Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
64-Bit

Are there any plans to have calibre in a 64-bit version? The software will only use about 3.4 G of RAM when rendering different functions on the otherwise EXCELLENT software. I have never had problems with this software. It is very user friendly with its GUI, and the plethora of features is rich with options to manage my E-book library. And I have over 10,000 books in that library.

I have no gripes but a wish: 64-bit program to utilize more powerful systems that are inundating the marketplace and users' homes?

Would anyone else want this?
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
goldshirt9
Nameless Being

no, dont mind either 32 or 64 bit.
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
64-Bit

It's just that the 64-bit would use a lot more RAM and make the rendering/conversion process much faster.
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by country0129 View Post
It's just that the 64-bit would use a lot more RAM and make the rendering/conversion process much faster.
If there was a 64mm Calibre, I'd give it a shot,
But I wont die in a ditch if there's not.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A 64-bit Calibre would actually break things. For example, the DRM removal plugins require 32-bit and would break under 64-bit. So making Calibre 64-bit would be a rather bad thing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
64bit calibre is available for linux and os x, I have no plans to make a 64 bit windows version.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
One way to significantly speed up many (some?) functions in Calibre is to put the temp folder on RAM, if you have plenty of memory in your computer.

In Linux (I use Ubuntu) this is easy by using tempfs. To do this I added this line to the file /etc/fstab

Code:
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
This will use up to half of the available RAM and if needed also the swap partitions for the folder /tmp. As before, other unused memory will be used as disc cache. To have /tmp on tempfs may also good if you have a SSD, since it will reduce the number of writes to the SSD, increasing both performance and lifetime of the SSD.

Google /tmp fstab tmpfs for more info. Add the name of your Linux flavor.

This may also significantly speed up other programs that use /tmp a lot.

I believe something similar can be done in Windows? Then you can still take advantage of your 64 bit OS and extra memory, while running 32 bit Calibre.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
64 bit, software