy reader like me, especially of super-old, hard-to-find texts etc.), and seeing it react like that just weeks after I bought it makes me want to cry.

I'd appreciate all suggestions and help you guys could offer.

PS, if it's easy to solve please say so. I wouldn't want to send it away for repair in France.
agari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Did you recharge it fully ? A low battery could explain the freeze...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
agari

Unhappy

Recharged it fully, and still frozen after restarting it.

It freezes on the startup screen.

Any solutions?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Idoine
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Do you reset it with the hole on the back ?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
agari

Unhappy

Yes I did reset it: the green light went off, screen remained the same. Each time I re-switch it on, green light goes on, screen changes to empty then the startup screen. Which is the exact same thing as yesterday, before the full recharging.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Idoine

With a real reset, the screen would become black for a while.
You'll need to try and remove the battery.
Be careful with the battery cover, seems to be a little weak on the small parts.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
agari

Okay, I'll try the removing the battery... Any tips other than worrying about the small bits?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Idoine

I think not.
I was lucky the reset was enough for me, but I know some had to remove the battery.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
agari

Unhappy

It hasn't worked. Disconnected the battery, and reconnected it. Then switched it on, same result. Restarted, tried again, same result.

What else should I try?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by agari View Post
It hasn't worked. Disconnected the battery, and reconnected it. Then switched it on, same result. Restarted, tried again, same result.

What else should I try?
Did you charge it with a wall charger? If you didn't you should try to leave it overnight to charge that way.
And when removing battery you should wait couple of minutes before reconnecting it again...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:18 AM   #11
agari

I did use the wall charger overnight. And then removed the batter for about half an hour, then tried again. Nothing new. Still freezes on the first start up screen. And resetting it doesn't change the screen, it just turns the green light off and remains on the first start up screen. It only changes when I switch on again, to yet again freeze at the first startup.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I did use the wall charger overnight. And then removed the batter for about half an hour, then tried again. Nothing new. Still freezes on the first start up screen. And resetting it doesn't change the screen, it just turns the green light off and remains on the first start up screen. It only changes when I switch on again, to yet again freeze at the first startup.
Hmmm... that sounds like a real problem. You can try to reflash but I'm not sure if you can use firmware from the Cybook site? Do you happen to know what firmware version you have?
For re-flash you will need to put firmware file (we'll have to see what version) on root of sd-card and do this:
http://www.justread.de/videos/cybook-reflash.html

DrS
Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
agari

Unhappy

A real problem?

I don't know which firmware, although I did keep a backup of the system files from the Cybook Gen3. (I hope that helps)

I also downloaded the 796 firmware from bookeen.

So what do you suggest? Should I load the system files onto the SD card and reflash it the same way as the video? Or should I use the 796 firmware instead?

Either way, I'll have to buy an SD card reader, the Cybook was the only SD card reader I have

Any recommendations?
Old 09-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
Vesper
Addict

Quote:
So what do you suggest? Should I load the system files onto the SD card and reflash it the same way as the video? Or should I use the 796 firmware instead?
You cannot reflash with backup of your system files... you need update_kernel file. Try with 796 one.

DrS

Last edited by Vesper; 09-12-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: found new info
Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #15
Idoine

What is your OS PC ?
If you could see your Cybook when it's plugged, you should replace the system folder by your backup version.

Tags
frozen, help please, reflashing