Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
Stratogirl
Stratogirl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Question Help converting Djvu to mobi

I've been looking for a book that I can't find in my country.
A friend of mine got me a scanned djvu version of the book and I'm trying to convert it to read it on the Kindle.
I understand that there are software that can convert it to pdf but I would prefer to convert it to mobi because the scanned djvu is really bad and I would prefer to have it in a reflowable format.

I was able to save the djvu into txt via WinDjView then loaded the txt into Word.
The book has illustrations so I will have to do some screen captures, edit the pictures and load them into Word.
Plus I have to clean all the page numbers and headers.

But the biggest problem I'm having now is that the txt file has line breaks in each line (because of the limited page size of the scanned document).
Is there a way that I can eliminate these breaks without having to delete them manually one by one?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
RobbieRobot
RobbieRobot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Lightbulb HTML

You could use some very simple HTML tags to mark the beginnings of the paragraphs. All the lines in the paragraphs will then flow because of the nature of HTML.

Here is a little filter program written in perl which expects to read plain text from STDIN and prints simple HTML to STDOUT

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
# Convert plain text with a blank line between paragraphs into html
#
use strict;

my ($rope, @html);

while (<STDIN>) {
$_ =~ s/\r//; # make all text look like unix text
$_ =~ s/\x0c//;
$_ =~ s/\n/\xff/;
push(@html,$_);
}

$rope = join("\xff",@html); # Make one huge string

$rope =~ s/\xff\xff\xff/\n<p>/ig;# Convert double new-line into paragraph
#print $rope; exit;
$rope =~ s/\xff\s+/\n<p>/ig; # Convert single new-line followed by whitespace into paragraph
$rope =~ s/\xff/ /ig; # Convert remaining new-lines into spaces

$rope =~ s/\[\d+\]//g; # [32] etc tags from .PDF saved as .txt

print "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>From text2HTML</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>\n\n";
print $rope;
print"\n\n</BODY></HTML>\n";
#EOF
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
sourcejedi
Groupie
sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sourcejedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
That only helps if it has double-line breaks in the first place.

(And if you're using Word, you may as well just use Search and Replace All. Lessee... "^l" means line break. So replace ^l^l with ^p, and then all the remaining ^l with the empty string, deleting them).
Old 07-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
Thread closed. MR is firmly opposed to ebook piracy.

Closed Thread