Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
rozen
rozen began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Problem building Calibre from source on Ubuntu 10.10

Hi,

I just built version 0.7.52 on ubuntu 10.10. In order to build it I installed Python 2.7.1 and all of the necessary bits and pieces. When it finished installing calibre, it suggested that I start it by issuing the terminal command calibre. It failed to run.

It tracked the problem down to the fact that I have both python2.6 and python2.7 installed. So the command that I used to build calibre was

time sudo python2.7 setup.py install

however, when I looked at the installed python scripts such as
/usr/local/bin/calibre i saw that the first line was

#!/usr/bin/env python2

so I changed that to

#!/usr/bin/env python2.7

and it ran fine.

My system has the command 'python' invoke to python 2.6
and 'python2.7' refer to python 2.7 so that my old programs run with python 2.6 until I get all the goddies I need installed for 2.7. Needless to say, I was surprised to see the script line refer to python2.

I have calibre now working but there is a question some where.

Don
rozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The use of python2 is deliberate so calibre wont break if in the future python 2.8 is released. Incidentally, why are you building calibre from source, you can hack on calibre without needing to do that. And then you don't have tow orry about python versions and all the rest of the very messy dependencies.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert