Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
JyppyJey
JyppyJey began at the beginning.

Device: iliad 2nd ed
Remove USB

Hello! I wonder if the iliad has an option to remove safely usb pendrives and sd cards. Will the pendrive be damaged if I remove it while blinking?
thanks
JyppyJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
There's no option to safely remove a usb drive or sd card from an iLiad.

I make sure I'm at a contentlister screen and don't have the cursor at the MMC/SD or USB menu item before I remove a card or usb stick.

However, if either the iLiad or usb stick are blinking, I would do a full shut down of the iLiad before removing any cards or the usb stick - just in case. Its not worth taking a chance of corrupting your files.

And... welcome to Mobileread
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The main concern is that if you're modifying/writing to the filesystem that there are still cached I/O operations that haven't been pushed through to the physical card yet. Most of the time on something like the iLiad, you're doing read-only anyway. Other than the first time you open a document it's basically just reading them. It'll be saving some changes to the manifest when you open/close, but the document itself isn't getting written to.

As cbell mentions, I think just making sure you've closed all of the documents and that the lights aren't flashing should be enough to keep you out of trouble. If you're really worried about it, then shutdown before you remove the card. I don't think that's necessary most of the time though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
JyppyJey
JyppyJey began at the beginning.

Device: iliad 2nd ed
thank you!
JyppyJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Another suggestion is that you keep a backup copy of anything you put on the SD card. That way, if something strange does happen, you still have copies of your documents.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert