Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #76
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
We definitely experimented with some less orthodox keyboard configuration. One member of our team tried to convince us that with the D-Pad we could build an innovative 'Quaternary search' (that's a 4 way binary search).

When we tested it with actual people, they all were able to enter text faster with a good old QWERTY keyboard than anything else.

Here's a sneak peek of a user actually using it. (and a bit more candy to go with it)

JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #77
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Have you also experimented with using some of the buttons on the left edge for some of the entry functions?

One of them could be used for changing between the 3 keyboard layouts (lower case, upper case, numeric/special character). With this type of entry it's always a pain having to move the cursor to the positions required to change format.

Another useful direct function is moving the cursor to the centre of the on-screen keyboard, making it quicker to get to the common keys such as space and Enter and backspace.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #78
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
We definitely experimented with some less orthodox keyboard configuration. One member of our team tried to convince us that with the D-Pad we could build an innovative 'Quaternary search' (that's a 4 way binary search).

When we tested it with actual people, they all were able to enter text faster with a good old QWERTY keyboard than anything else.

Here's a sneak peek of a user actually using it. (and a bit more candy to go with it)

Goodness, it would take forever to find a book with such an inefficient way. Trying to type in a long title would be tedious and make your thumb (or whatever finger you use) sore.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #79
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Goodness, it would take forever to find a book with such an inefficient way. Trying to type in a long title would be tedious and make your thumb (or whatever finger you use) sore.
I imagine you wouldn't need to type the whole title, just the first few letters or key words and then choose from a list of results
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #80
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
It seems as good as anything, all considerations considered.

I do have a Kindle 3 now and it's very nice, but I miss the empty space in the lower left that the Kobo provides. I don't like holding the Kindle by the keyboard because if you press too hard, you hit keys. Holding it by the edges is a bit dicey, too, since you have the page turn buttons on each side that you don't want to hit accidentally, and the sides are curved, making the hold more precarious than the Kobo.

I've tried shopping with the Kindle and it's a real third-rate experience compared with shopping with my PC. I don't imagine I'd shop with either the Kobo or Kindle except in very rare circumstances, whereas I'm holding the thing all the time. So all-in-all I'm happier without the keyboard.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #81
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Still not worth $149. IMO. It is like an etch a sketch compared to the Sony or Kindle.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #82
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
agreed. I wish Kobo wouldn't try to match Amazon at their game and end up putting out an inferior clone for 10 bucks more.

I'd rather they concentrated on making a 99 dollar reader that works well. no wireless, etc.

but I guess that was sorta their initial approach when they came in at 150 when every one else was over 200. then they got kneecapped by the Kindle price drop

there may just not be a viable way forward for them. I sure don't think this has a chance
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #83
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
The soft keyboard is a similar setup to the one in my PVR (Personal Video Recorder). Whenever I want to save or rename a TV programme I have to use the soft keyboard. As artig said above, it's a slow job to switch between upper and lower case. However the soft keyboard is certainly a workable solution for a device that doesn't have a hard keyboard.

I also note that the "Display" button on the side has changed to "Shop"...
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #84
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I took my Kobo with me to the Sony store to compare the PRS 650 (and to buy one for my daughter.....had a hard time handing it over) and I couldn't believe how much sharper the text was on the Sony. Almost made the Kobo look washed out.

I wonder if that has improved on the new Kobo?
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #85
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
agreed. I wish Kobo wouldn't try to match Amazon at their game and end up putting out an inferior clone for 10 bucks more.

I'd rather they concentrated on making a 99 dollar reader that works well. no wireless, etc.

but I guess that was sorta their initial approach when they came in at 150 when every one else was over 200. then they got kneecapped by the Kindle price drop

there may just not be a viable way forward for them. I sure don't think this has a chance
There are plenty of ereaders without wireless getting close to the 99 dollar mark. The initial reviews of the Kobo was the complaint that there was no wireless, so it appears Kobo is answering the call. I for one feel wireless is great, especially for people like me who don't run Win/Mac so don't have access to updated supported desktop software to sync my ereader. I have had a Kindle for 2 weeks now the wife 5. Hers has never been plugged into a computer, mine has once just to see how Calibre interacts with it. Seriously, I'd be happy to pay the little extra for wireless.

It would be nice if the wifi Kobo would allow for syncing with multiple kobo supported/partnered ebook stores. Here in Aus I can buy from Kobo, Borders Australia and Angus & Robertson. They are all interconnected but I have found at times there is a varying price between identical books. Being able to buy a Kobo and have it sync with those 3 stores would be great.

Am I considering a new Kobo? Yes. Do I need it? No. But I am a geek and the number of freebies I have got from Kobo has outweighed the price of a Kobo, so indirectly I can justify its purchase. The main reason I opted for a K3 over the existing Kobo was no real supported way of buying ebooks and putting them on the Kobo through a Linux OS. The Kindle I can download the ebook for the Kindle and drag'n drop if I choose, but I just use the wifi. Kobo have the desktop app unofficially around for Linux, but who knows when that will cease, ADE needs to be installed via wine and is reasonably reliable but still..... Wifi would solve interoperability issues between the device, purchased ebooks and a Linux OS.

The thing is, for $10 more people may be more inclined to go with it. That small amount and the ability to wireless sync purchased ebooks from Kobo (like Kindle and Amazon) but the freedom to buy from any ebook store that uses ADE.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #86
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I for one feel wireless is great, especially for people like me who don't run Win/Mac so don't have access to updated supported desktop software to sync my ereader.
Nobody has people like this on mind. One point for you.

Quote:
The Kindle I can download the ebook for the Kindle and drag'n drop if I choose, but I just use the wifi.
I was considering k3 for (people say) better screen. Maybe it is not.
Wifi with "hack" for ssh will be fine on it. Rsync even better.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #87
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I took my Kobo with me to the Sony store to compare the PRS 650 (and to buy one for my daughter.....had a hard time handing it over) and I couldn't believe how much sharper the text was on the Sony. Almost made the Kobo look washed out.

I wonder if that has improved on the new Kobo?
The new Kobo does have better readability as one of its improvements, though it does not seem they have the new Pearl technology as the Sony does.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #88
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The new one has 16 levels of gray scale--which is the same as Pearl. I guess we will have to wait until the new one is released to see what, if any, difference there is between the 16 that is on Pearl screens and the 16 that come on the new Kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #89
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
You know, if this were priced at $99 dollars, I would buy one immediately. Since I already have an ebook reader I think I'm going to wait for this one to go down in price some before I think about buying it as a second e-reader.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #90
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Six months ago ereaders in Australia could not be purchased for under AU$200. The cheapest that was the K2i and that needed to be imported, so no local support.

Over six months ago, ereaders available for purchase here were over AU$300 up to $650.

The arrival of the sub AU$200 Kobo has shaken the ereader market here to the core, reducing prices across the board.

I would like to see the Kobo reduced to sub AU$150 here to encourage even more competition. However, I doubt it will ever get to the magic amount of US$99 here.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote