Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
FBReader for new BETA firmware

I compiled FBReader to run on the new firmware (only problem was missing library). If you already had FBReader installed use the bin and binding.zip-files. If this is the first time you install FBReader on your SD-card, then you also need the cfg.zip-file.
Unzip the files you need on your SD-card. In Programs/Install there will be a new icon to install the bindings of the the file extensions to FBReader [pdb,fb2,zip,rtf,orb,tcr,opf,oebzip,chm]. This version of FBReader also shows-up in the TaskBar. The install does a reset of the reader, but it might also be safe to do a proper shutdown after the installation, see the Xournal post.

Please let me know if you find any problems. (I only tested with one file.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip FBReader.10.2.bin.zip (1.59 MB, 579 views)
File Type: zip FBReader.10.2.binding.zip (7.8 KB, 491 views)
File Type: zip FBReader.10.2.cfg.zip (1.6 KB, 526 views)
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Loading documents in FBReader seems to be a lot slower then on R1.7.1 I am not sure why this is. Guess I have to wait for the R2.0 SDK and use the debugger.
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
@Mackx
Is it possible to place an icon for FBReader somewhere like in 1.71 for starting it? The old "desktop"-shortcut in the programs-folder does not work.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
@Mackx
Is it possible to place an icon for FBReader somewhere like in 1.71 for starting it? The old "desktop"-shortcut in the programs-folder does not work.
Hi ThR,

There is a desktop-file in the bin.zip-file, doesn't that one work? I cannot try myself anymore, the right-side keys stopped working, so I downgraded to R1.7.1. Is FBReader working when you select a .chm/.fb2 file? or is it not working at all?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

@Mackx
No, the Icon will not work and FBreader will not start when I select a RTF-File (after installing the extentions).
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
@Mackx
No, the Icon will not work and FBreader will not start when I select a RTF-File (after installing the extentions).
Hi ThR,
I will see if I find some time today to install R2.0 again and look into the issue.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
ThR
Tatütatuter

Thanks a lot. But don't hurry. It's beta.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
But don't hurry. It's beta.
Oops sorry, already installed R2.0 again ...
It seems I messed-up some of the libraries. Can you rename: \Programs\_fbreader\lib\libcurl.so.5 to libcurl.so.4 and try again?
(I build fbreader in the R1.7.1 SDK, which has libcurl.so.4, the new firmware has libcurl.s0.5. Somehow I got confused, probably was in too much hurry to post to this forum).

I will update the first post later, if this works for you.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
ThR
Tatütatuter

Done and run!

If irex will correct their bugs within FW 2.0 as fast as you - that would be great!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
If irex will correct their bugs within FW 2.0 as fast as you - that would be great!
Well... I am professionally also involved in testing embedded software. All things I would do professionally before delivering software I do NOT do with the software I post here , mainly because it would take a lot of time to test everything to be sure that the changes are working correctly and do not lead to regression in other functionallity. I only do some limited testing and (normally) use the software myself a few days before posting. I can imagine that a full (regression) test-run for the DR software will take several manweeks.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
jsway
jsway began at the beginning.

Device: dr1000s
Thanks a lot. This works after i changed the file extention.
jsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Wanting them to be faster might sound good at first, but it would lead to a lot more problems. I certainly prefer that they take their time and make sure it's right rather than rush updates/patches out the door. As Mackx says, the kind of stuff 3rd party developers can get away with cut a lot of the corners that a professional company needs to pay attention to.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
hoesterholt
hoesterholt began at the beginning.

Device: iRex dr1000s, hanvon 526
fbreader epub - images? / dutch hyphenation?

Hello,

fbreader is a *lot* faster then the default epub reader for dr1000. However, it doesn't do css, doesn't display images and has no dutch hyphenation.

Will it sometime? And when will the latest release be supported?
hoesterholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoesterholt View Post
Hello,

fbreader is a *lot* faster then the default epub reader for dr1000. However, it doesn't do css, doesn't display images and has no dutch hyphenation.

Will it sometime? And when will the latest release be supported?
Most porting activities for the DR are now waiting for the official release of the R2.0 firmware and its sources. Is there is specific FBReader version that does the features that you mention?

See also this thread, the images should also run on a dr1000 (with R2.0 beta). It also discusses newer FBReader versions.

Last edited by Mackx; 05-10-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added link to other thread
Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #15
Pagnol
Pagnol began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
Is anyone going to compile FBReader for RC3, as the final version of firmware 2.0 will never be released? I'd definitely appreciate!
Pagnol is offline   Reply With Quote