Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
[How-To] A Poor Man’s Wispersync

Hi All
Here is the tutorial, I previously mention, that was in the works. Now that it is complete I present it to you. The gist of the tutorial is on how to replicate the Whispersync features on Android devices.

Instead of making it a dry tutorial I added a little bit of history/thought process on how I came up with the solution. If that doesn't work for you just jump to the "HOW TO CONFIGURE:" section at the bottom of the tutorial and get the skinny.

Quote:
Arguably one of the Kindle’s most loved feature is the Whispersync technology. Whispersync, for those not familiar with the technology, is the ability to synchronize ones Kindle books across all kindle devices, be it an eReader, Tablet, iPad, Smartphone, PC, etc… This is all done on the application layer so the user need not lift a finger to get this great feature. However this technology is not without its limitations. One major limitation is that Whispersync does not work for personal eBooks it only works for eBooks purchased from Amazon. (more...)

Last edited by =X=; 08-15-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Updated intro
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi All
Here is the tutorial, I previously mention, that was in the works. Now that it is complete I present it to you. The gist of the tutorial is on how to replicate the Whispersync features on Android devices.

Instead of making it a dry tutorial I added a little bit of history/thought process on how I came up with the solution. If that doesn't work for you just jump to the "HOW TO CONFIGURE:" section at the bottom of the tutorial and get the skinny.
Thanks. I will be trying this out. [[after I back everything up 3 times.]]
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Thanks. I will be trying this out. [[after I back everything up 3 times.]]
One question, since you are such a fervent defender of DRM for you books, how do you back up what you read? de-DRM the ones you have bought?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
One question, since you are such a fervent defender of DRM for you books, how do you back up what you read? de-DRM the ones you have bought?
This process does work with DRM books, but there is no real point since Amazon syncs those books.

=X=
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
This process does work with DRM books, but there is no real point since Amazon syncs those books.

=X=
But I was talking about backing up. That doesn't work for DRMed books.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Hey I was researching something like this yesterday and somehow missed this post, did it last night with a combination of Tasker, Foldersync and Autoremote.

In my implementation Foldersync handles the actual syncing to my google drive account, Tasker initiates a sync whenever the reading app is closed or it receives a message from another device that a change was uploaded and Autoremote to make Tasker on each device talk to each other (for example once I close the reading app on my tablet it initiates a sync and then sends a message to my phone to wait a couple of minutes and then initiate a sync there as well).

Does Dropsync detect changes in the cloud automaticaly? does it pull changes on a schedule? or does it detect changes on the device?
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
Does Dropsync detect changes in the cloud automaticaly? does it pull changes on a schedule? or does it detect changes on the device?
No it does not. It only detects a file change locally and uploads the change to the Dropbox account. (This features is only available on the paid version).

You can set the sync time from days to minutes. I have my tool synced to once every hour and that is usually enough for my files to be in sync.

Quote:
Hey I was researching something like this yesterday and somehow missed this post, did it last night with a combination of Tasker, Foldersync and Autoremote.

In my implementation Foldersync handles the actual syncing to my google drive account, Tasker initiates a sync whenever the reading app is closed or it receives a message from another device that a change was uploaded and Autoremote to make Tasker on each device talk to each other (for example once I close the reading app on my tablet it initiates a sync and then sends a message to my phone to wait a couple of minutes and then initiate a sync there as well).
I'm intrigued by your solution. It is a bit more complicated and a bit more expensive but you get a lot of control over your final solution. I really like the fact that you are not tied to DropBox.

How is the FolderSync solution. Does it handled recursive directories. Can you apply filters so it does not sync a certain type of file?

Also how complicated is Tasker to program. It looks like you had to perform some scripting to handle the synchronization.

Last question are these the apps you used in your solution?

FolderSync: $2.29
Tasker: $6.49
AutoRemote: $.99 (Can you use the lite version?)

Total: $9.76

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DropSync: Free
DropBox: Free
Kindle 4 Andriod: Free
> Premium is not needed but useful to have.
DropSync Premium: $4.49 ( The price went down I paid around $6.50 for this app)

=X=
Old 08-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No it does not. It only detects a file change locally and uploads the change to the Dropbox account. (This features is only available on the paid version).

You can set the sync time from days to minutes. I have my tool synced to once every hour and that is usually enough for my files to be in sync.
Figures, i'm pretty sure none of the could services have any way to check changes in cloud (in a public API anyways). From what i've read of Dropsync (havent tried it miself) it works just like foldersync, try the lite version and you can see the options it has.

Quote:
I'm intrigued by your solution. It is a bit more complicated and a bit more expensive but you get a lot of control over your final solution. I really like the fact that you are not tied to DropBox.

How is the FolderSync solution. Does it handled recursive directories. Can you apply filters so it does not sync a certain type of file?
If by recursive directories you mean subfolders (english isn't my native language ) then yes it does, but only the full version. Same thing with the filters only the full version allows that.
EDIT: Dropsync has a Tasker plugin so you could use that app to sync instead of buying foldersync

Quote:
Also how complicated is Tasker to program. It looks like you had to perform some scripting to handle the synchronization.
Tasker is ugly, hard to grasp, and generally unuserfriendly........but it is very very powerful, you can schedule or set just about anything in it, watch a few videos on youtube and you'll see.

There is also a trial version of tasker at the developer's site : http://tasker.dinglisch.net/download.html

Quote:
Last question are these the apps you used in your solution?

FolderSync: $2.29
Tasker: $6.49
AutoRemote: $.99 (Can you use the lite version?)

Total: $9.76
I use the lite version of AutoRemote but the full version of Foldersync and Tasker is required.

Although Tasker has a free companion app that allows you to export profiles as APKs so maybe you could get away with not buying tasker and i'll build you a sync app, though you'd need another app to launch the apk at boot since i dont think I can have an APK from Tasker App Factory launch itself at boot (maybe you can I just havent figured out how) also I could probably use dropsync instead of foldersync to build the apk so you'd spend nothing

EDIT: For some reason I tried it out today and it's not working..... gotta check all my settings to see what I missed.....

Last edited by Catire; 08-16-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Tasker is ugly, hard to grasp, and generally unuserfriendly........but it is very very powerful, you can schedule or set just about anything in it...
Yeah I figured. I took a peek at it at the Play store and sure enough it fits your description. It reminds me of an app I use to use for the BB called BBRobot. Best app ever, I'll have to give Tasker a try.

Quote:
Although Tasker has a free companion app that allows you to export profiles as APKs so maybe you could get away with not buying tasker and i'll build you a sync app, though you'd need another app to launch the apk at boot since i dont think I can have an APK from Tasker App Factory launch itself at boot (maybe you can I just haven't figured out how) also I could probably use dropsync instead of foldersync to build the apk so you'd spend nothing

EDIT: For some reason I tried it out today and it's not working..... gotta check all my settings to see what I missed.....
That would be very cool. I might pick up tasker just because of it's features but I would like to see an APK built that kicks off the Dropsync app.

I have another question. If you use Tasker to either run AutoRemote to kick off a remote sync or do a local update, what happens when one device is not on the network? Which device is responsible for completing the task.... is that left up to Foldersync?

=X=
Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Quote:
Yeah I figured. I took a peek at it at the Play store and sure enough it fits your description. It reminds me of an app I use to use for the BB called BBRobot. Best app ever, I'll have to give Tasker a try.

That would be very cool. I might pick up tasker just because of it's features but I would like to see an APK built that kicks off the Dropsync app.

I have another question. If you use Tasker to either run AutoRemote to kick off a remote sync or do a local update, what happens when one device is not on the network? Which device is responsible for completing the task.... is that left up to Foldersync?

=X=
I'll try to build an apk tomorrow to launch drop sync after kindle is closed.

Hmm you know I hadn't thought of that, I just tested and if a device is offline it won't receive the auto remote sync message. I'll have to think on how to get around that or force a sync before launching the reader app, maybe check if it can sync before launching it....I don't think I know how to use auto remote he he......or maybe have auto remote respond somehow....
Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Here is the apk, requires at least froyo.
When you launch the app for the first time it immediately forces a sync and enables automatic sync in DropSync, when the kindle app is opened it disables automatic sync until the app is closed, when the kindle app is closed it reenables automaticsync and forces a sync.
http://db.tt/GoW61eXn
Edit: forgot the link to the app
Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
But I was talking about backing up. That doesn't work for DRMed books.
First "trust Amazon."

Second, mainly when I speak of backing up, I think of those things out "in the wind" not supported by third parties. My notes. My References. My books, articles.

Third. Before eReaders became so pervasive, I had many other files from various places that never had DRM. And of course I have many used books that I got for nominal sums $4.00 or so that I use as reference.

Fourth. The DRM I support is to protect me from you. Not so much you from me.

Fifth. Any DRM can be beat. I know this. I also know that most readers will not bother. The problem is when the people that beat DRM then put the open files out for pirating. That is my worry.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote