Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You may perhaps be misled by the way that Amazon show things on the screen. When it says "$0 for Prime Members" (or whatever it is that it says), that indicates that the book can be borrowed from the Prime Lending Library, not that you can actually keep it forever free of charge.
IMHO that is wrong. Here is a link for a FREE PURCHASE of an Amazon eBook:

http://www.amazon.com/Tag-Team-ebook...ika+for+kindle

That eBook has an Amazon price of 99 cents for non-Prime members.

However, I am a Prime Member and it may display differently if one is not a Prime Member. If I PURCHASE that eBook, I keep it permanently and it does not affect my borrowing limits. An invoice is created with a zero charge. My wife has "purchased" many of those ebooks and I still have them in my library. They did not affect borrowed eBooks.

Borrowed ebooks must be initiated from the Device: PW or KFHD.

There are MILLIONS of purchase for free eBooks for Prime members in addition to having borrowing priveleges for others. Many of those "eBooks" are less than 200 pages with some being only a few pages.

In addition Prime Members now have the privelege to LOAN eBooks they purchased to their family and friends. One just goes back to the eBook page on Amazon and brings up the Loan Pane and then enters the email address of the Loanee. The Loanee does not have to be a Prime Member.

If one loans the eBook, one cannot use it for 2 weeks while the Loanee reads it. After the 2 week period it is returned to the Loaner.

It appears that, if an eBook privately published via Amazon stops selling paid copies, Amazon drops them to the free purchase list for Prime Members. That provision may even be part of the contract the author signs with Amazon. It may not apply to all ebooks offered by most brick and mortar publishers.

My problem with that policy is that it never applies to footnoted, long eBooks of 600 pages up to 1,000 pages. Those are the only eBooks I read and my choices are history and biography.

One added benefit for Prime Members just started in the last 10 days is free ONE DAY delivery on all purchases. I purchased two items and received them the NEXT DAY. I don't believe Amazon has announced this yet.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-07-2012 at 03:58 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
IMHO that is wrong. Here is a link for a FREE PURCHASE of an Amazon eBook:

http://www.amazon.com/Tag-Team-ebook...ika+for+kindle

That eBook has an Amazon price of 99 cents for non-Prime members.
That book is currently free for everyone, not just Prime members.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Free and Prime Loan eBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That book is currently free for everyone, not just Prime members.
Thanks. Then it implies ALL the Free eBooks are for everyone.

Here are my search results for Loanable and Free eBooks:

Enter in Kindle Store category the following search terms:

kindle edition > Prime Eligible

It returns 1,776,409 Results. Those are all eligible for borrowing at the one per month rate.

Then enter: free ebooks

It returns 54,937 Results. Those are the zero cost eBooks available to everyone.

1.8 million eBooks are more than enough for the average fiction reader.

By using the operator, ">", you can refine those searches by genre and other preferences.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-07-2012 at 04:38 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru
1.8 million eBooks are more than enough for the average fiction reader.

By using the operator, ">", you can refine those searches by genre and other preferences.
Reading is so much more than a numbers game, though.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Keep in mind you must initiate borrowing from a Kindle, not a computer browser, or it will turn into a purchase instead. Yet you must return it with a computer browser (manage your kindle page), not the Kindle. A bit inconvenient sometimes. Also you cannot use Kindle apps to read them, only a Kindle device.

Actually, I always return them on my Kindle. It happens at the same time I am getting my new Prime selection, it asks me to return the old one first.

I too made a wishlist, which then I access on my Kindle to pick my next selection. A lot of stuff available is stuff that already came up for free at some point. But I know the genre's I like so I browse Amazon publishing since all their books are in the KOLL program. . Before Amazon published a lot of stuff, I was almost running out of books I was interested in. I am now planning ahead several months.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Reading is so much more than a numbers game, though.
So true. I personally fine the Lending Library full of Junk. I use Lendle or other websites like it get the books I want loan to me. No lending limit but there is a two week read period before it expires.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #22
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Blossom, I have four library cards now, so I am super happy.
Oh wow, thanks for the Lendle.me tip!! What other websites like it are there?

Last edited by xendula; 12-07-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #23
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So true. I personally fine the Lending Library full of Junk. I use Lendle or other websites like it get the books I want loan to me. No lending limit but there is a two week read period before it expires.
Yeah, most of it is junk, but I am now plowing my way through the Montlake Romance catalog.
I am determined to use my monthly allotment if it kills me.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
^ I have four library cards now, so I am super happy.
How does Lendle work? I post the books I have and someone gets in touch with me if they want me to lend them one? I hate when you get to a site and there is zero info on how it works
Everything is auto. You add books you have to lend to the site. When someone requests that book Lendle sends you a email and you go through their site to lend the book. Once the Lend is return you receive one Lending credit to request a book you like to read. I've gotten quite a few books this way. You have 7 days to pick up the book when it is lent to you and 14 days once picked up to read it. There is no personal contact between Lender and Borrower. It all done through their site and Amazon's.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #25
xendula
eBookworm

^ Sorry, it looked like my original post did not make it through, so I ended up editing it. Once I saw the site, I coud not resist signing up right away

Are none of the Penguin books lending enabled, does anyone know?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #26
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Blossom: How does this work with Amazon's/publishers limit of how many times you can lend a certain book?
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
^ Blossom, I have four library cards now, so I am super happy.
Oooo... library hoarder, eh?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Blossom: How does this work with Amazon's/publishers limit of how many times you can lend a certain book?
As long as the publisher has set the book as being lendable you can lend it to someone once for 14 days. That's it once it's been lent it can't be lent to anyone ever again.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Oooo... library hoarder, eh?
Yes, and I say it with pride!!

It now feels like Netflix for books.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes, and I say it with pride!!

It now feels like Netflix for books.
I have three. Two local cards and one FLoP card.