Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
How can I get this book on my reader?

Iʻm really frustrated. I guess I have had such a good time with getting ebooks from my trusted sources, that it didnʻt occur me to not all ebooks are created equal.

I went to ETS (Educational Testing Service) and purchased this ebook, assuming itʻd be no big deal to get it onto my sony 505 to read.

I was wrong. It comes as an actual application or something? I had to install it. Then I can read the book, but my only option is to print it (we tried to "print" it to pdf with bullzip, but no dice) or read it on the screen. Iʻm sure itʻs protected in some way, but I donʻt understand what way. It looks like possibly an .exe? But I really canʻt tell for sure.

Probably, I should have somehow known this, from the description or something, but I really had no clue. Iʻm not that tech-savvy. I did email them to inquire as to how I can read the book I purchased on my own portable reading device. I hope they have an answer. I do *not* want to read this on the computer I used to download, or any computer, for that matter.

Any advice/workarounds? Iʻve tried doing some searches on google and on this site, but Iʻve been unsuccessful. Sorry if I sound like an idiot, itʻs a risk I take, being me

eta: I tried finding it using ade, calibre (which I donʻt normally use, but did download and try out last year) and the reader software... couldnʻt find it at all, even though I was looking right at it, which was my first clue I went wrong somewhere

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 05-24-2010 at 12:53 AM.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I'm not sure what the problem is Grace. They describe it as a PDF study guide.

No .pdf file got downloaded, or an ACSM file?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
What was the extension of the file you actually received?

The description says it's a PDF, but it also says it's Windows-only. Maybe someone needs to remind them what the P in Pdf stands for?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can display and print their sample. (Look inside)

I can also copy it to my desktop and import to ADE and copy to my reader.

As expected the PDF on my PRS-700 is too small to read. I upped the font, the table of contents is not very readable, but after that it seems to look OK.

Maybe the sample doesn't have any protection on it that allows me to do all of these things.

*edit*

Title page says it also comes with 3 Downloadable PPST tests, whatever they are.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-24-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I click on the book icon and hit properties, I get this: "C:\Program Files\ETS\School Psychologist Study Guide Revised 2008\school_psychologist_study_guide_ebook.exe"

These responses really do make me sound like an idiot, but both my husband and I tried to get this ebook to go somewhere and were unsuccessful. He's not nearly as technologically challenged as I am. I'm going to see if I can redownload it and see what happens....

ok, this is what the file I get to download says: school_psychologist_study_guide_revised_2008_ebook _setup.exe

I don't get why it's not a pdf, since it says it'll be a pdf...?

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 05-24-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

What operating system are you using?
Quote:
Systeme Requirements:
  • Windows: All Windows versions from Windows 95 to Windows 7.
  • Mac: eBooks can run on Macs with Intel processors running Mac OS X using the built-in utility ‘Boot Camp’ in a dual-boot configuration or ‘Parallels Software’ or ‘VMware’ plus a licensed copy of Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7. Macs with PowerPC processors are not able to run eBooks.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-24-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
When I click on the book icon and hit properties, I get this: "C:\Program Files\ETS\School Psychologist Study Guide Revised 2008\school_psychologist_study_guide_ebook.exe"
When you click on the icon, what happens?
I don't get why it's not a pdf, since it says it'll be a pdf...?
Shoud be a PDF like any other.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

It says all Windows versions (from 95 to 7) work, this computer has xp.

When I click on it, it wants to guide me through the wizard for setup. When I finish, it gives me a button to click "run", and so I run it. It runs just fine, but it's most definitely not a pdf. I'm trying to take a screen shot to show you what the document looks like, so I'm going to try to search for how to do that. I know how to do it on my work mac, but I don't use that for books....stay posted (unless you're going to bed! I know it's after 11 there)

ok, trying to get the screen shot on (oh, the things I've learned tonight!)
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ets2.bmp (951.2 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 05-24-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 AM   #9
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Is there anything else in the 'C:\Program Files\ETS\School Psychologist Study Guide Revised 2008\' folder?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

actually, there's a whole bunch of other crap in there too.... mostly .dll stuff.... my husband says it's a program designed to work with that folder.. it's in the program files... but I don't get why, when it's supposed to be a pdf!

I feel my IQ dimishing by the second.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #11
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
actually, there's a whole bunch of other crap in there too.... mostly .dll stuff.... my husband says it's a program designed to work with that folder.. it's in the program files... but I don't get why, when it's supposed to be a pdf!

I feel my IQ dimishing by the second.
Darn, I was hoping there'd be a PDF in amongst the junk!

Sounds as though they've tried to make it easy, by providing a self-contained package - and never considered that they might be making life _harder_ for some poor soul with a new-fangled thingummajiggie!!
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Were there any other choices on the download page? Sounds like you should have had access to a .pdf file somewhere. What happens if you try to download it again?
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

They've supplied you with their own PDF reader instead of ADE or Adobe Reader 9.

Their sample was easily read by Adobe Reader 9.

They must be using this to restrict your access or add some kind special interactivity.

Can you do a a generic search for *.pdf to make sure there are not PDF files there. Their website is very misleading if there is none.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

actually, forgot to mention there is a pdf folder inside, with two pdf inside, one is password protected (I have no password for it...) and the other is the help file.... which is not at all helpful. I'm now checking out the website (the document is run through digitalriver.com)

website is not helpful. all the same stuff that was on the ets site. The help guide is all about how to navigate through the document. I can do that, it's super easy. I just don't want it on my computer! The site is very misleading. I was expecting a pdf, not some bizarre program! I'm sorry, now I'm wasting everyone's time. I'm extremely frustrated

(meant to add, I did redownload it, paying careful attention to the choices I had along the way, and never really had any choices besides "run or save")

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 05-24-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #15
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

ok, now this is bizarre... I emailed customer service saying I was disappointed I couldn't get it onto my reader and I wouldn't have purchased it to read on my computer (and I wouldn't, I'd rather have a hard copy of it instead)... and I just got an email back saying they are sending me a refund (after their page clearly says NO REFUNDS!). Ooooookay.

well, thanks for all the help....

<--confuzzled