Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #31
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I have never used Open Office.

I scanned the page of portable version but cannot understand the difference between standard version and portable. Most likely I missed something obvious, silly me.
I don't know of any difference beside the obvious one . You don't have to install it. Just decompress it into a folder of your choice and you're done.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #32
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I don't know of any difference beside the obvious one . You don't have to install it. Just decompress it into a folder of your choice and you're done.
Oh, I see. I thought maybe you have to install it on USB stick or something.
Thanks!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #33
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardigp View Post
... we don't want to blow money on MS Office.
You gained a lot of my respect with that remark. Once you've tried OpenOffice you'll never want to go back to the dark side (i.e., MS Office).
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #34
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
You gained a lot of my respect with that remark. Once you've tried OpenOffice you'll never want to go back to the dark side (i.e., MS Office).
Actually I sometimes do want to go back, but only because software like BD, for example, won't cooperate with OO. There is a lot of work left to be done on that level, if at all possible.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #35
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Can you have both, 2003 Office and Open Office on the same computer?
Yes--Open Office and MS Office 2003 can co-exist on the same machine. I have both installed on my computer at home.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #36
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Once you've tried OpenOffice you'll never want to go back to the dark side (i.e., MS Office).
I rather like the dark side.

[Not beating on OO.o; I use it daily on my Linux machines, but I prefer Office 2007]
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #37
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
We will evaluate including images. There are complications with how OO handles images in XHTML, exports as Base64 and sizes them proportionally to a 96dpi version of the OO page. The result is the image is probably too small. We didn't want to hold the app back while wrestling with this problem...
I'm sure you will solve that problem in a satisfactory manner. Maybe you could ask the user for the file location of the original images when exporting to ePub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
[Not beating on OO.o; I use it daily on my Linux machines, but I prefer Office 2007]
I don't use MS Office at home - OpenOffice, especially Writer and Calc, is all i need personally. Well, at work it's different. The dark side is powerful there...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #38
smurphy
Connoisseur
smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post

Well - having more than 1 machine here - I ususally always remove any MS-Office-Like products from the systems (Except my Work machine, I nerd it there for outlook - but not for Office - running inside a VMWare for security ).

BTW - I am, at work, the only one capable of converting ad-hoc any old Office document using OpenOffice. MS itself does not support old closed formats of it's own ... Reason I use OpenOffice for the future is also the Open Document Format, which will IMHO also work years in the future.
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #39
frank1960
frank1960 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi,

any chance to get it running with Open Office on Mac OS X?

Best regards

Frank
frank1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #40
mortbrew
mortbrew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Default Font Size

I am loving eScape for creating my ePubs quickly. How do I change the default font size my Sony PRS-505 displays? Books I download from feedbooks.com have a nice default font and font size. I know I'll have to edit the css somewhere. I've been finding the eScape (classic css) font size to be too small by default. Any ideas on how to change this? Thanks everyone, this site has been very useful!

Last edited by mortbrew; 03-20-2009 at 12:57 PM.
mortbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #41
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
mortbrew,
I have added a CSS customization tutorial page to the eScape online tutorial. Go to the last topic "Customizing the CSS Stylesheets".
The font size is set to 0.9em, and you can easily change it following the tutorial (I hope - I wrote it pretty fast). eScape lets you modify your stylesheets (within the predefined selector rules) anyway you like. I think that will solve your problem, but might just make a few more if you go wild with CSS! Have fun making custom CSS files and if there are any more issues or information you want just let us know.

Last edited by richardigp; 03-21-2009 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Added the target topic
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #42
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
frank
We are a very "non-Mac" operation and have no nearby Mac friends. It's programmed in Python, so there is no inherent reason why it wont run on a Mac with some interface changes. The issue is creating installables and sorting out the interface. I will ask the guys and see if we can get a Mac installation ready sometime soon as I think a lot of target users are Mac'aholics. May have to buy a powerbook one day soon!
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #43
mortbrew

Mac User Here...

Quote:
frank
We are a very "non-Mac" operation and have no nearby Mac friends. It's programmed in Python, so there is no inherent reason why it wont run on a Mac with some interface changes. The issue is creating installables and sorting out the interface. I will ask the guys and see if we can get a Mac installation ready sometime soon as I think a lot of target users are Mac'aholics. May have to buy a powerbook one day soon!
As a Mac user myself, that would be awesome! I don't mind having to fire up VMWare, but it would be nice not to have to! Where can i sign up to beta test? lol
Old 03-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #44
mortbrew

Quote:
mortbrew,
I have added a CSS customization tutorial page to the eScape online tutorial. Go to the last topic "Customizing the CSS Stylesheets".
The font size is set to 0.9em, and you can easily change it following the tutorial (I hope - I wrote it pretty fast). eScape lets you modify your stylesheets (within the predefined selector rules) anyway you like. I think that will solve your problem, but might just make a few more if you go wild with CSS! Have fun making custom CSS files and if there are any more issues or information you want just let us know.
Thanks for such a quick reply! I'll check the tutorial now.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
frank
We are a very "non-Mac" operation and have no nearby Mac friends.
You could grab a Mac mini for the Office to get your Mac version going and tested. But, then you will most certainly get everyone wanting to work on the Mac all the time!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub creation, epub creator, epub writer, odt to epub, open office to epub