Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch?
Yes 27 24.32%
No 73 65.77%
I don't know yet 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #76
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wasn't aware of this! My strips are at least 7 years old.
Hi Scion, there aren't too many of them as far as I have seen, but there are quite a few. The one I easily see the most is by Belkin, it's this one:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=534674

Definitely worth the $20 (fry's electronics has a $5 rebate on it now), also has a 900 joules surge protector built-in. I recommend it, had mine for 1 week now.
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #77
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wasn't aware of this! My strips are at least 7 years old.
None of mine have USB plugs built in, but two out of three have more-or-less permanently affixed wall warts
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #78
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
Hi Scion, there aren't too many of them as far as I have seen, but there are quite a few. The one I easily see the most is by Belkin, it's this one:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=534674

Definitely worth the $20 (fry's electronics has a $5 rebate on it now), also has a 900 joules surge protector built-in. I recommend it, had mine for 1 week now.
Thanks so much for the info! I just ordered this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Surge-P...740653&sr=8-11

8 outlet / 3000 Joules

Now I can stop using my laptop to charge via USB!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #79
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Thanks for the info on the Surge Protectors w/ usb plugs! I had no idea they even existed.
Off to order myself one!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #80
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lol, this thread accidentally got servicey
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #81
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
That'd be "no" for me

The only temptation for me would be the 3G version. I enjoy having that option with the N1E. But then I weigh the downsides.

3G, obviously, costs extra. Then I definitely don't want special offers. That brings the tab up to $189 versus $139.

Then I look at the scores of epubs (DRM & not). That's just a deal breaker for me.

Both from the practical side of file conversion (too much friggin' time wasted) as well as Amazon's continued strategy of trying to lock themselves in as exclusive content providers. At least Apple, as bad as they are, allows 3rd party apps on the iPad.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #82
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Let's do a poll!

If you were on the market for a touch eink reader, and Nook Touch was a strong option for you. Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind or make you think about it?

Please be aware I am talking about the eink devices only! Not tablets, no NC, no Kindle Fire.

By the way, it would be nice if those without a Nook Touch vote here. If you have a Nook Touch already, I guess answering the poll makes no sense, no?
Well, living in Canada, I went to great lengths to buy a Nook Color, even though the Kindle was available here and was cheaper. Anything proprietary turns my stomach.

For as long as Amazon refuses to natively support the de facto eBook standard, I decline to even consider a Kindle, regardless of features or ease of purchase.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #83
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Well, living in Canada, I went to great lengths to buy a Nook Color, even though the Kindle was available here and was cheaper. Anything proprietary turns my stomach.
There's no proprietary software on a Nook Color? I was under the impression that it used the ADE firmware. That is most definitely proprietary!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 AM   #84
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no proprietary software on a Nook Color? I was under the impression that it used the ADE firmware. That is most definitely proprietary!
It supports two proprietary versions of the most standard e-book format, as well as non-restricted versions of same. Amazon's devices and software are the only places their format is used, so that the value of even non-DRM titles in that format is strictly tied to said devices and software. Even B&N's DRM is supported on devices and in software other than their own.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
It supports two proprietary versions of the most standard e-book format, as well as non-restricted versions of same. Amazon's devices and software are the only places their format is used, so that the value of even non-DRM titles in that format is strictly tied to said devices and software. Even B&N's DRM is supported on devices and in software other than their own.
Certainly; I'm well aware of that. I was just a little surprised that the previous poster would buy a device which "turns his stomach" due to the propietary nature of its firmware. One might have expected him to choose a device which had an open-source reader, such as CoolReader or FBReader, rather than that nasty propriatary Adobe/B&N stuff.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #86
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Wrong choice of words. I was not refering to the firmware, only the formats the the firmware supports. In simple terms, I will not pay money to Amazon for the priviledge of using their exclusive eBook format. I'd rather buy a Pandigital rather than a Kindle. I hope this clarifies my comment.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for that, but consider the fact that you're paying money to Adobe every time you buy an ePub book with DRM. Are Adobe any more "pure of heart" than Amazon? Personally I buy both Kindle and ePub books - whichever's more convenient. Converting format is very easy. Whatever works for you.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #88
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Thanks for that, but consider the fact that you're paying money to Adobe every time you buy an ePub book with DRM. Are Adobe any more "pure of heart" than Amazon? Personally I buy both Kindle and ePub books - whichever's more convenient. Converting format is very easy. Whatever works for you.
And, when able, an ePub without any DRM!

And on the topic of choosing a device with an open source reader, both FBReader and CoolReader run flawlessly post-root.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #89
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
Yikes! I have changed my mind. It WILL keep me from buying the Nook Touch. I don't post this to gloat in the Nook forum or anything, it's just that I did after all answer this poll and now I'm finding I am changing my mind. Assuming that someone posted this thread because they are curious about our reasons I will explain. Much of what changed my mind is probably basic knowledge to most of you, but I'm finding it difficult to keep track of which readers have what features, because I have no experience with them yet. Also it's hard to imagine what features I will really want, or whether there is another way to get what I want from the device that I'm just not aware of yet.

1. I wanted epubs because I wanted to be able to pick up free books- Most of what I like to read is out of copyright, and I was under the impression that I couldn't have them except as epubs. But browsing the Amazon store I have found ALL the selections I would pick up first for no charge whatsoever. (HP Lovecraft and Fritz Leiber are the first two authors I looked for..) I understand that maybe I just got lucky and won't be so lucky later, but even then I can use Calibre to convert epubs right? So that issue is settled with the Kindle Touch.

2. I wanted some simple apps (really simple here, I'm thinking like unit converters, calendars, calculators) and was beginning to think NOBODY in the industry was making such things for e-ink. Now I'm seeing them on the Amazon store. So there's that too! I could have gotten these on the NT if I root it, but _really_ I don't want to have to resort to that.

3. Between Amazon and B&N as corporations, I have always had better feelings about B&N. Actually I was rather angry with Amazon over some stupid personal experiences that I have had. Really that's irrelevant though, so I'm throwing that aside.

Two pros here for Amazon, one for B&N that I acknowledge is actually a foolish one.. And the Kindle is cheaper (I don't mind the ads if they don't interrupt my reading). It's looking like the Kindle I think..

I'm still waiting for my next VA payment though before I order, so I'm open to any input here. If there is something I'm missing, or any of my assumptions are wrong, please let me know!
tom e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #90
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Are you sure the e-ink Kindles will have apps? I was under the impression only the Fire would have access to the app store. Is the touch running some form of Android?