Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I use the Nook HD tablet primarily to read pdf files, magazines and cookbooks. I also use apps to play audiobooks,both Audible and ones I've ripped. Finally, I take it with me when I need to take a family member to the ER so that I can stream music for the patient (all the hospitals have free wifi, although sometimes it is wonky) while I read my ereader. For day to day reading, I use an ereader, not only because it is easier on the eyes, but it takes less battery power. Average ER visit is 8 hours and the tablet dies at 5 or 6 if you are using the screen all the time (although I get much more if just streaming music).

I originally bought the tablet because I was caring for a relative who did not read and thus had poor lighting. The HD's happened to be on sale at the time for Father's Day last year, so I gave it a shot over either a PPW or a Nook Glow.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Note 1 with Moon+ on the go and at home Ipad Air with Marvin, though sometimes I use the note at home too.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

I no longer have an eInk because the latest round of tablets have much higher resolutions and higher pixel densities. The only good situation for eInks is when you are in a very brightly lit area, mostly outdoors, where tablet screens will get washed out. I rarely read outdoors so I don't miss an eInk.

I read hundreds of books on Palm, Sony, and Treo PDAs way before eInk was around. EInk screens are definitely better than the LCDs on those old PDAs were, but the latest LCD screens have far surpassed the eInks.

I mostly read on my iPad Mini Retina via the Kindle app and Marvin. My Nexus 7.2 is also good for reading, though I prefer the better Kindle app on iOS and I prefer Marvin over all the Android and other iOS reading apps. Otherwise, text rendering and reading quality is about even on these two devices.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I occasionally read on my ipad mini, but I much Prefer my kindle. I've just got a Nexus 7 so I might read on there too.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Asus TF101 10.1: with FBReader. After retiring my Kindle DS (buying the DS was big mistake, too big, too heavy) I started reading on it. FBReader is just simple, quick and does what I need. I can do other things on it too, like watch a movie or listen to music.

I wish it was a 7" as the 10.1" is a little too big for reading in bed.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I read on an Nexus 7 and Nook HD. I like both and rotate them regularly. I prefer the lighting on a tablet and color is always a plus. Reading apps like Mantano, Aldiko and Moon + among others have more options and add to the reading experience.

I find with a 7" tablet weight and size are not much of an issue any more. I rarely have any issues with daytime reading. While I still read on an e-ink devices the only real advantage for me anyway is the battery life.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I read on device that is available.
If choice, tablet is useful in low light places. Tablet usual is Nexus 7"
In sunlight, old Kindle is useful.

Device of last resort is phone but must be careful or battery dies.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH07 View Post
I have a kindle dreaded and a tablet...
What the heck is a "kindle dreaded"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What the heck is a "kindle dreaded"?
That's what auto correct makes out of "ereader." At least it has done so, for me!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #25
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with Cool Reader and Kindle app.

I use the same two apps on my phone, as well.

If I could get syncing with Cool Reader, I'd be a happy camper...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I use the following tablets for reading comics:
  • Ainol Novo7 Venus
  • Asus MeMO Pad HD 7
  • Nexus 7 (2012)
  • Nexus 7 (2013)
  • Apple iPad 4

For fiction, I've actually done the reverse and switched from mostly LCD-based to e-ink. Now that there are 200+ ppi e-ink readers with front light and wi-fi, I tend to prefer e-ink's matte display over the glossy, reflective displays on my tablets. Also, for some reason backlit LCD tends to give me migraines (or makes my migraine worse) but front-lit e-ink does not.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's what auto correct makes out of "ereader." At least it has done so, for me!
LMAO!!! Yep, that is one of the reasons I turn off auto correct as soon as I get a new device. Some of the words it changes w/o asking can be rather embarrassing when sent in email, SMS, or posted online!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #28
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Most of the people that I know who have tablets and no ereader do not read anything but comic books or magazines. I personally prefer the tablet for pdf files for craft mags and cookbooks, but for day-to-day reading, they are heavy. Far more comfy with an ereader both for the eyes and for holding (lighter than most of the paperbacks!).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Most of the people that I know who have tablets and no ereader do not read anything but comic books or magazines. I personally prefer the tablet for pdf files for craft mags and cookbooks, but for day-to-day reading, they are heavy. Far more comfy with an ereader both for the eyes and for holding (lighter than most of the paperbacks!).
Actually the latest 7" tablets are about as light as eInk readers. They have lost quite a bit of weight in the last couple of years. For example the Kindle Paperwhite 2013 eInk reader weighs 7.3 ounces (207 grams) whereas the Google Nexus 7 2013 weighs 10.2 ounces (290 grams). I think that is such a small difference as to not be very noticeable. Bigger 10" tablets would be considerably heavier though.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #30
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My HTC Touch Pro2 was my absolute favorite device because when the keyboard was extended and tilted, it held just like a book. It ruined all other form factors for me. I never wanted eink while it was still functional. For me, it's less about weight and more about weight distribution. Might be more important because I often read while laying down, so rather than resting something in my hands, I'm holding it up.

Neither my Kindle nor my Nexus 4 are really ideal, so I go back and forth between them, rather like the OP. I doubt there will be a 4" Kindle Micro with paperwhite frontlighting and a landscape sliding tilting QWERTY ...ever, so I try to make do and not think about how good I used to have it.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote