Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Nabodita
Connoisseur
Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Arrow Please Help Me Test My File

I'm developing ebooks in Bangla, an Indic language not supported by Kindle. (Jeez, I don't know how many threads I have on this topic!). I've embedded the font and generated a test file which is attached.

The problem is that my newer Kindle Fire HD (the one with the front camera) displays the font correctly while my old Kindle Fire (2011) does not. At this point, I think I need to find out which devices do or don't render the embedded font correctly before I start looking at workarounds...

Could you please help me out by opening the test file on your Kindle and posting a screenshot here? Also, I'll need to know which device you're using. The idea is to test the file on all Fire variants including different generations of the same variant.

Attached Files
File Type: mobi chuti.mobi (1.44 MB, 135 views)
Nabodita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Nabodita
Connoisseur
Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.

Ok, I was stupid enough to start the same topic over in another section and got a reprimand for it. Its considered spam and yes, its in the posting guidelines so I messed up. But I digress.

I basically need the same test done on E-Ink Kindles. As far as I know, K3 and upwards should render correctly, but I really have to be sure. According to Doitsu, Bengali unicode range should be covered by the system fallback font and his initial test seems to prove this point. The attached mobi has the font embedded, though.

Anyway, please please help me out. I can't start on workarounds until I know which devices it works on and on which it doesn't.

Once the testing is done, I'll do a post compiling the results. Maybe it will help someone else too..

Last edited by Nabodita; 02-24-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabodita View Post
The attached mobi has the font embedded, though.
Unfortunately, it's not possible to embed fonts that cover Unicode blocks handled by the code2000.ttf fallback font.
I.e., enabling/disabling the Publisher Font option has no effect at all on eInk Kindles as you can see in my screenshot, which clearly shows the glyphs from the code2000.ttf font instead of the embedded SolaimanLipi font even though the Publisher Font option was enabled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K3_FW3.4.png
Views:	245
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	119509  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Nabodita
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Unfortunately, it's not possible to embed fonts that cover Unicode blocks handled by the code2000.ttf fallback font.
I.e., enabling/disabling the Publisher Font option has no effect at all on eInk Kindles as you can see in my screenshot, which clearly shows the glyphs from the code2000.ttf font instead of the embedded SolaimanLipi font even though the Publisher Font option was enabled.
I really don't know how to respond to this. How on earth am I supposed to find out if all glyphs and the letter 'khondo-to' is rendering correctly in code2000.ttf? I think I spotted a single instance of a complex glyph which might not have rendered correctly.

Mind-jammed. Will respond once I've got things sorted out in my head.

Last edited by Nabodita; 02-24-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I really don't know how to respond to this. How on earth am I supposed to find out if all glyphs and the letter 'khondo-to' is rendering correctly in code2000.ttf?
code2000.ttf is a shareware font that you can download from fontspace and embed in an ePub. (Since code2000 is huge, you might have to subset the font, though.)
To test the font, create an ePub that contains problematic letters and open it with an app that supports embedded fonts. If it renders OK with an ePub app it'll most likely also render OK on a Kindle, however, there's no guarantee, since some complex Indic languages are not supported by Kindles.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
jayajha
InstaScribe Creator
jayajha doesn't litterjayajha doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard
On Kindle Keyboard

Here is the screenshot in my Kindle Keyboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chuti_screenshot.gif
Views:	221
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	119548  
jayajha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Nabodita
Connoisseur

@ jayajha

Thanks. Your screenshot confirms that there's at least one glyph that's not rendering correctly.

@ Doitsu

Working on the test epub now. How do I subset the font? Will post back with results.

Please MR, I really need more screenshots from different devices. Help me out here!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Working on the test epub now. How do I subset the font?
The easiest way is to use "Calibre".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
Nabodita
Connoisseur

So I create a epub without font embedded and then use calibre to embed and subset the font? Thanks for the prompt reply Harry T.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Nabodita
Connoisseur

Will someone with a 2nd generation (2012) Kindle Fire please post a screenshot of the file attached in the first post? I promise I won't bother you'll anymore with this (at least, not on the Fire front! )

Pretty please with maple syrup on it?