Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Prices of e-book readers not likely to drop soon

Prices of e-book readers are not likely to drop to below USD 100 next year, chairman of Prime View International (PVI), Scott Liu, said. Liu argues that the market has only just begun to take off and there is little need for vendors to reduce prices to compete, The Digitimes reports. However, he does say that some vendors may lower prices of e-book readers to attract users aiming to gain profits from selling content.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
OK, but was anyone reasonably expecting ebook readers to fall below $100 USD next year?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I wasn't even expecting them to fall to U$100 for at least a couple of years yet. $150 is the best I would expect over the next year, and that's for something like the PRS 300 on sale.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Yes, but he's an eInk guy.

We've got the jetBook Lite going for $149 and the JC Penney SimplicitE pegged to go at $129.

I can definitely see someone offering a sub-$100 device fairly soon. I don't expect it to be eInk, but I don't see the world of manufacturers waiting on the sidelines and doing nothing just because PVI wants to keep its price up. There are too many potential customers waiting for the price to fall below $100 to buy their first eBook reader for manufacturers to ignore.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I guess that is just but reasonable.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I expect more sub $200 ones, but not under $100 for a while, regardless of display
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
If not below $100, then it'll probably be close. I don't really care about that so much...I just want someone to make a good device. I'll happily pay $150-200+ for a good device if ever one is made.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
£60 ($100) seems ridiculously cheap to me. The cheapest device on sale in the UK that I know of is the Sony PRS-300, at £179.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
I believe that there will be a price "tipping point" somewhere around $50. This is where people will find it reasonable to buy a reader for each family member. Eventually we'll get there, but in the meantime bookstores like B&N should be considering plans similar to mobile phones - e.g., $20/month for the device, including one free book per month, on a three year contract.
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauheim View Post
I believe that there will be a price "tipping point" somewhere around $50. This is where people will find it reasonable to buy a reader for each family member. Eventually we'll get there, but in the meantime bookstores like B&N should be considering plans similar to mobile phones - e.g., $20/month for the device, including one free book per month, on a three year contract.
I really can't agree with you. At least here in the UK, eBook readers are in the same price bracket as iPods, and iPods sell extremely well. The £150-£250 price range which most readers occupy is well within the "impulse buy" range for many people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
if I had had to deal with a monthly contract, I probably still would be without a device. for me that is a huge negative
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Not to be rude but what are you smoking? If someone doesn't want to pay $200 for a reader, why would they pay $720 over three years for a measly one book a month? Perhaps if it was an unlimited subscription model a la Napster where you can listen to as much music as you want then perhaps I could see that working. Otherwise you could just buy a reader for $200 and still have $520 left to spend on books (52 paperbacks) and not worry about being locked into yet another plan.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
if I had had to deal with a monthly contract, I probably still would be without a device. for me that is a huge negative
Yep!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Grauheim
Enthusiast
Grauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litterGrauheim doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Opus; HTC TyTN II
My posts do seem to generate a reaction these days! Honestly, it's not on purpose.

First, we all have to be aware that our personal preferences do not necessarily reflect those of the broader public. The very fact that you post on this forum means that you are a technophile and an early adopter. So Harry, to you £150-£250 for a gadget may be an "impulse buy", while for the general public, this would be a major purchase.

Second, the analogy to iPods is not obvious. Listening to music is far more popular than reading books. And the average age (I assert without proof) of people buying books is older than that of people buying music; young people are not only more oriented to gadgets, but also have more disposable income. Mobile phones are a better analogy. People have the choice of paying full price for a phone versus taking on a contract. The vast, vast majority of people go with the contract option.

Third, the $200 option for a reader (which really is cheap! - I just paid 250 Euros for my Opus!) is perhaps fine for one person, but represents $800 for a family of four.

Canuck in Japan - hmm, my $20 figure was off the top of my head. Maybe it's possible to do a simple reader + 1 book/month for $15. That's the price of a World of Warcraft subscription. Or do a family plan where you can all share your books. And I agree with you, the Napster model is ideal. I would pay for that.
Grauheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really can't agree with you. At least here in the UK, eBook readers are in the same price bracket as iPods, and iPods sell extremely well. The £150-£250 price range which most readers occupy is well within the "impulse buy" range for many people.
The iPod is cool.
It's a must have among the youngest (and the middle aged who play young).
Every other player is perceived as a wannabe...
And coolness is priceless.

Is the ebook reader cool enough?
I doubt it

OK, I know some ebook readers are actually Cool-er....

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote