Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Should we change one of the classic months to another genre?
Yes - Change it 12 30.77%
No - Leave it as it is 20 51.28%
Either way is fine with me 7 17.95%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Duplicate Classic Genre month poll

Attention Mobile Read Book Club members:

There has been some discussion about re-working the monthly genre list so that there are not two months devoted to classics. The genre list was hashed our a few years ago.

So, please vote in this poll as to if you feel we should keep the two classic months or change one to another genre of some type.

Thanks,
BOb - MRBC Grand Poobah
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm still grumbling that someone could come into a thread and claim that he had 100% support for his position (easily disproved by scrolling upward) and essentially force a poll. But I've voted. Sigh.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm still grumbling that someone could come into a thread and claim that he had 100% support for his position (easily disproved by scrolling upward) and essentially force a poll. But I've voted. Sigh.
Actually, anyone could have put up a poll... so I figured I would... I just wanted to gauge the sentiment.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I voted and it isn't "Change it".
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In the thread I posted in initially, there wasn't any sort of keep it sentiments, It was only in the other thread that that happened.

But anyway, the poll will say it all and if we are keeping classic for December, I'm going to nominate a modern classic once I find a good one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the thread I posted in initially, there wasn't any sort of keep it sentiments, It was only in the other thread that that happened.

But anyway, the poll will say it all and if we are keeping classic for December, I'm going to nominate a modern classic once I find a good one.
How about a short one from 41 years ago?

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Sorry for the duplicate, but I posted this in the other thread (from my phone) before I realized I was supposed to post it here.:

I have voted in the poll and would like to see either:
1. Pulitzer prize winners
2. Action/Adventure
or
3. Historical Fiction

Thanks!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
How about a short one from 41 years ago?

Too old.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Some suggestions from the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
That's why I was only in favor of major awards, such as Nobel Prize winning authors, or Pulitzer Prize winning books. Not genre specific awards. But if it is an unrepresented genre we are after . . .
I would rather "any literary award" than the arguments of why this-or-that award was worth drawing from. Also, any one award is going to have, at most, a few hundred possibilities, unlike the genre options that have tens of thousands or possibly millions of options.

I don't particularly care for the idea of the "award month" book being "the Montgomery County Ladies' Quilting Club Newsletter Best book for reading when your husband is out of town," but I seriously doubt such a book would (1) be nominated, (2) get two or three followup nominations, and (3) win the popular vote. In the meantime, nominating it might pique someone's interest enough to start a discussion thread about "what books do you read when you're stuck alone at home and wish you weren't?"

Quote:
Westerns certainly is a new genre. It does not float my boat, but than neither do some of the existing genre.
That's my thoughts on it.

Quote:
War fiction? Not sure what that would be.
I think this is both too limited a genre, and too prone to arguments about which wars are valid choices. (And does it include fictional wars? Does LotR qualify?)

Quote:
Folktales and Mythical to me it would seem in practice would be giving another month to Fantasy.
I see Folktales/Mythical as a potential single genre that stands alone, well apart from Fantasy. Folktales implies an actual cultural connection in ways that Fantasy doesn't. Folktales are, AFAIK, not really eligible in any of the genre-based months. (They fit in the wild card month, and some publications of them could be classics.)

Quote:
Poetry again a currently unrepresented genre.
Yes, but poetry support in ebooks ranges from "poor" to "pathetic." I'd rather poetry was not one of the selections until/unless either the software improves (not likely) or more publishers create well-formatted poetry ebooks.

A lot of the beauty and elegance, and therefore emotional impact, of poetry can be lost by bad formatting, in ways that don't affect novels or are relatively easy to fix. (Extra half-inch margins on the novel? Throw it in Calibre & remove them. Extra half-inch margins on the poetry? Throw it in Calbre... and lose all the customized indenting, unless you know how to play with the styles & settings.)

[quote]Some possible others
Drama, i.e. written for stage performance[quote]
I think this also has formatting issues, although not as bad as poetry. I would also worry about a wide enough selection being available, apart from Shakesepeare.

Quote:
Historical fiction, possibly including alternate histories, but excluding science fiction type technology (e.g. time machines) or fantasy (e.g. magic or mythical creatures)
I'm not sure what "historical fiction" means, really. Anything deliberately set in a time well before the time the book was written? So modern noir detective stories? Westerns? Does it include historical romances? I, Claudius? Clan of the Cave Bear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
However, if it is decided that it must, here are my suggestions:

Nobel Author/Pulitzer Novel - The book must be by a Nobel-winning author or be a Pulitzer-winning book (these are the big literature awards and while there are plenty others, many are genre....to make it simple we keep it to the two big awards)
Pulitzer prize for fiction: less than 100 novels.
Nobel prize for literature: less than 100 authors, many with several works.

That's an *incredibly* tiny pool of literature, compared to "classics" or even "Any book available at Mobileread."

I wouldn't mind a limited pool of prizes, but I'd rather not point out any one or two as "the ultimate arbitrator of Good Literature Worth Reading." Choosing any one or tiny group of high-prestige, big-name prizes encourages the idea that those are the only prizes that matter.

Quote:
Drama - By this I mean simply drama-themed books, not plays. There are MANY great drama books that wouldn't fit in any category we have. "Drama" is simply a (mostly) realistic story.
I like this idea, but would want to see some discussion about what it means. Since "drama" isn't an acknowledged genre the way "fantasy" or "mystery" or "western" are, we'd need some fairly simple way to decide, "is this book I like a drama or not?"

Quote:
Adventure - Books that include travelling, daring and courageous acts, journeys, etc.
Same issue--reasonable thought for a category, but without publisher labels, how do we decide if a book is-or-is-not an "adventure" book?

If I thought I'd get any support for the idea, I'd push for a month of "derivative, transformative and/or spinoff books"--something based on another work, whether that's a book, movie, or something else. Could include sequels, franchise-novels like Star Trek, books like My Jim and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. (And [other] fanfic.)

But I don't think enough people would find that a compelling genre of book for discussion.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Either way is fine for me. What makes a book enjoyable is quality, not genre, exactly like with people (the word should be gender in this case, but in Italian is the same word so I could not resist adventuring a punch line).

Classic is fine, but probably I have read it if it is good. So the novelty part of the attraction will be partially forfeited.

Something new is always welcome, if it is any good. Preferably shortish. That is a plus for a new thing.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I voted to change it, as I would like to see a month of Nobel/Pulitzer Prize winners, or even two non-fiction months, but two months of classics aren't going to kill me.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I voted change it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If we end up keeping classic in December, I'm going to nominate Harry Potter for the December read.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
If we end up keeping classic in December, I'm going to nominate Harry Potter for the December read.
You're free to nominate it, but I doubt you'll get the requisite number of supporting votes to put it on the ballot. And you'll face a lot of contempt for insisting that a book less than 20 years old is a "classic."

Popularity, even with immense current relevance, is not the same as staying power.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Really...?? Now you're starting to be silly. Lord of the Rings, maybe classic. Harry Potter. Good luck with that.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote