Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #46
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
Do you intend to support (reflowable) LRF with your new ebook viewer? When I try to view LRF, a single page doesn't fit on my limited-resolution-screen without needing scrolling. Is LRF even possible to reflow like this?

I have figured out that epub seems to work better for me on both my Sony Reader & computer viewing and so have switched my default to epub & will be converting my books over to it.
Just thought I'd mention for others who may be using a netbook. I just got my daughter an Eee PC netbook, the screen resolution is 1024x600. This makes using the Calibre LRF viewer awkward, but Kovidgoyal has provided the option to uncheck the box and have the default viewing go elsewhere. The Sony Connect software is perfect for these netbooks.

Once you have a lrf opened in the Sony viewer just hit F11. This uses the full screen and displays 2 pages. Move the mouse and a control bar and access to the TOC will pop up. From here you can adjust the font size and the text reflows perfectly across the 2 pages provided.

I thought my daughter was going to be SOL and unable to easily use the great books that have been provided here. Thankfully this is one area that the Sony software excels.

Having this great option available for netbooks saves having to convert over books you already have formatted.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-29-2009 at 01:45 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #47
LadyRockett
LadyRockett began at the beginning.

Device: none
eReader Format?

Hello! I just downloaded calibre and so far, so good, except for one thing. I have an eBook that is in eReader format (.pdb) and apparently it is not supported. Is it this an error/glitch or does the viewer not support this type of file? And if not, will it in the future?

Thanks in advance!
LadyRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #48
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
pdb will be suported in the 0.6 release of calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #49
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
pdb will be suported in the 0.6 release of calibre
That will be great. Thanks.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #50
LadyRockett
LadyRockett began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you! Can't wait.
LadyRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #51
dieterf
dieterf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone
Drawing Issue Mac OS X 10.5.6 / calibre 0.5.14 (Special OS X issue?)

Before "Next Page":

After "Next Page": (Drawing Issue)

After "Click in Textarea":
dieterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This should be fixed in 0.6
Old 07-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #53
dieterf
dieterf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This should be fixed in 0.6
Have tested the 0.6 Beta ... i confirm, that it is fixed ... many thanks!
dieterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #54
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Two oddities about the viewer

I've been experiencing many small problems with the viewer for awhile now, and I've been trying to distill their causes. I've indentified two regular sources of screwiness.

I'm using the Linux version 0.6.5, but I've experienced the same problem with older versions, and, if I recall correctly, the Windows version.

Both are exemplified in the following attempt at a minimal (un)working example. Take the following and save it as an HTML file:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" />
<title>Calibre Ebook Viewer Tester</title>
</head>
<body>
<p>&alpha; Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing 
elit. &beta; Quisque gravida volutpat neque, sit amet ullamcorper 
sem pharetra ultrices. &gamma; Vivamus vel consectetur 
est. &delta; Aliquam erat volutpat.</p>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque 
non arcu odio, in pulvinar 
ante. <span style="font-style: italic;"></span>(&eta;) Aenean 
elementum tincidunt est id imperdiet. Ut mi justo, vestibulum sed 
iaculis ut, fermentum pharetra diam. (&zeta;) Nam dapibus 
dolor&mdash;&theta;&mdash;sed libero 
aliquet consectetur ac vitae ipsum. Integer fringilla aliquam 
vulputate. [&iota;]<sup>&kappa;</sup> Ut mollis, diam eget feugiat 
tincidunt, nisi libero dapibus ante, vitae commodo turpis diam luctus 
dolor.</p> 
</body>
</html>
Two things to note here (1) HTML 4.0 codes for Greek letters, and (2) a redundant <span = ..> tag for italics that is immediately closed, so shouldn't apply to anything. Redundant tags like this are of course bad form for an HTML author, but they are ubiquitous anyway.

Anyway, these two things seem to regularly result in problems for calibre's ebook viewer.

Anyway, here's what the HTML file looks like in Firefox (as it should):

However, take the same file, put into calibre, and convert it to an ePub. (I'm using whatever the default settings are.) Then View Specific Format > ePub. I usually get something like this:

• The rest of the paragraph after the redundant tag is in italics; the closing tag is not being respected.
  • Many Greek letters are misplaced, and some even misplace or distort other things around them:
  • The gamma is misplaced onto the word before it.
  • Zeta and the parenthesis after it are placed before where they should be, and the parenthesis that should be before it drifts afterwards.
  • The word "dapibus" and "ante" are mysteriously spaced out, when there's nothing in the code to suggest they should be different.
  • One of the brackets around iota has drifted... the Kappa superscript has drifted too.
  • Some of the lines are not justified with the rest.
Often, resizing the view window will magically fix the Greek letter problems, or change them to different problems, but when there are many on the same page, almost always at least one is misplaced, or causes other things on the same line to be misplaced.

I'm almost positive the problems are with the viewer, not the conversion, since the resulting epub works fine with other software or on my reader. However, it could be some interplay between them.

I guess this could be an issue with my video setup somehow--it has some issues with KDE/Qt-apps running under GNOME, calibre included--but I don't think so.

Update:

I opened up the resulting ePub to see if the problem lies there. In the converted html, the <span style="font-style: italic;"></span> has been changed to <span class="calibre2"/>; I guess having "/>" at the end without a separate </span> isn't enough to close it. so I guess that problem actually is with the conversion, not the viewing of it.

The Greek letters are replaced by their UTF-8 equivalents, but I don't see why that should be a problem.

Last edited by frabjous; 08-14-2009 at 02:01 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually both those problems are with the library calibre uses to render HTML. I'll code a workaround for the spn issue into the converter, but I'm not sure what I can do about the greek symbols being messed up. All I can suggecst is that in the viewer preference try a different font.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Here's what viwewing that html snippet in calibre's viewer now looks like (on my system)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viewer1.png
Views:	393
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	34241  
Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #57
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Many thanks, Kovid. Mind if I ask what font you're using there? I tried almost all the normal fonts on my system, and there wasn't much difference between them.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's the standard fonts that come with calibre Liberation Serif in this case
Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #59
frabjous
Wizard

Oh, that's what i was using originally. I wonder why it behaves differently for us.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #60
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Likely something in your environment that's messing up rendering. Unfortunately, I have no idea what. calibre uses Qt WebKit to do the HTML rendering.

Tags
calibre, ebook, open source, viewer