Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
nortstudio
nortstudio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Please, tell me this happens to everyone!

I recently got a PRS300 that i TRY to use with a Mac.

I had the hardest time getting my original Sony Library software to work, but with the help of the good people here, deleted all the files and jumped through hoops to get it working fine (for one sync).

I arrive home from a trip to find an update available. Download and install it. Now the same old crap is happening. The sync just sits and tries to work - but sits and sits! I cancel.

Then I try to just drag and drop some new books onto the reader and it does the same damn thing! Ugh!!!!

Is there a way around this? Is there another program that works well with these readers? I am an audio engineer - and deal with glitchy programs every day, and I have never been so frustrated after paying good money for a product.

Any help will be much appreciated.
nortstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Oh dear, yes lots of problems it seems with the new sony software. I tried updating mine and couldn't even get it to download so I've left it for now!

Please have a look at Calibre which is excellent ereader software here that I use for my Sony ereader. It has its own forum here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Hope that helps you. P.S I've never actually used the sony software even though I have the old version installed!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I tried the new Sony software, didn't like what I saw, uninstalled it and went back to the old version. I like that one. Sometimes, 'newer' isn't 'better.'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Download CleanApp and use it to remove the Sony Library (it gets rid of all the extra stuff installed). IIRC, you can remove a few apps before you have to pay for CleanApp.

Then, either reinstall Sony Library or, as suggested, switch to Calibre, which actually works
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
nortstudio
nortstudio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks for the help. I am going to try Calibre. Does it work the same? i can purchase books where I want and then load them onto the reader.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but after my experience with this Sony software - I am really turned off by the whole process.
nortstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Calibre certainly works with all my free ebooks and ones which I have purchased as well. When you get the software loaded on your pc, open it up and click on the Add Books button to start adding ebooks to it.

I've had no problems with the Calibre software and I get easily confused by things like this. Seems pretty easy to me.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
lizb627
lizb627 began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader
I have a Sony PRS-505 and my Mom loved it so I purchased her the PRS-300 I could not for the life of me get the reader library to download. I want to say thank you to the people who suggested Calibre. You ended MANY HOURS of frustration! I think it's user friendly too, so my technologically challenged mother will probably be able to figure it out!! THANK YOU
lizb627 is offline   Reply With Quote