> 8000 3 5.45%
Yes, i'm getting more page turns now 20 36.36%
No, i am NOT getting more page turns 6 10.91%
No, i am getting LESS page turns 11 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
[Firmware 1.4] How many page turns are you getting

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone is now getting reaching the perpetrated 8000 page turns on their reader ever since the firmware upgrade.

I believe i've seen an improvement, but still far short of the 8000 page turns.

O yes, please vote on both sections.

Last edited by Bismar; 07-04-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Don't you think it's a little early to be asking how many people have read eight 1,000 page novels since they installed the update -at most- two days ago?

I don't read that fast, and I also have a few other projects on the go...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

True, but i've read through 3 novels so far as its currently my uni break, and from what i've seen my battery was very close to 0 on the bar.

So i'm just wondering about other peoples experiences. I'm sure there are other speed/ avid readers like me out there who are literally swallowing pages with their eyes to find out what happens next ....

Last edited by Bismar; 07-04-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
You can always click the page turn button just for the fun of it..lol
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
How are people keeping track of page's read?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Bismar
Connoisseur

Most books have a consistent amount of page turns before the page numbers change.

Find out how many this is and multiply against number of pages.

Walaa :")
Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
The ePubs that I have read so far I have to click next page about 3 times until the page number changes....
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
The ePubs that I have read so far I have to click next page about 3 times until the page number changes....
So, why do ePubs work this way? I mean, why is one page worth up to 3 pages and why isn't the page reflow calculated in a way to determine the actual number of pages? Can anybody explain this?

Thanks
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
There was a thread around somewhere about this, I can't recall its title. Basically, about 2000 or 2048 characters make one page, regardless of how many fit on the screen. I think it is supposed to allow you to find your place regardless of the font size you happen to be using at the moment.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #10
Bismar
Connoisseur

On my 2nd charge and discovered something odd.

I've seem to lost 1/4 battery power from it 'powered off' for a day whereas 2100 page turns only reduced it by a little more then half. This seems a little broken......

Going to try and run it dry now with another book and see how many pages i can get.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
On my 2nd charge and discovered something odd.

I've seem to lost 1/4 battery power from it 'powered off' for a day whereas 2100 page turns only reduced it by a little more then half. This seems a little broken......

Going to try and run it dry now with another book and see how many pages i can get.
Yes, that seems to be the same for me. I lose 1/4 power within the first day of charging it, then it stays that way for quite awhile before it goes to 1/2. I didn't count the number of pages, but I suspect it would be close to what you've reported. I'll be curious to hear how many pages you get before it tells you to recharge...apparently it has a 'low battery' indicator now.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Since the upgrade, I had a fully charged reader & have read approximately 100 pages. The battery indicator has dropped to 1/2 charge.

I am hoping this is just a glitch. I had my original reader replaced due to short battery life (max 800 pages) and before the firmware update it seemed to be lasting forever. I can deal with all the other trade offs (losing cover art, "locked content" for non-DRM books, the I'm Reading list that can not be managed), but I hope the battery life will actually last more than a day or 2.

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Bismar
Connoisseur

Bump. 800 views 10 votes? You guys using your kobo as paper weights or something
Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
OK, I'm either a glutton for punishment or overly curious. This will be a multi-day test. I charged my kobo until the light turned blue (1.4 firmware). Then I began the following sequence: 100 page turns, 2 menu presses (to check battery indicator), and an idle-induced sleep & power-off after every 1000 pages. Here's the results from the 1st 1000:

0 - full batt
100 - full batt
200 - 1st level drop
300 - no change
400 - no change
500 - no change
600 - no change
700 - no change
800 - no change
900 - no change
1000 - no change

Stay tuned...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Next 1000...

power-on - no change
1100 - no change
1200 - 2nd level drop
1300 - no change
1400 - no change
1500 - no change
1600 - no change
1700 - no change
1800 - no change
1900 - no change