Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #31
ghiavert
ghiavert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unfortunately, we're just going continue to be disappointed with the Kobo. I understand that some of this is personal preference, but you can't blame the reviewers for honest assessments. Fact is that compared to Nook and Kindle, Kobo just can not stack up. So, if you love the Kobo book store, we are stuck with an inferior device. All the rationalization and waiting for the "next update" simply will not change that.
ghiavert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiavert View Post
Unfortunately, we're just going continue to be disappointed with the Kobo. I understand that some of this is personal preference, but you can't blame the reviewers for honest assessments. Fact is that compared to Nook and Kindle, Kobo just can not stack up. So, if you love the Kobo book store, we are stuck with an inferior device. All the rationalization and waiting for the "next update" simply will not change that.
Didn't the most recent update enhance the contrast?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #33
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about, I have been very happy with my KT since the day I bought it. I think it measures up to the Nook and the Kindle very well. I would rather have my KT than a kindle, especially the newest ones that have a screen that is of a lower quality.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #34
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
I just got the Nook, and I notice a difference. Don't know the technology behind it, but seems easier to read with sharper display.
The Kobo also had a new firmware update that has crisper text.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #35
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
The Kobo Touch was WIRED magazine's Editor's Pick in their latest issue.

http://blog.kobobooks.com/kobo-touch...ired-magazine/

I think we've done quite well, and we will continue to improve

Edit: Saw that this has been posted already. Sorry for the repost.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #36
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Some of us (perhaps having average or better than average eyesight) won't see significant differences between the various ereaders. And some of us won't care about those minor differences.

I am quite happy with the level of contrast on my Kobo Touch (though I have not compared the contrast with other readers). In other words, the contrast is "good enough" for me. Contrast was never a make or break issue when considering the purchase of my reader. I wanted e-ink, I wanted Canadian, I wanted open (epub), I wanted ease of use, I wanted compact, I wanted continued fw improvements (among other things). Whether the Kobo Touch is inferior to another machine is irrelevant if it suits most of my needs. I don't need the best technology out there, I just need the best product out there for me.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #37
YukonTrooper
YukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
FYI, I received my Sony PRS-T1 and the screen, in my opinion, is worse than the Kindle 3G. The background is a duller/bluer tint compared to the brighter/more off-white color of the Kindle. Unfortunately, messing with the contrast dial on the PRS-TI is a useless endeavor, as this starts to pixelate the text.

This same duller/bluer screen can also be seen on the Kindle 4 in the YouTube review I posted earlier. It seems perhaps these newest generation screens are all alike and therefore Kobo cannot be blamed.

My coworker ordered a Kobo Touch and it should be here next week. I'll be able to confirm for myself firsthand when it arrives if the KT has the same screen issue.
YukonTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #38
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
News?

Just wondering if the KT arrived and your coworker's opinion about the screen. Thanks for any remarks. R.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #39
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have a Kobo Touch and a Kindle Keyboard. They don't seem very different to me. I don't know if the newer Kindles are better - the tech moves forward, after all - but of the two I have, I'd be hard-pressed to say which screen was better.

Of course, that is one area in which paper still has the advantage, but try making the text bigger in a paper book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote