Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
B&N What Went Wrong & When ?

From my prospective B&N started the downward spiral back in 2012, when they sold the New Nook Tablet. They sold like hot cakes just before Christmas, but B&N took the ability for them to be side loaded with customer apps. This caused an uproar on the B&N brds. People were returning them in large numbers. Many had been gifts. This was a PR. nightmare for B&N when they closed the Nook Tablet after people bought and started loading their own apps on the Nook Tablet. Soon after Google came out with the Nexus 7. Many of the customers B&N lost, bought a Nexus 7.

B&N could have kept those customers if it wasn't so stubborn. They did add Google Play Store later with the HD. & HD+ but it was too late. They had to slash the price for both.

I had the first Nook e-ink with color covers, I loved it, I thought it was ahead of the competition, I also had a Nook Color and rooted it like many others. When the Nook Tablet came out, I wanted to get one too. But after seeing the boards on B&N, I also just bought a Nexus 7.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My feeling is that B&N went wrong when they partitioned the memory in the nook Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My feeling is that B&N went wrong when they partitioned the memory in the nook Reader.
I absolutely agree with that for myself personally. Way back when Kobo-Kindle-Nook were just starting this is why I ruled out the Nook. The Kindle has more limited format support which is why I went Kobo, but to the average consumer... they don't care. I don't think the average consumer really cares all that much about the partitioned memory or formats.

Wasn't the Nook a loss leader? Selling more meant fewer profits so they had to lock down non-book buying purchases. I propose it was a lack of understanding of the market: BPH price collusion, B&M bookstore mentality, not understanding about the appeal of side-loading apps, etc. These all combined and crippled the Nook's ability to make enough volume in book (or add-on) sales and thus reap the profits the execs dreamed of. The pets.com mentality of the .com boom years: we'll make up for it in volume.

Amazon got it and still gets it -- their own app store, advertising apps, etc. Kobo got it enough to still be around today -- IMO International support is what saved them.

Last edited by artifact; 06-07-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Just had to add the comparsion to pets.com
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My sister was a big nook fan for a while. The nook was her first ebook reader and she bought several over the years.

My guess is that B&N's ultimate issue is that they were a me too product that never gave people a reason to by a nook rather than a kindle. They don't have nearly the selection of books that Amazon has, the nook is no better than the kindle and the B&N ebook store is pretty second rate. I would also speculate that B&N in general appeals to those who like to walk into a store and browse, i.e. those who like paper books rather than electronic books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Our first, and only, nook was a gift from a friend who had just purchased a kindle. My wife used it a few times, but was so unimpressed with the slow response and limited features when compared to the ipad and the plethora of reading apps available, that she tried to give it to one of the kids...they laughed...

I bought a few books from BN but I just couldn't get past that you had to leave a credit card on file to even register an account. I even went back and tried to redownload previously purchased books and couldn't because I didn't remember which CC I had used...

It's sad too...because I like the BN Brick-n-Mortar store and would like to support other options besides Amazon.

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-07-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I would also speculate that B&N in general appeals to those who like to walk into a store and browse, i.e. those who like paper books rather than electronic books.
BnN got this. The marketing was you could (and still can?) walk into a bookstore and browse to your delight and purchase the ebook version right there in the store. That was a HUGE deal, IMO, when the Kindle was first scrambling for market share and absolutely not something Amazon can compete with. Kobo had/has something similar with Chapters in Canada.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For context:

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2014...nooks-decline/

Nook claimed 25% ebook market share in 2010-12.

It kinda looks like they'll stop losing money when they stop selling ebooks.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-07-2015 at 01:00 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Bad customer service, especially when good customer service is so available from Amazon.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
BnN got this. The marketing was you could (and still can?) walk into a bookstore and browse to your delight and purchase the ebook version right there in the store. That was a HUGE deal, IMO, when the Kindle was first scrambling for market share and absolutely not something Amazon can compete with. Kobo had/has something similar with Chapters in Canada.
Way back when I was still going to the B&N and the nook first came out, I actually tried that. I would go to the store, browse around a bit and if I saw something that I liked, I checked the B&N ebook store to see if they had it. Most of the time, they didn't. So I would check with Amazon. If Amazon had it, I bought it from them, otherwise I bought the paper addition. For a couple of years, I was buying 50/50 with regards to ebooks/paper books.

(btw, I did buy a nook. After playing with it a bit, I still preferred my iPad and Sony PRS-505, so I ended up giving it to my sister. I've bought a lot of different ebook readers over the years. Ultimately, content is king. Sony was actually pushing Amazon on content early on and had a number of books that Amazon didn't have, which is why I bought a couple hundred books from the Sony ebook store. But they dropped the ball on the software side and Amazon blew past them. )

Last edited by pwalker8; 06-07-2015 at 05:06 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Inside Scoop!

Barnes & Noble is poised for a major comeback as their next generation NOOK ereader will be built from Legos.

Combining their two major constituencies is a surefire "win-win" scenario.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Barnes & Noble is poised for a major comeback as their next generation NOOK ereader will be built from Legos.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post

LOL , Calenorn , That would certainly bring more kids into the store.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
I absolutely agree with that for myself personally. Way back when Kobo-Kindle-Nook were just starting this is why I ruled out the Nook. The Kindle has more limited format support which is why I went Kobo, but to the average consumer... they don't care. I don't think the average consumer really cares all that much about the partitioned memory or formats.

Wasn't the Nook a loss leader? Selling more meant fewer profits so they had to lock down non-book buying purchases. I propose it was a lack of understanding of the market: BPH price collusion, B&M bookstore mentality, not understanding about the appeal of side-loading apps, etc. These all combined and crippled the Nook's ability to make enough volume in book (or add-on) sales and thus reap the profits the execs dreamed of. The pets.com mentality of the .com boom years: we'll make up for it in volume.

Amazon got it and still gets it -- their own app store, advertising apps, etc. Kobo got it enough to still be around today -- IMO International support is what saved them.
I agree Kobo is a good example of turning things around after Boarders closed, with International sales. They are still popular devices here in the U.S.

I also agree B&N didn't see the popularity of apps. They were a book store and thought only about books. But somehow they didn't notice how many of their customers who were rooting the Nook Color , and talking about it on B&N brds. I don't know if anyone from B&N hierarchy ever read their device brds. Or they just ignored them ?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
The reason I went away from nook was the partitioned memory. The sd card made up for that, but when they dropped that option from their latest model I decided to change vendors. I never had any other issue with my previous nooks. My few interactions with their CS were favorable and they always had the ebooks that I wanted. I used to love the read in store feature and would spend my lunch in the B&N by my work reading new titles. Even though I now have a Kobo, I still buy most of my ebooks through B&N, mostly because I am comfortable with their environment.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
Bad customer service, especially when good customer service is so available from Amazon.
I agree, I remember i the early days when I had Nooks, B&N had trained people in the store who would be at the Nook Station and help customers who would bring their Nook's in for help. There were lines at the Nook Station. I always thought that was a plus for B&N to have a store where people could go to get help. I don't know if they still do that ?

Now Amazon has the Mayday button, I have not used it yet but I'm glad it's there. I think the key to Amazon's success is good service, not only cheaper e-books. Not everything is cheaper on Amazon, but I will buy from them even if something costs a little more. I know if I have a problem, they will work with me to resolve it as best they can. I wish other companies would catch on and do the same.