Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
pewterbot9
Edge User

Cool Don't buy that junk!

While I find my Pocket Edge to be a most elegant and exquisite piece of technology, well worth it's price, I have to say I am way less pleased at the poor quality and/or pricey accessories offered at their online shop. Here's my rundown:

- Neoprene Case/Touring Sleeve: Unless your budget is better than threadbare, why spend $23 for a PE case/sleeve (and $40 for the EE version). Not to mention additional shipping/tax fees. You can find excellent cases, and a wider variety of them, at your local thrift shop. For what...5, 10 dollars?

- USB to Fast Ethernet Adapter: $30 (plus shipping/tax)...but the same can be purchased at an electronics/computer parts shop for around $15 (including shipping)...or at Amazon.com for the same amount (plus shipping/tax...still a good deal).

- iRizer Stand + mini Rizer: Forty figgin' dollahs for a simple stand? Just go to your nearest office supply store and pick one up for cheap. (Or once again, yard sale or thrift shop.)

- USB Flex Neck (Soft Touch Black) Light: Eighteen dollars is just too much for something you can get at Walgreens for a few bucks. I opted for a $6 5-led head lamp that fits comfortably around my head with cloth stretch bands.

- Stylus, Replacement (3 Pack): Well, I haven't looked into this yet, but I'm sure I can find a similar stylus for considerably less than 3-for-30. (Considering Entourage's price gouging on all other accessories, it's a no-brainer.)

- Klear Screen Deluxe Cleaning Kit: Twenty-five G. Washingtons? You can get the same LCD screen cleaner in handy spray-pump bottles at your local office supply stores for one-third the price. Or buy lens cleaner at Walgreens, it's the same stuff, safe to use on binocular, eyeglass, telescope, and camera lenses...it is equally safe for LCD screens. I've used it for years. A bottle that'll last months, will set you back oh, around 5 whopping dollahs. And for another 3-4 bucks, buy the specially made microfiber lens-cleaning cloth.

- StuffBak - Rugged Pack/Warrior Pack: 12 and 17 dollars, respectively. For a false sense of security. Three or five aluminum tags that "make it easy (and Compelling!!) for good Samaritans, lost and found personnel, and police departments to return lost or stolen items". That's quite an optimistic long shot there, lil fella! You can purchase the same level of security (which is almost zilch) at any hardware store...for, I dunno...8 or 9 dollahs?

Well, that about wraps it up; I hope I've helped spared some of us from wasting our hard-earned moolah. This is a disappointment, this cheapening of the spirit of a great product: totally needless and somewhat alarming. Like the chintzy built-in camcorder.

As for the power supply and battery...oh well, maybe we're stuck with Entourage's price for the nonce...until equivalent knockoffs start showing themselves on eBay!

Cheerz 4 better yearz. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by pewterbot9; 12-30-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
alefor
Edge User

Actually, I suggest replacing the power supply, if you have a soldering iron and minimal skill. The Pocket eDGE supply is fine, nice and small and portable. But the EE "brick" is annoyingly large. You can get a Pocket eDGe adapter to replace it, or you can do it yourself. The problem is that the tip (that plugs into the EE itself) used in the eDGe seems to be quite rare. So, just cut the tip off the "brick" that comes with the eDGe and attach it to a nice small 12V AC adapter that you can easily find for $10.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
borisb
Edge User

First off, I take umbrage to your use of the word "junk". Junk implies less than low quality, which this stuff is *not*. I've bought many of the accessories over the past year, and they are not "junk".

As for price, the enTourage accessories, for the most part, are for "convenience" not for the lowest price, in my opinion You're free to buy elsewhere. The advantage of buying from enTourage is that there's no guesswork with "will it fit/work".

If you know of sleeves/cases that fit the PE perfectly (from *experience*!), please post links. The small PE is not a standard size, and even netbook sleeves are too large. Some ebook readers, like the Kindle, are similar in size, but a bit wider/taller and these tend to be thinner than the PE. Ultimately, you may find you have no choice to go with the enTourage one simply because you may not find any others.

For the USB-to-Ethernet adapter, the Amazon link you posted shows crossover adapters, which is very different and useless with the eDGe. Furthermore, forums members in the past have lamented buying any ol' USB-To-Ethernet adapter only to find it doesn't work on the eDGe. Read http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...light=ethernet to get the right information on which types of adapters will work on the eDGe so that you don't waste time and money

As for the stylus, again you have to buy a very specific replacement and not "just any ol' stylus". The forums have a few threads on how to find the larger full-size Wacom penabled pens, but noone has posted links for the smaller styli (which, mind you, has to be an exact size and shape to fit in the eDGe's holder, otherwise you might as well get the large pen). The cost of the large pen, btw, is $30-$40 - and that's for *one* pen.

The other items you mentioned are mostly commodities, and there are other threads that offer alternatives outside the enTourage store.

So, while your opinion is certainly valid, your conclusions may not match those of others

Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
pewterbot9
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
First off, I take umbrage to your use of the word "junk". Junk implies less than low quality, which this stuff is *not*.
Junk is low quality. Some of their products are either low quality, or overpriced to the max.

Quote:
I've bought many of the accessories over the past year, and they are not "junk".
Such as? Do tell, I'm all ears.

As I recall, a certain someone advised in another thread that the only cleaner he knows of that works with the Edge is Entourage's own brand. That is definitely not the case...while the Edge is unique as a device, there is nothing new about the material used in its plastic case and LED screen. This is such an obvious untruth, I'm rather stymied that he would make such a claim.

Quote:
As for price, the enTourage accessories, for the most part, are for "convenience" not for the lowest price, in my opinion You're free to buy elsewhere.
And you're free to waste your money.

Quote:
The advantage of buying from enTourage is that there's no guesswork with "will it fit/work".
Not necessarily. Such as the flaky flex neck light...which is junk for sure. I've seen those same lights close up...they're very tacky, probably worth less than 50 cents in parts. But they do look classy under bubble wrap! Once you open the package, it's a whole 'nother story. I believe you even discussed that issue in another thread.

Quote:
If you know of sleeves/cases that fit the PE perfectly (from *experience*!), please post links.
You're being silly. I've found very nice cases all the time at thrift stores, for my netbook, laptop, and subnotebook. They all fit perfectly, and look great. And soon, I will find one that will be perfect for my Pocket Edge. Besides getting an attractive, durable case for cheap, it's fun to hunt one down.

Quote:
The small PE is not a standard size, and even netbook sleeves are too large. Some ebook readers, like the Kindle, are similar in size, but a bit wider/taller and these tend to be thinner than the PE. Ultimately, you may find you have no choice to go with the enTourage one simply because you may not find any others.
Grasping at straws are we? I could see your point about the ethernet adapter, but you seem to be trying way too hard to convince viewers here, how preferable it is to purchase only Entourage branded products, in spite of their excessive price...and shoddiness in some cases. Yes, "convenience" is a factor...but that's an old ploy played by many for-profit businesses long before Entourage came along. Make them believe they are utterly dependent on their accessories, and their accessories alone. And it's a shoddy way to treat one's customers. As if they don't really believe in their main product.

Quote:
For the USB-to-Ethernet adapter, the Amazon link you posted shows crossover adapters, which is very different and useless with the eDGe.
I stand corrected, and have changed the link accordingly, to point to one that is known to work with the EE and PE, via Amazon.com (not eBay) as another posted in the thread you referenced. The corrected URL is: http://tinyurl.com/29oql8l

And the price for the adapter from Amazon is what...a measly $15 (including shipping). So there is a considerably less expensive solution, which you apparently prefer to ignore. You just need to get the StarTech USB2106S adapter.

Quote:
As for the stylus, again you have to buy a very specific replacement and not "just any ol' stylus".
Yes, whatever material is in the tip, to make the reader screen respond. I'm sure it's something simple like static, either plastic or some cheap alloy. I just got my PE several days ago, haven't had time yet to look into this. But I have seen just these types of skinny, small styluses being used on other small LCD devices, and they're likely made of the same stuff. I will shortly visit various computer and office supply stores, to see what they cost.

These styluses are easily lost or misplaced, thus the expense adds up. I'm sure if users could find a less costly solution, they'd be more than happy to forego an exact fit.

Besides, from perusing many threads here, I notice you have a wealth of knowledge on matters technical. Thus, causing me to suspect you already know what type of stylus will suffice and what to look for...and are just withholding the info in order to persuade Edge users to shop at Entourage.

Quote:
The forums have a few threads on how to find the larger full-size Wacom penabled pens
Yes, well, those Wacoms are expensive, I know...but I think it is obvious to any reader, I did not mean Wacoms, I meant these generic, skinny plastic styluses that are most likely cheaper purchased elsewhere. Though the more expensive pens have certain advantages for artistic needs, which even the original Edge stylus does not have. But I wasn't talking about those kind of requirements, and you do know that.

Quote:
The other items you mentioned are mostly commodities, and there are other threads that offer alternatives outside the enTourage store.
Well, do you disagree with their solutions, too? That's pretty much my point: to add to the list of money saving alternatives.

Quote:
So, while your opinion is certainly valid, your conclusions may not match those of others
Certainly, not yours. I think you've made a very weak case for yourself. Especially when it comes to the screen cleaner...makes one question the validity of your other claims.

Quote:
I do not work for enTourage.
Hmmm, but maybe you're kissing up? Can't say as I blame you, as we are all desperate to find decent-paying jobs. It just should not be at the expense of others who want to enjoy a community of Edge advocates. And not be misled.

Last edited by pewterbot9; 12-30-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
pewterbot9
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
So, just cut the tip off the "brick" that comes with the eDGe and attach it to a nice small 12V AC adapter that you can easily find for $10.
I don't own the EE, so I didn't know about that. I'm sure others who do, appreciate this excellent DIY tip. Thanks, alefor.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
dcubed2
Edge User

I haven't bought any extra, though I should, but the slim styluses only look like the cheap ones that work on other devices, like a DS. It has the pen-enabled circuitry that makes it work on the eInk side, a DS or other non pen-enabled stylus will not. Any will work on the lcd side, however. You may be able to find other slim styluses that are pen-enabled cheaper. I don't know, never looked. I'll buy from Entourage to make sure they fit in the slot, unless I hear of other ones that fir in the slot and are better than the Entourage ones.

I'm waiting for screen protectors from Entourage that don't need to be cut or fiddled with.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Dr. T
Edge User

I have only ordered two of the accessories offered on the Entourage site: the light and the cleaner. I find them both to be of high quality and very useful. I will say, however, that enTourage's shipping costs are so high that it made sense for me to buy these from other outlets.

Just my two cents...

Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewterbot9 View Post
Yes, whatever material is in the tip, to make the reader screen respond. I'm sure it's something simple like static, either plastic or some cheap alloy. I just got my PE several days ago, haven't had time yet to look into this. But I have seen just these types of skinny, small styluses being used on other small LCD devices, and they're likely made of the same stuff. I will shortly visit various computer and office supply stores, to see what they cost.
No, it's not especially simple. I broke a wacom penabled stylus for another reader and pulled it apart completely. It is surprisingly complicated rocket science in there. Multiple layers of washers, o-rings, hair-fine coils, etc.

If the LCD devices you're looking at don't say "Penabled" then it is not using a compatible stylus. Any old, cheap plastic stick won't do for the edge's eReader screen. While it would work on the LCD side, it seems to me to be less convenient to keep track of two different stylii for each screen.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewterbot9 View Post
While I find my Pocket Edge to be a most elegant and exquisite piece of technology, well worth it's price, I have to say I am way less pleased at the poor quality and/or pricey accessories offered at their online shop. Here's my rundown:

- USB to Fast Ethernet Adapter: $30 (plus shipping/tax)...but the same can be purchased at an electronics/computer parts shop for around $15 (including shipping)...or at Amazon.com for the same amount (plus shipping/tax...still a good deal).

- USB Flex Neck (Soft Touch Black) Light: Eighteen dollars is just too much for something you can get at Walgreens for a few bucks. I opted for a $6 5-led head lamp that fits comfortably around my head with cloth stretch bands.

- Stylus, Replacement (3 Pack): Well, I haven't looked into this yet, but I'm sure I can find a similar stylus for considerably less than 3-for-30. (Considering Entourage's price gouging on all other accessories, it's a no-brainer.)
FWIW, I bought an adapter this summer in the Netherlands for about 10 Euros. It didn't work and I couldn't return it, so I had to buy another one. Wish I'd just bought the one from Entourage that I knew for sure would work.

I also nearly bought a reading light with a flexible neck, but was spared wasting any more money by being allowed to test it before buying it. The light was so poor that it was actually dimmer than the flashlight available through My Settings. I've seen (but not bought) the little light Entourage sells. It's much brighter than anything costing less than that price that I've seen.

As for the replacement stylus, I had a rather unfortuante design accident with my original stylus and had to replace it. Three for $30 isn't so bad, though I agree with Dr. T that shipping costs are a bit high.

And of course, you can always buy anything cheaper in a thrift store if you don't mind buying it used or without a warranty.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
Hopi
Edge User

I use a China-made USB light with flexible neck. It is a 7-LED tube (pencil-size diameter, about 6 inches long so it lights up a wide swath ) that I picked up for a few pence over 2 pounds. So far it works and it's bright.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
Steed
Edge User

pewterbot9,

You show true ignorance when you post things like this without actually doing the research first. Sure you can find many comparable items for less, does this mean they are better? NO!! Just because the products you see in the enTourage store do not look "quality" to you, does that mean they are not? NO!! You do not know what the quality of the products are unless you try them or get the opinion of someone that has tried them to educate you of their quality.

If you look around on these forums you will notice we have already discussed what accessories users have found outside of enTourage that work/fit and what does not. If you know of or find lower priced items that work for either the EE or PE, please share with the rest of us and we will be happy to listen and appreciate your input. But until then do not badmouth the products you see on this site simply by their appearance and cost.

As boris mentioned some of the products in the store may seem priced a little high, but they are there for your convenience. And remember you do not have to buy anything from the store unless you want to. You always have a choice. And also note, if you look at other Name Brand products like Apple, HP, Dell, etc. you will always find their products/accessories are priced higher than their non-name brand and smaller name brand equivalents.

Please have a little respect when you post statements to our forum. Have a wonderful day.

Steed

Old 01-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Junk is low quality. Some of their products are either low quality, or overpriced to the max.

IF the Entourage products you mentioned are so low quality, maybe you should talk to the marking and sales staff so they can explain to you how business today really works instead of assuming that the company (Entourage) is trying to two-time it customers by selling "junk" accessories; I'm sure you'll change your opinion once you really understand the product placement, procurement, overhead and all related economics stuff that's beyond me. Just because you believe the Entourage accessories to be "overprices to the max" does not imply that they are junk. Yes, you can buy cheaper peripherals elsewhere; but you if you are able to afford a PE and be proud of being an owner, then you clearly understand where it belongs in the socio-economic hierarchy and that it requires quality goods to be associated with it.

Snide attacks and poor accusations on one of the most benevolent and selfless members of the Edge forums also do not help your case for trying to help newcomers either. If you've ready ANY of Boris' posts, you know that he treats everyone with respect and courtesy as both a human being and a lover of the Entourage product line. Falsely assuming that he's here to help people with support questions because he's desperate to have a "real" job is truly disgusting to read. Boris has explicitly said that he does not get paid by Entourage to help others on the forums; he does so out of his own desire to help. From what I've read from your initial post, all you've done is insight outrage and pick apart reason with misguided bias against Entourage in the name of "helping other people save a dollar/euro".

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but when you start pointing fingers at people here on the forums and disrespecting them through shamefully conceited and delusional bigotry, the gloves WILL come off and you may find your stay here brief. No threats from me, but "action and reaction/karma".

Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
Chubulor
Edge User

The accessories are high-priced because you can't get them anywhere else, at least not without a lot of effort. Unfortunately, that's how most electronic device manufacturers make their money, so I don't begrudge Entourage from playing the same games. Of course that doesn't mean I'm buying the Entourage cheerleading squad's apologetics about it either.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
lisa031825
Edge User

By way of comparison, the cheapest stylus that works (well) on the iPad sells for $12 - $15.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
gecko
Edge User

Hmm ... your profile says you haven't made any friends yet. I wonder why.