Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
motorcyclist
motorcyclist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 and kindle 3 KB
Can words in Kindle dictionary be pronounced in audio?

Hi,
Can any word in the Kindle dictionary be pronounced in audio?
Thanks.
-mike-
motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Based on my experience with the Kindle 2 and the New Oxford American Dictionary, it looks like the answer is no.

There's no specific pronunciation facility for the dictionary, and the usual text-to-speech option isn't enabled.

It might be different with more recent versions or with different dictionaries. I don't know.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
motorcyclist
motorcyclist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 and kindle 3 KB
Thanks for the reply, MikeL. It's logical to expect a device that has audio capability and text-to-speech to pronounce any word in the dictionary, but it doesn't.

I wonder if there is any third-party dictionary that provides this?
motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not familiar with using third-party dictionaries on the Kindle 3, at least not as the lookup dictionary for when reading a book. I do know that many of the eBook reading apps for iOS (iPad/iPhone) and Android have lookup dictionaries with a button you can press to hear the word pronounced. But I know of no eInk reader with this native ability.

BTW, The Kindle 3 dictionary does have pronunciation symbols if you expand the small lookup window to fullscreen, but it will not sound out the word AFAIK.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Unfortunately, text-to-speech does not always pronounce words correctly, so I wouldn't want to rely on it to pronounce dictionary words correctly.

The K1's dictionary showed the International Phonetic Alphabet version of how to pronounce words, when you clicked on the word detail. I understand that is no longer the case, which is too bad.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Unfortunately, text-to-speech does not always pronounce words correctly, so I wouldn't want to rely on it to pronounce dictionary words correctly.

The K1's dictionary showed the International Phonetic Alphabet version of how to pronounce words, when you clicked on the word detail. I understand that is no longer the case, which is too bad.
K3 has two dictionaries, the New Oxford American Dictionary does have IPA spelling if you actually go to the dictionary listing. I have several 3rd party dictionaries, TTS is not enabled in any of them. It's not a DRM restriction, just a 'feature' of TTS apparently.

It's not clear why you'd need the dictionary to have TTS pronounce the word, if it is in the text then just use the TTS there. If there's something in the dictionary you want TTS to read, you can create a highlight, then find this in My Clippings and use TTS there. Not very convenient but ...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
That's nice to know about the NOA dictionary having the pronunciation guide. I had not heard that before. Maybe a lot of Kindle users use the other dictionary? I've long been used to dictionary IPA versions of pronunciation, so that works great for me, if I ever upgrade to a K3 or 4 (when it comes out).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote